GCS Forum: Does anyone know how to get rid of chameleons? - GCS Forum

Page 1 of 1

Does anyone know how to get rid of chameleons?

#1 User is offline   judetan 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Hash house running, gardening, golfing, reading, movies, wine, cooking

Posted 19 October 2010 - 11:27 PM

My garden seems to be infested with a lot of chameleons these days as I have both a flower and veg garden. They just hang around and decimate the beneficial insect population (bees, butterflies and dragonflies), not to mention scaring my wife, maid and daughters who are ALL afarid of lizards! Have caught a few at night so far (when they are less active) and deposited them elsewhere but was wondering if there is another natural way to get them to vacate the premises, so to speak. Anyone with any experience in this? Any advice appreciated and many thanks in advance :)/>

#2 User is offline   digitalgate 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 20 October 2010 - 06:49 AM

Cat like chameleons that a hint but it is also cruel.

#3 User is offline   Mamat 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Plants, Cats, Fish

Posted 20 October 2010 - 07:34 AM

i think kill for food is fine...
i dun mind having a few chameleons in my garden.. but i already have my share of tree lizards... cute things.. got adults and babies alike...

#4 User is offline   Kingfisher 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 20 October 2010 - 09:27 AM

But it also help to eat pests like grasshoppers etc...

#5 User is offline   curiousgardener 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:growing edibles, sunflowers & other ornamental plants, photography, writing

Posted 20 October 2010 - 04:48 PM

I could loan you my dogs... :D/> But seriously, though, it's just the balance of nature - you provide their source of food and they'll come, just like the new pests coming for my new edible plants. You could try not to give them places to breed for a start. And a dog or a cat will probably fill the role of chameleon predator. Good luck!

#6 User is offline   vanilla 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 20 October 2010 - 04:52 PM

View Postjudetan, on 19 October 2010 - 11:27 PM, said:

My garden seems to be infested with a lot of chameleons these days as I have both a flower and veg garden. They just hang around and decimate the beneficial insect population (bees, butterflies and dragonflies), not to mention scaring my wife, maid and daughters who are ALL afarid of lizards! Have caught a few at night so far (when they are less active) and deposited them elsewhere but was wondering if there is another natural way to get them to vacate the premises, so to speak. Anyone with any experience in this? Any advice appreciated and many thanks in advance :)/>

I am also one of those terrified of lizards and I have lots of them with their droppings all over the place.. Now i am trying out this lizard repellent spray bought from the supermarket. Dunno how effective it is.

#7 User is offline   judetan 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Hash house running, gardening, golfing, reading, movies, wine, cooking

Posted 20 October 2010 - 05:20 PM

View Postcuriousgardener, on 20 October 2010 - 04:48 PM, said:

I could loan you my dogs... :D/> But seriously, though, it's just the balance of nature - you provide their source of food and they'll come, just like the new pests coming for my new edible plants. You could try not to give them places to breed for a start. And a dog or a cat will probably fill the role of chameleon predator. Good luck!

My dog is blind - sniff here sniff there but don't see the chameleons :)/> Anyway being a miniature daschund she's also way too short to be effective :)/>

Ya never thought of the fact that they also serve to kill off pest insects like grasshoppers - maybe I will have them around after all - they are quite territorial, so suspect that there will be am "optimal" population over time :)/>

#8 User is offline   curiousgardener 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:growing edibles, sunflowers & other ornamental plants, photography, writing

Posted 20 October 2010 - 08:27 PM

View Postjudetan, on 20 October 2010 - 05:20 PM, said:

My dog is blind - sniff here sniff there but don't see the chameleons :)/> Anyway being a miniature daschund she's also way too short to be effective :)/>

Ya never thought of the fact that they also serve to kill off pest insects like grasshoppers - maybe I will have them around after all - they are quite territorial, so suspect that there will be am "optimal" population over time :)/>

You're right about the territorialism. I also forgot about the fact that they can be cannibalistic... :o/> Don't worry, nature will balance things out.

#9 User is offline   fluffymutt 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Registered Merchant

Posted 23 November 2010 - 02:06 PM

you can pass them to me! I remember AK77 caught a chameleon and it ate mealies! i would love to have a predator for grasshoppers, mealies, caterpillars, butterflies (nice to look at but they produce caterpillars), cockroaches etc.

#10 User is offline   miico 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 26 February 2011 - 08:10 PM

If it eats mites n mealies, i also want one . . Lol

#11 User is offline   Herb Lover 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 26 February 2011 - 09:41 PM

We have wild chameleons in Singapore? Wild geckos I've seen a lot of....didn't know these colour changing critters are also in our midst! :)/>

#12 User is offline   curiousgardener 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 26 March 2011 - 01:03 PM

View PostHerb Lover, on 26 February 2011 - 09:41 PM, said:

We have wild chameleons in Singapore? Wild geckos I've seen a lot of....didn't know these colour changing critters are also in our midst! :)/>

I think we're all referring to the oriental garden lizard. They can change their colour a little, but not like the "real" chameleons. We usually notice them when they change colour to red, from the head to the shoulders - these are the males either warning us away or trying to attract a female...

And I've just discovered a new way to get rid of these lizards - get a kingfisher to hang around :P/>

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users