GCS Forum: Arrow head bulbs and water chestnut - GCS Forum

Page 1 of 1

Arrow head bulbs and water chestnut how to plant?

#1 User is offline   vernon 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 28 December 2010 - 03:34 PM

Hi all
surprised to see arrow head bulbs this afternoon at NTUC marine parade; thought i try growing to prepare for CNY any experience to share; potting medium, growing condition etc?? thanks
PS also thinking of throwing some water chest into the pond to see how

#2 User is offline   ArborVitae 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 28 December 2010 - 04:33 PM

View Postvernon, on 28 December 2010 - 03:34 PM, said:

Hi all
surprised to see arrow head bulbs this afternoon at NTUC marine parade; thought i try growing to prepare for CNY any experience to share; potting medium, growing condition etc?? thanks
PS also thinking of throwing some water chest into the pond to see how

hi vernon, my mom has been growing arrowheads every cny. the largest they grow were as tall as a 4 year old (when i was 4!). choose big big bulbs, wash till the bulb is clean then grow them in water and pebbles. do not use shallow dish or pan. use deep ceramic pots or bowl, if not they will tumble over. change water daily to prevent sticky goo from forming n the surface. i d tried adding in activated bamboo charcoal to keep water clean. just give them bright light. can tie the leafs with strip of red paper or ribbon when the leafs grow tall,or else they can get messy.

water chestnuts. grew in water before in a small glass bowl. thin satay-stick like stiff dark green leafs. not so impressive on their own. and are messier than arrowheads. but never try them in ponds before.

i suggest that u try collecting mandarin orange seeds and grw them en-mass in a small and beautiful pot. they will keep you occupied for months. tidy, small and refreshing and fuss-free

#3 User is offline   vernon 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 28 December 2010 - 04:56 PM

View PostArborVitae, on 28 December 2010 - 04:33 PM, said:

hi vernon, my mom has been growing arrowheads every cny. the largest they grow were as tall as a 4 year old (when i was 4!). choose big big bulbs, wash till the bulb is clean then grow them in water and pebbles. do not use shallow dish or pan. use deep ceramic pots or bowl, if not they will tumble over. change water daily to prevent sticky goo from forming n the surface. i d tried adding in activated bamboo charcoal to keep water clean. just give them bright light. can tie the leafs with strip of red paper or ribbon when the leafs grow tall,or else they can get messy.

water chestnuts. grew in water before in a small glass bowl. thin satay-stick like stiff dark green leafs. not so impressive on their own. and are messier than arrowheads. but never try them in ponds before.

i suggest that u try collecting mandarin orange seeds and grw them en-mass in a small and beautiful pot. they will keep you occupied for months. tidy, small and refreshing and fuss-free

Thanks ArborVitae
does arrowhead flowers or just foliage; just toying with idea of going into water plants

#4 User is offline   Kingfisher 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 28 December 2010 - 05:16 PM

Have also grown water chestnut in mud and water super long ago, can only remembered it grow leaves on long stem.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users