GCS Forum: growing perilla - GCS Forum

• 2 Pages +

growing perilla

#1 User is offline   elwingo 

• Advance Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 28 December 2010 - 11:17 AM

my korean friend sent me some perilla seeds. super easy to germinate and i've just transplanted the seedlings to a bigger pot..

http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/ss143/elwingo/Image007-31.jpg

perilla leaves are spicy and are usually used as wraps for bbq meats. they are known as gaenip in korean and i think shisu, in japanese?

i've passed some seeds to some members here. so how are your perillas doing?

#2 User is offline   skyfiery 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Photography. Nature. Horseback-riding. Nature. Spirituality. Esoteric beliefs. Philosophy. Astronomy. Canines. Lupines. Golden eagles. Native American and Celtic cultures.

Posted 28 December 2010 - 03:56 PM

They're looking good, T. :)/>

Sky

#3 User is offline   Abby Lim 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:All plants, Bonsai & cooking

Posted 28 December 2010 - 04:54 PM

View Postelwingo, on 28 December 2010 - 11:17 AM, said:

my korean friend sent me some perilla seeds. super easy to germinate and i've just transplanted the seedlings to a bigger pot..

http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/ss143/elwingo/Image007-31.jpg

perilla leaves are spicy and are usually used as wraps for bbq meats. they are known as gaenip in korean and i think shisu, in japanese?

i've passed some seeds to some members here. so how are your perillas doing?

Oh dear, I thought I have reported with photo more than a week ago, now also don't know where I posted. Just found my photo, now their have 4 leaves each and go to bigger pots too.

http://i1022.photobucket.com/albums/af344/LynnGoh/IMG_3619.jpg

#4 User is offline   elwingo 

• Advance Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 29 December 2010 - 11:42 AM

abby - looking good! did u brush your fingers over the leaves? the leaves are v fragrant. do u think we can grow enough to supply to korean restaurants here? hahaha..they always say the leaves are too expensive to be imported from korea...

#5 User is offline   Abby Lim 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 29 December 2010 - 12:14 PM

View Postelwingo, on 29 December 2010 - 11:42 AM, said:

abby - looking good! did u brush your fingers over the leaves? the leaves are v fragrant. do u think we can grow enough to supply to korean restaurants here? hahaha..they always say the leaves are too expensive to be imported from korea...

You go and check how much they willing to pay for the freshly harvested locally leaf before we decide how to supply, let see how fast the plants can grow and last, if there are demand for it from both Jap & Korean restaurant, even some medical book in Chinese ever mentioned its medical benefit.

The little fellows are too small to brush la, have to wait for it to grow a bit bigger, my neighbour show me her plants before and I can't get any scent of it, may be not a true one, it look like coleus to me.

#6 User is offline   elwingo 

• Advance Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 30 December 2010 - 11:54 AM

View PostAbby Lim, on 29 December 2010 - 12:14 PM, said:

The little fellows are too small to brush la, have to wait for it to grow a bit bigger, my neighbour show me her plants before and I can't get any scent of it, may be not a true one, it look like coleus to me.

abby even the small seedlings have strong smell. try again lah. when the leaves are big, then we have another excuse for a bbq. teck chye, u reading this? haha

#7 User is offline   pinkfrizz 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 30 December 2010 - 03:23 PM

hello elwingo! Perilla is also known as shiso (in Japanese) or 紫蘇. :)/>

#8 User is offline   elwingo 

• Advance Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 30 December 2010 - 05:06 PM

tks pinkfrizz for the correction!!

#9 User is offline   Abby Lim 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 30 December 2010 - 09:12 PM

View Postpinkfrizz, on 30 December 2010 - 03:23 PM, said:

hello elwingo! Perilla is also known as shiso (in Japanese) or 紫蘇. http://www.greenculturesg.com/forum/public/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif

Copy this from google search for easy "eating"http://www.greenculturesg.com/forum/public/style_emoticons/default/flowers.gif

食材
[编辑] 中国
紫苏在中国种植约有2000年历史,明代李时珍曾记载:“紫苏嫩时有叶,和蔬茹之,或盐及梅卤作菹食甚香,夏月作熟汤饮之”,可見紫蘇在中国人的饮食中很常见。中国人用紫苏烹制各种菜肴,常佐食用,烹制的菜肴包括紫苏干烧鱼、紫苏、紫苏炒田螺、苏盐贴饼、紫苏百合羊肉、铜盆紫苏蒸乳羊等。

[编辑] 日本
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/a8/Red_Shiso_-_Perilla_frutescens_var._crispa_f._purpurea.jpg/220px-Red_Shiso_-_Perilla_frutescens_var._crispa_f._purpurea.jpg http://bits.wikimedia.org/skins-1.5/common/images/magnify-clip.png日本红紫苏(アカジソ)紫苏深受日本人欢迎,是日本料理中的代表性风味调料之一。[4]日本紫苏的叶片两面均为绿色,习称“青紫苏”。日本最主要的品种是荏胡麻(Perilla frutescens var. frutescens)、皱紫苏(Perilla frutescens var. crispa f. crispa)和红紫蘇(Perilla frutescens var. crispa f. purpurea)。而在北美洲,人们也越来越倾向于使用紫苏的日语发音“Shiso”(シソ)来称呼这种植物。

青紫苏的叶和花作为蔬菜食用,可用于制作刺身天妇罗。苏叶在日本称为「大葉(おおば)」。

日本红紫苏的叶用作酸梅的着色剂,干燥的苏叶用来制作京都产的七味粉以及Furikake(振り掛け,一种在饭上撒上三文鱼粉、紫菜末、海带、食盐和蔬菜等食材的混合食品)。熟透的果实和花穗可用于制作刺身。

两种日本紫苏的花萼和嫩果实都可以作为茶渍饭的配料。

日本人还会用荏胡麻的种子制作味噌

[编辑] 韩国
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/2c/Korean_perilla_leaves.jpg/220px-Korean_perilla_leaves.jpg http://bits.wikimedia.org/skins-1.5/common/images/magnify-clip.png韩国泡菜使用的紫苏叶韩国的紫苏变种的叶片比日本青紫苏要更大、更圆、更为平坦,而且锯齿较为细密,一面是紫红色,一面是绿色。韩国人用紫苏制作泡菜,基本上在全世界的韩国货商店中都有紫苏泡菜罐头销售,在这种罐头中,每两片紫苏叶包裹着一个红辣椒。新鲜的紫苏叶可用来制作沙拉。紫苏子用作肉类食品的调料,也用来制作紫苏芝麻盐。韩国人在吃烤肉习惯用新鲜的紫苏叶或辣椒叶搭配,而目前韩国人掀起了用紫苏叶补的热潮,因为紫苏叶富含钙质。[5]

韩国人用紫蘇(Perilla frutescens)的种子压榨食用油,或者用种子磨成粉加入中作调味品。

[编辑] 越南
越南人用在炖菜和煮菜中加入紫苏叶,或者将紫苏叶摆放在越南米粉上作为装饰。他们使用的紫苏品种的叶子一面红中带绿,一面是紫色,与日本紫苏品种相比香气更浓。

Who have the purple leaf type, please share with me, my anut is looking for it.

#10 User is offline   Abby Lim 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 19 January 2011 - 06:08 PM

I am eating the young perilla, so nice! thanks Tim for the seeds, I will look for a bigger pot to transplant them, if not they will all botak soon.

http://inlinethumb53.webshots.com/20724/2486561180106894901S425x425Q85.jpg

#11 User is offline   Abby Lim 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 27 January 2011 - 01:58 PM

View PostAbby Lim, on 19 January 2011 - 06:08 PM, said:

I am eating the young perilla, so nice! thanks Tim for the seeds, I will look for a bigger pot to transplant them, if not they will all botak soon.

http://inlinethumb53.webshots.com/20724/2486561180106894901S425x425Q85.jpg

Now all the little fellow decided to bloom than grow leaf, just wonder shall I cut it all out like coleus.

http://i1022.photobucket.com/albums/af344/LynnGoh/IMG_3985.jpg

Tim, how are your perilla doing now?

#12 User is offline   elwingo 

• Advance Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 29 January 2011 - 09:14 PM

some have started blooming too. i will remove the flowers to let them form more leaves. so far i have not tried them. abby, do u eat them on their own or do u use them as a wrap? u can put some rice on the leaves with some meat and kimchi. also, u can do perilla kimchi...

#13 User is offline   Abby Lim 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 29 January 2011 - 11:20 PM

View Postelwingo, on 29 January 2011 - 09:14 PM, said:

some have started blooming too. i will remove the flowers to let them form more leaves. so far i have not tried them. abby, do u eat them on their own or do u use them as a wrap? u can put some rice on the leaves with some meat and kimchi. also, u can do perilla kimchi...

Eat fresh also not enough, how to do kimchi! Too young to bloom will not grow big. I eat it on their own to feel the taste, I like it, esp the after taste between the teeth.

#14 User is offline   elwingo 

• Advance Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 02 February 2011 - 12:22 PM

View PostAbby Lim, on 29 January 2011 - 11:20 PM, said:

Eat fresh also not enough, how to do kimchi! Too young to bloom will not grow big. I eat it on their own to feel the taste, I like it, esp the after taste between the teeth.

yah i did wonder why they bloomed so quickly. our hot weather? i munched a leaf this morning. it tasted v fresh, almost like mint but not as strong. i also removed all the flowers. hopefully more leaves will grow

#15 User is offline   carmen 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 02 April 2011 - 10:01 PM

Wow!! Japanese shiso can be grown in Spore?

I can only get the imported leaves from isetan or meidiya.

They are marvellous in mentaiko pasta.

But the ones above do not look exactly like shiso, the leaves' edges are less serrated.

This post has been edited by carmen: 02 April 2011 - 10:13 PM

#16 User is offline   Abby Lim 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 08 May 2011 - 02:19 PM

Hi Tim, how are your perilla doing? mine all dried up with the seeds pod with them and self sow for 2nd generation, but it become wrost, even younger and shorter already flowering.

http://i1022.photobucket.com/albums/af344/LynnGoh/IMG_4728.jpg

And the leaf all so small, have to eat the whole plant.

#17 User is offline   elwingo 

• Advance Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 09 May 2011 - 10:54 AM

View PostAbby Lim, on 08 May 2011 - 02:19 PM, said:

Hi Tim, how are your perilla doing? mine all dried up with the seeds pod with them and self sow for 2nd generation, but it become wrost, even younger and shorter already flowering.
And the leaf all so small, have to eat the whole plant.

i find the plants flower too early. maybe it's our hotter weather? i dead head the flowers but more flower spikes keep sprouting. and right, the leaves become smaller too... so now that flower pot is growing bachelor buttons! haha

#18 User is offline   Abby Lim 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 09 May 2011 - 12:33 PM

View Postelwingo, on 09 May 2011 - 10:54 AM, said:

i find the plants flower too early. maybe it's our hotter weather? i dead head the flowers but more flower spikes keep sprouting. and right, the leaves become smaller too... so now that flower pot is growing bachelor buttons! haha

Haha, then we make bachelor buttons tea lor, but that tea are more for lady.

I have offered to try some Green and red perilla seeds, she told me her grow in a small pot in HDB corridor and reach 10cm without flower yet, so may be got chance to grow it abit taller, this time will put it at back garden where is cooler, but a lot of snail, may be they will have it 1st.

This post has been edited by Abby Lim: 09 May 2011 - 12:34 PM

#19 User is offline   andrew 

• PipPip

Posted 12 August 2013 - 01:29 PM

My experience with shiso in Singapore, I've been growing shiso for 10 years.

1. Only morning sun to 10:30 am, maximum. Light will retain bright purple-red colour, also keeps the green plants fresh minty green.
2. Cannot take Singapore's afternoon and evening sun, NEVER. Plants will flower, leaves turn bitter, stop growing, die. "Bolt".
3. Water everyday morning to keep it very moist and cool, unless it rains. Roots won't rot in our dampness (unlike European herbs), but don't water in afternoon (fungus). If you don't water, it will flower and die.
4. As soon as you see a flower bud, pull out the whole plant and eat. Peak of nutrition and flavour. No point trying to pluck off flowers. It wants to reproduce and die, VERY stubborn.

I recommend you grow. Too expensive in Singapore supermarkets. Like eating gold.

#20 User is offline   andrew 

• PipPip

Posted 14 August 2013 - 04:42 PM

If you don't have an east facing site, you can grow it anywhere, in the cloudy MONSOON season from early November to Chinese New Year.
Ideally, perilla loves cool, bright summers.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users