GCS Forum: How to harvest gerbera seeds - GCS Forum

Page 1 of 1

How to harvest gerbera seeds

#1 User is offline   dabbid 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Fragrant flowers or vines, plants that bloom non-stop, rapid growers.

Posted 21 September 2010 - 12:37 AM

Dear all,
I'm interested in harvesting seeds from my gerbera plants. Was wondering if anyone can help clarify the following questions.
Your help is deeply appreciated.

1. After pollinating the flower, do we wait for it to totally wilt (on the plant) before cutting off and harvesting?
2. How wilted should the flower be before the seeds have a chance to form properly?
3. Does seed formation stop once flower is cut from plant?
4. Has anyone successfully harvested seeds from cut gerberas from commercial wreaths? How? Those tend to be of rarer colors and stock (purple, deep pink, etc which I have not seen in nurseries).
5. Do you have any unique colored gerberas? How were they grown - from seed or bought plant from nursery? Which nursery?

Thanks in advance.
David.

#2 User is offline   Adnan 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:I grow and sell Adeniums,Daylilies,Gerberas,Akebia Longracemosa,Ferraria Crispa,Alliums,and anything that's rare.

Posted 13 August 2011 - 01:24 PM

1. After pollinating the flower, do we wait for it to totally wilt (on the plant) before cutting off and harvesting?
2. How wilted should the flower be before the seeds have a chance to form properly?
3. Does seed formation stop once flower is cut from plant?
4. Has anyone successfully harvested seeds from cut gerberas from commercial wreaths? How? Those tend to be of rarer colors and stock (purple, deep pink, etc which I have not seen in nurseries).
5. Do you have any unique colored gerberas? How were they grown - from seed or bought plant from nursery? Which nursery?

David,

Ans:-

1:-Yes,let the flower dry completely.

2.Completely Dry

3.Not Really.If the flower is pollinated for 3-4 days, you can use it in a vase as cut flower.You'll still get seeds.

4.I have thousands of Gerberas and they are not FLORIST GERBERAS.They have smaller sticks but huge flowers.They multiply 5times faster than Florist Gerberas.They are 5 times heat tolerant than florist Gerbera.I've harvested thousands of seeds during the last year.Traded them away to USA,Australia,Thailand etc

5.I have many unique ones with flower size between 5-6inch.Will share pix soon.It's too wet here right now.

#3 User is offline   dabbid 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Fragrant flowers or vines, plants that bloom non-stop, rapid growers.

Posted 13 August 2011 - 05:59 PM

View PostAdnan, on 13 August 2011 - 01:24 PM, said:

David,

Ans:-

1:-Yes,let the flower dry completely.

2.Completely Dry

3.Not Really.If the flower is pollinated for 3-4 days, you can use it in a vase as cut flower.You'll still get seeds.

4.I have thousands of Gerberas and they are not FLORIST GERBERAS.They have smaller sticks but huge flowers.They multiply 5times faster than Florist Gerberas.They are 5 times heat tolerant than florist Gerbera.I've harvested thousands of seeds during the last year.Traded them away to USA,Australia,Thailand etc

5.I have many unique ones with flower size between 5-6inch.Will share pix soon.It's too wet here right now.

Thanks Adnan for yr tips.
Though I'm focusing more on other plants for now, i'm still keen to learn about gerberas.
Will wait for the pix. =)

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users