Page 1 of 1

Pecteilis sagarikii going into dormancy

#1 User is offline   8qpz 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 20 August 2010 - 05:03 PM

Hi all,

Bought this pot of Pecteilis sagarikii (aka duck orchid) from SGF. After the flowers wilt, I cut of the flower spikes and repotted the plants.

There were 5 plants growing together so I separated them as they seemed quite packed together.

I would like to know approximately how long the plant would take to go into dormancy and how to care for them during dormancy.

Here are the pics of the plants now :

The 2 plants which flowered
http://i914.photobucket.com/albums/ac342/8qpz/P1020544.jpg

2 other plants which did not flower (Potted together as they were smaller)
http://i914.photobucket.com/albums/ac342/8qpz/P1020538.jpg

This plant was growing together with the others but it looks different and so I think it might be a different plant. (Possible to ID?)
http://i914.photobucket.com/albums/ac342/8qpz/P1020542.jpg

Pic of the flower
http://i914.photobucket.com/albums/ac342/8qpz/P1020393.jpg

Thanks! All help is appriciated! :lol:/> :lol:/>

#2 User is offline   paphioboy 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:All Orchidaceae, CPs (especially nepenthes), Asclepiads and all other plants...

Posted 20 August 2010 - 06:02 PM

Very nice buy... 5 plants in one pot is an absolute steal..! :lol:/> I have only pecteilis susannae growing for me so far. I do not own any other habenarias. After dormancy, I keep on watering as usual until the stem and leaves start to die off naturally. Then I keep the pot totally dry and shaded from the rain (a bit of water about once a week/2 weeks) until new shoot starts to form from the tuber. The dormancy period may take up to 3-4 months. I start watering when new roots have started growing from the base of the shoot (you can see them emerging radially from the crown. I think your last plant may be a Pecteilis susannae or rhodocheila which somehow got mixed in... Good luck.. :)/>

#3 User is offline   insigne 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Heat Tolerant Cymbidiums

Posted 20 August 2010 - 07:13 PM

In Bangkok, it is the blooming peak of sagarikii right now. Normally, the plant will get into dormancy a couple of months after the monsoon season ends.

This post has been edited by insigne: 20 August 2010 - 07:13 PM

#4 User is offline   8qpz 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 20 August 2010 - 08:04 PM

Thanks for the replies! :lol:/>

I got another question, can these plants and also other habenarias produce new shoots with new tubers? Means in the end I can divide them up and get more plants?

#5 User is offline   paphioboy 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:All Orchidaceae, CPs (especially nepenthes), Asclepiads and all other plants...

Posted 20 August 2010 - 10:22 PM

View Post8qpz, on 20 August 2010 - 08:04 PM, said:

Thanks for the replies! :lol:/>

I got another question, can these plants and also other habenarias produce new shoots with new tubers? Means in the end I can divide them up and get more plants?

Hi.. They'll produce new tubers by their own accord.. I started with one susannae tuber, become 2 and now 3.. But one rotted off. You can't chop the tuber into 2 and expect to get 2 plants like sweet potatoes..

#6 User is offline   8qpz 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 20 August 2010 - 10:30 PM

Ahh, what I mean is if the plant have 2 tubers can I split them up and have 2 plants? Not cutting the tuber into half...that 1 I learn from mistake lol....few years back I thought is like potatoes so I cut a tuber into half and both died :hysterical:/> :hitmyself:/>

#7 User is offline   paphioboy 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 22 August 2010 - 09:06 AM

View Post8qpz, on 20 August 2010 - 10:30 PM, said:

Ahh, what I mean is if the plant have 2 tubers can I split them up and have 2 plants? Not cutting the tuber into half...that 1 I learn from mistake lol....few years back I thought is like potatoes so I cut a tuber into half and both died :hysterical:/> :hitmyself:/>

Yes, you can split them. But better to let them divide themselves naturally. Some of the smaller tubers may not grow as well if separated...

#8 User is offline   wellywinardy 

• PipPip

Posted 03 November 2012 - 08:29 AM

hello,
what is the media for pecteilis sagarikii?
can i use standard media potting?
thanks

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users