Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Common Myna vs the Javan Myna A fight for survival

#1 User is offline   Il Pirata 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Low Maintenance plants which do well in a very limited space on a HDB corridor that receives seasonal sunlight

Posted 10 September 2010 - 10:35 AM

Most people are not aware that there are 2 species of mynas wandering around the HDB estates, as both look similar and are almost black in their plumage.

Well there are 2 competing species, and both were introduced sometime in the past.
Both species expanded freely for sometime, but recently the Common Myna population has severely reduced as it is continually outcompeted by its cousin the Javan Myna. Nowadays I had to look hard to find a Common Myna. Its just not so common anymore. Outside one coffee shop in Kranji on the way to Sungei Buloh, I saw one Common Myna surrounded by 6 Javan Myna in the fight for leftovers!

The Common Myna, brownish-black, apparently arrived in Malaysia from Burma in around 1919, and reached Singapore by 1935.
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/__Dq5_ABpFrs/SZA2WrVOa5I/AAAAAAAAGNQ/uSsDIiMHIyg/s400/Common+Myna_Sg+Burung_040209_IMG_6631.jpg

The White-Vented or Javan Myna. Greyish-black. Introduced sometime around 1925 by the caged-bird industry from Java.
http://www.photomalaysia.com/photography/data/504/Javan_1_.jpg

This post has been edited by Il Pirata: 10 September 2010 - 10:37 AM

#2 User is offline   islaverde 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:tree ferns, orchids, mosses, fragrant plants, anthuriums, alocasias, xanthosomas, monsteras, philodendrons, tropical america flora, heliconias, gingers, calatheas, creepers, forest ecology

Posted 10 September 2010 - 11:03 AM

i wonder if these 2 species actually do interbreed...

also, the common house crow is now better controlled.

#3 User is offline   Betta Fantasy 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 10 September 2010 - 01:16 PM

30 years ago, before I could swim, I had several pet mynahs raised from chicks. Had 3 common n 1 javan mynahs. Man those days common mynahs rule, and I thought my precious little black javan mynah was a gem. these days, the situation had reversed. Actually they eat pratically the same thing and had same requirements. I think there are other factors causing the advantage to the Javan mynah.

#4 User is offline   mm 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 10 September 2010 - 02:59 PM

This is informative. I've got lots of mynahs around my place, but now I know they're all Javan. Come to think of it, can't remember ever seeing the Common. Guess that's a misnomer now ... :)/>

#5 User is offline   Abby Lim 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:All plants, Bonsai & cooking

Posted 10 September 2010 - 04:52 PM

View Postmm, on 10 September 2010 - 02:59 PM, said:

This is informative. I've got lots of mynahs around my place, but now I know they're all Javan. Come to think of it, can't remember ever seeing the Common. Guess that's a misnomer now ... http://www.greenculturesg.com/forum/public/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif

Just wonder What I kept in my childhood time were belong to which one, are they a bit difference in size? I think the more blacky one from M'sia are bigger in size, my dad call them " Toa-ka-leng", they are clever, they even learn how to talk, they can make the sound alike what they always heard.

Now I have a pair in my office gardn, who are my cat's best friends, they even chit-chat with each others, they take their both in my cat's drinking bowl, my cat keep some cat food for them. My gardener told me when we are not around on Sat morning, the birds and the cat will eat ast the same time from the same bowl when he serve the food as the birds also his friend, they follow him everyway when he on the job to pick up worm and insect behind him.

#6 User is offline   Il Pirata 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Low Maintenance plants which do well in a very limited space on a HDB corridor that receives seasonal sunlight

Posted 10 September 2010 - 05:02 PM

View PostAbby Lim, on 10 September 2010 - 04:52 PM, said:

Just wonder What I kept in my childhood time were belong to which one, are they a bit difference in size? I think the more blacky one from M'sia are bigger in size, my dad call them " Toa-ka-leng", they are clever, they even learn how to talk, they can make the sound alike what they always heard.

Now I have a pair in my office gardn, who are my cat's best friends, they even chit-chat with each others, they take their both in my cat's drinking bowl, my cat keep some cat food for them. My gardener told me when we are not around on Sat morning, the birds and the cat will eat ast the same time from the same bowl when he serve the food as the birds also his friend, they follow him everyway when he on the job to pick up worm and insect behind him.

Hi Abby, your's could be this. Its called the Hill Myna and can talk like a parrot.
Its also larger than the other 2 above. Its slightly smaller than a crow.
Cannot be found around HDB estates (except bird shops, hehe), maybe in the nature reserve or fruit orchards.

http://orientalbirdimages.org/images/data/hill_myna_0933_hs.jpg

#7 User is offline   dinosaurr 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 10 September 2010 - 10:00 PM

hmm. i didn't know there were 2 types of myna. Looking at the pix i think im more familiar with the javan myna.

#8 User is offline   Neverend 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 10 September 2010 - 11:00 PM

I think it might be because the Javan Myna is more aggressive than the Common Myna. I've seen Javan Mynas attacking other Mynas, and even squirrels on a few occasions, and it irks me sometimes, enough to make me chase them away.

#9 User is offline   Il Pirata 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 12 September 2010 - 10:17 AM

View PostNeverend, on 10 September 2010 - 11:00 PM, said:

I think it might be because the Javan Myna is more aggressive than the Common Myna. I've seen Javan Mynas attacking other Mynas, and even squirrels on a few occasions, and it irks me sometimes, enough to make me chase them away.

I suspect so too, as the book I read mentioned that the Javan Myna has advanced northwards in West Malaysia and attained dominance as far as KL and beyond now. The Common Myna is clearly in retreat.

Nonetheless the Common Myna is currently a major pest in Australia where it was introduced a few decades ago. So one mountain is higher than another? Hopefully the Javan Myna would not make it to Australia also. Would their nightmare be worse?

#10 User is offline   adrianlau 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Potted trees from seeds, Aquarium fish

Posted 12 September 2010 - 05:44 PM

The Greater Hill Mynahs are the best talking bird in the world. I prefer seeing the Common Mynah because it has the yellow patches, and if you look carefully it has a brown body as opposed to the Javan Mynah which is all black and white.

I hope the endangered Rothschild's Mynah or Bali Mynah can be introduced:

http://blog.tropicalsky.ie/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/balistarling.jpg

#11 User is offline   islaverde 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:tree ferns, orchids, mosses, fragrant plants, anthuriums, alocasias, xanthosomas, monsteras, philodendrons, tropical america flora, heliconias, gingers, calatheas, creepers, forest ecology

Posted 12 September 2010 - 08:39 PM

Bali Mynah is a hill species right? would melt in our weather?

#12 User is offline   Il Pirata 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 12 September 2010 - 10:58 PM

View Postislaverde, on 12 September 2010 - 08:39 PM, said:

Bali Mynah is a hill species right? would melt in our weather?

Apparently the Bird Park has successfully hatched 22 Bali Mynas since breeding program started in 1989. Some hope?

#13 User is offline   Mamat 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Plants, Cats, Fish

Posted 13 September 2010 - 08:03 AM

never seen tat white bird

#14 User is offline   Il Pirata 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 13 September 2010 - 09:42 AM

View PostMamat, on 13 September 2010 - 08:03 AM, said:

never seen tat white bird

Yes, you need to strike toto to see one outside birdpark. There are only 16 left in the wild. They are found only on the island of Bali. Rarer than pandas!

#15 User is offline   elwingo 

• Advance Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 13 September 2010 - 10:41 AM

View Postadrianlau, on 12 September 2010 - 05:44 PM, said:

http://blog.tropicalsky.ie/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/balistarling.jpg

what a beautiful bird!! tks for sharing with us

#16 User is offline   spheredome 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 16 September 2010 - 09:03 AM

As I recall, in 1980s Common Myna were much bigger than Javan Myna and such that the Javan ones would eat their fill later. And their were darker brown and light brown variance. But it seemed that the Javan myna have grown bigger and more daring. They drink condensed water dripping of aircon from building to vehicles.

One question, why are some myna bald headed?

IMO, the hill Myna while intelligent are not smart, their brightly color already stamp as non urban compatible.

#17 User is offline   Il Pirata 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 17 September 2010 - 01:39 PM

View Postspheredome, on 16 September 2010 - 09:03 AM, said:

As I recall, in 1980s Common Myna were much bigger than Javan Myna and such that the Javan ones would eat their fill later. And their were darker brown and light brown variance. But it seemed that the Javan myna have grown bigger and more daring. They drink condensed water dripping of aircon from building to vehicles.

One question, why are some myna bald headed?

IMO, the hill Myna while intelligent are not smart, their brightly color already stamp as non urban compatible.

I understand that mynas will go bald when molting.

#18 User is offline   elwingo 

• Advance Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 17 September 2010 - 02:12 PM

View PostIl Pirata, on 17 September 2010 - 01:39 PM, said:

ah it's not because they were fighting with each other? or is this one of those tales we hear when we are young and somehow got stuck in our minds?

#19 User is offline   spheredome 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 17 September 2010 - 09:20 PM

Could it be they eat too much salt from scraps and that why feather starts to drop. I know dogs got this problem.

View PostIl Pirata, on 17 September 2010 - 01:39 PM, said:

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users