Page 1 of 1

Help- how to revive my dead fern?

#1 User is offline   dinosaurr 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 10 October 2010 - 11:46 PM

Hi,

please do not laugh... i'm super depressed that i've managed to kill my Adiantum Caudatum.
Previously it was like this
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4104/5068210562_4604f0cec4.jpg
Now it is like this.
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4108/5068210570_2b0bbe9900.jpg

I stopped watering all my orchids to give them a dry out as some were battling a bacterial infection. Now my orchids are fine but my fern died cos i didn't water it :(/> :(/> :(/>

Will it revive? I've since drenched the pot. I really like this fella and he's gone now :(/>
do i hv any hope at all?

#2 User is offline   islaverde 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:tree ferns, orchids, mosses, fragrant plants, anthuriums, alocasias, xanthosomas, monsteras, philodendrons, tropical america flora, heliconias, gingers, calatheas, creepers, forest ecology

Posted 11 October 2010 - 08:25 AM

hmm, looks like its a goner. http://www.greenculturesg.com/forum/public/style_emoticons/default/huh.gif
well, i saw a big frond variety of maiden hair fern at AMK nursery. it is the traditional fern we use to have in gardens 20-30 years ago. go check it out.

#3 User is offline   paphioboy 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:All Orchidaceae, CPs (especially nepenthes), Asclepiads and all other plants...

Posted 11 October 2010 - 10:13 AM

Hope you're not into black magic as you can't revive things that are already DEAD :P/> From the looks of it, it doesn't seem quite dead yet. Cut off all the leaves and check the rhizome. If it is not mushy and roots are not rotten, it will regrow. Ferns are much hardier than we give them credit for. Did you apply fertiliser recently? Maybe you applied too strong a dose. I find maidenhair ferns actually very easy to grow... They also like light, but indirect.

#4 User is offline   tlh72 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Orchids, herbs, heliconia, whatever will survive in the garden with low maintenance and minimal pests

Posted 11 October 2010 - 01:27 PM

Hi dinosaurr,
There may be hope yet. Similar thing happened to me when I went on unexpected medical leave for over a week and forgot to get someone to water my fern in the office cubicle. When I came back to work, it looked like your second picture. After a good drenching, some of the leaves actually uncurled, though some were goners. I cut off the fronds that didn't have any leaflets open up. The plant actually soldiered on for several months, putting out new fronds. But gradually got weaker and weaker. In retrospect, I should've brought it home for sunshine and tlc. Also didn't know how to go about rescuing plants. Still don't so still learning. I"m sure yours will do better.

Good luck!

LH

This post has been edited by tlh72: 11 October 2010 - 01:29 PM

#5 User is offline   dinosaurr 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 12 October 2010 - 12:13 AM

View Posttlh72, on 11 October 2010 - 01:27 PM, said:

Hi dinosaurr,
There may be hope yet. Similar thing happened to me when I went on unexpected medical leave for over a week and forgot to get someone to water my fern in the office cubicle. When I came back to work, it looked like your second picture. After a good drenching, some of the leaves actually uncurled, though some were goners. I cut off the fronds that didn't have any leaflets open up. The plant actually soldiered on for several months, putting out new fronds. But gradually got weaker and weaker. In retrospect, I should've brought it home for sunshine and tlc. Also didn't know how to go about rescuing plants. Still don't so still learning. I"m sure yours will do better.

Good luck!

LH

Hey Paphioboy and LH
I counted around 15 "non dried" leaves! maybe there is HOPE :blush:/> I will shower extra TLC now! its 'easy' to grow once you have the right conditions.... HAIZ.... I have another big pot of adiantum (the 'normal type') which i fertilised a good 6 mths ago (and caused fert burn)- its still 'recovering' :bangin:/>

Heh islaverde - are you trying to tempt me with the big one now that the small one is down? the big ones are lovely- my friend has it- but i realise that you need to do up the whole garden to provide the correct humidity- otherwise it will FRY!

#6 User is offline   islaverde 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:tree ferns, orchids, mosses, fragrant plants, anthuriums, alocasias, xanthosomas, monsteras, philodendrons, tropical america flora, heliconias, gingers, calatheas, creepers, forest ecology

Posted 12 October 2010 - 08:22 AM

View Postdinosaurr, on 12 October 2010 - 12:13 AM, said:

Heh islaverde - are you trying to tempt me with the big one now that the small one is down? the big ones are lovely- my friend has it- but i realise that you need to do up the whole garden to provide the correct humidity- otherwise it will FRY!

I'm not trying to tempt you, but I personally like a garden that is sufficiently shaded, has high humidity as well as air circulation. And a big pot of large-fronds adiantum with its delicate fronds flittering slightly. so lovely, reminded me of days gone by. :)/> It is time to do up your garden to increase the humidity and provide for a shaded place for ferns.

pss: I know of a source that sells big-frond types that produces reddish-pink new fronds!

#7 User is offline   pinkfrizz 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 25 October 2010 - 02:08 PM

Hey dinosaurr, looks like your plant is dried out! You can wet the soil and bag the entire pot in clear plastic bag to give it humidity :)/> (just my newbie suggestion hor, no promises)

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users