GCS Forum: How to grow from seeds - GCS Forum

Page 1 of 1

How to grow from seeds

#1 User is offline   Kaidohishida 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 19 December 2010 - 11:16 AM

I bought a bunch of seeds to plant. Of the 6 types, 2 refuses to sprout (oregano and something else).

Of those that sprout, tomato, chinese parsley, lavender, something i don't remember. They grow to about 6-8cm tall and still only 1st set of leaves 2-3 weeks old already, did not grow 2nd set. When i sow the seeds, they're kept in a room without much natural sunlight, after they sprout, they're moved to a place with bright sunlight(compared to shui mei seeds, at the same place, they'll have grown their 2-3rd set of leaves by now).

Any better way to grow them? Previous attempt with the same seeds with tissue paper, all died after transplanted to soil, seed only left enough for last attempt.

#2 User is offline   rummi 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 19 December 2010 - 11:59 AM

All the fruit-veg and herbs you listed above need sunny condition (=more than shuimei). They are leggy probably because they are trying to reach out to the sun. So try shifting to more sun ;)/>

Oregano always take longer than the rest of my other seeds to sprout. Usually more than a week. Maybe give it more time.

#3 User is offline   laurasilv 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 23 December 2010 - 04:37 AM

Hi,
I have found out that for me, the best way to germinate, is in plastic transparent containers with led (the discardible type), at least 10 cm tall, I make some holes about 1 cm from the bottom and the best soil is 1/3 normal compost, 1/3 vermiculate or perlite and 1/3 thick river sand or little pebbles. All the 3, specially the sand and compost, I sterilize for 2 and 1/2 hours in the oven, so no herbs or bacteria contaminate the soil, wich is very loose and not water retainant.
I water enouph, not so much to damp off.
The seeds germinate well, they do not form fungus or algae as it is all sterilized, and they do not stop growth. I keep them there until they are big enough to open the top, and after some time, pot individually.
I pile all the containers one over the other, to save space, and put them in a window sill, with morning sunlight (here in Argentina, it is the most soft), it is not necesary to water for some time, or if necesarry from below, because it is like a wintergarden.
There are some seeds that cannot take well the repotting... but all, at least they have to have 4 or 5 leaves and do it carefully as to disturb the less possible.
Hope my experience is helpfull.
I have tried with trays, but they dry out too much, unless you cover with a bag, and the tiny stems may break, and also have to be extra carefull with cats, mine have ruined a lot of germinations!!!
Laura

This post has been edited by laurasilv: 23 December 2010 - 04:38 AM

#4 User is offline   Kaidohishida 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 23 December 2010 - 02:38 PM

I See, so its more on the seeds rather than the soil. Thanks.

#5 User is offline   Abby Lim 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:All plants, Bonsai & cooking

Posted 23 December 2010 - 08:38 PM

View PostKaidohishida, on 23 December 2010 - 02:38 PM, said:

I See, so its more on the seeds rather than the soil. Thanks.

PM me your address, I give you some seeds to practice, in Singapore, most of the seeds just sow on top (very fine seeds) or just stick them about .5-1com down, they can just sprout out from moist soil.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users