GCS Forum: What to do with Sugar Cane ? - GCS Forum

Page 1 of 1

What to do with Sugar Cane ?

#1 User is offline   Green Baron 

• Advance Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 14 October 2010 - 08:39 AM

I just harvested 3 sugar canes and not sure what to do with it. In the past I cut them into small pieces for chewing but 3 canes are too much for my teeth. I tried asking our local wet market sugar cane stall to juice them and and pay for it but they declined :(/>

Anyone has any suggestion on what i can do with them ? Any recipe that uses sugar cane ?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v257/greenbaron/Plants/FruitPlant/20101013_DS3331.jpg

#2 User is offline   Abby Lim 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:All plants, Bonsai & cooking

Posted 14 October 2010 - 09:03 AM

View PostGreen Baron, on 14 October 2010 - 08:39 AM, said:

I just harvested 3 sugar canes and not sure what to do with it. In the past I cut them into small pieces for chewing but 3 canes are too much for my teeth. I tried asking our local wet market sugar cane stall to juice them and and pay for it but they declined http://www.greenculturesg.com/forum/public/style_emoticons/default/sad.gif

Anyone has any suggestion on what i can do with them ? Any recipe that uses sugar cane ?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v257/greenbaron/Plants/FruitPlant/20101013_DS3331.jpg

Just chew those lower portion and you can cut those end piece and slice into half of quarter, boil with water cestnut to become liang-tea also can, use it to boil with your porkrib soup also can, the taiwan people even use it to line on the wok to do smake duck / chick.

We usually cut them up into small piece and store in fridge and can chew it up for the next few days after dinner, ask your girls to help you, sure not too much!

#3 User is offline   tin 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 14 October 2010 - 09:23 AM

View PostAbby Lim, on 14 October 2010 - 09:03 AM, said:

We usually cut them up into small piece and store in fridge and can chew it up for the next few days after dinner, ask your girls to help you, sure not too much!

yes, yes, that's what we used to do too. Taste better when chilled. 3 canes will finish in no time.

#4 User is offline   successnowhere 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 14 October 2010 - 09:28 AM

Gan, :hysterical:/> Bring it over on 13th Nov Gathering and we perform Sugar-Cane Dance :hysterical:/>

#5 User is offline   dinosaurr 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 14 October 2010 - 10:56 AM

i remember eating this dish in vietnam - it consists of minced meat (pork i think) wrapped around a sugar cane stick (the stick was about 1.5 cmx1.5 cmx 8 cm) and it was GRILLED. the sweetness of the sugarcane went into the grilled meat- YUMZ!

#6 User is offline   CCWong 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 14 October 2010 - 01:57 PM

View Postsuccessnowhere, on 14 October 2010 - 09:28 AM, said:

Gan, :hysterical:/> Bring it over on 13th Nov Gathering and we perform Sugar-Cane Dance :hysterical:/>

Pole dancing???

#7 User is offline   elwingo 

• Advance Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 15 October 2010 - 05:59 AM

View Postdinosaurr, on 14 October 2010 - 10:56 AM, said:

i remember eating this dish in vietnam - it consists of minced meat (pork i think) wrapped around a sugar cane stick (the stick was about 1.5 cmx1.5 cmx 8 cm) and it was GRILLED. the sweetness of the sugarcane went into the grilled meat- YUMZ!

sounds yummy! another recipe is to use minced prawns and wrap them around these sugar cane sticks. instead of grilling, u can deep fry. the sugarcane will also taste nicer after deep frying. i had this in a viet restaurant in sg some years ago.

u can also do liangtae like what abby said. my mum also adds red dates and the orange coloured seed like stuff (kougei?)together with chestnuts to the sugar cane.

or..u can stick some lettuce and a fat hongpao at the end of the sugarcane and get some lion dance people to choyching..haha. but this is not a recipe and it's not chinese new year..yet..

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users