GCS Forum: Sand ginger - GCS Forum

Page 1 of 1

Sand ginger Storage instructions

#1 User is offline   rob600 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 10 January 2011 - 09:30 PM

I have recenly bought several fresh sand ginger rhizomes for cooking. I dont live in asia and cant buy them here in the UK i want to store some for later use.

Cant anyone recomend the best way for me to store them to get the longest storage period out of them.

in the past I have stored normal ginger and galangal in the fridge but it only lasts up to 8 weeks at best, i would like to be able to store what i have for longer.

At the moment they are wrapped in newspaper in a bag.

Is freezing the roots an option?

Thanks
Rob

This post has been edited by rob600: 10 January 2011 - 09:39 PM

#2 User is offline   Chawanmushi 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Trying to get green things to grow at Chawan's Landing!

Posted 10 January 2011 - 09:39 PM

This is what I do with the gingers I bought.
If I intend to cook them .... I peel away the skin, slice them up and put the slices in a zip bloc bag and put the bag in the freezer compartment. I you intend to use the ginger for grating, you just need to separate the rhizomes and then put in plastic bag and store in freezer.

When you need to use them, just take the required slices you need. You don't need to defrost them or thaw them .... the slices will become mushy if you did that. Use them right away when taken out from the freezer.

hth

This post has been edited by Chawanmushi: 10 January 2011 - 09:42 PM

#3 User is offline   rob600 

• PipPip

Posted 11 January 2011 - 01:52 PM

View PostChawanmushi, on 10 January 2011 - 09:39 PM, said:

This is what I do with the gingers I bought.
If I intend to cook them .... I peel away the skin, slice them up and put the slices in a zip bloc bag and put the bag in the freezer compartment. I you intend to use the ginger for grating, you just need to separate the rhizomes and then put in plastic bag and store in freezer.

When you need to use them, just take the required slices you need. You don't need to defrost them or thaw them .... the slices will become mushy if you did that. Use them right away when taken out from the freezer.

hth

Hi

yes i will be using them for cooking so i will store them the same way as you do

Many thanks for the advice,

Rob
:)/>

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users