GCS Forum: Adenium - Spider Mites - GCS Forum

Jump to content

Page 1 of 1

Adenium - Spider Mites

#1 User is offline   rauhii 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 244
  • Joined: 06-July 10
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Central, Singapore
  • Interests:Succulents (especially Haworthias), Tillandsias, Gesneriads

Posted 25 July 2010 - 01:15 AM

I have a few pots of adenium, but recently I noticed the leaves becoming yellow and spotted, and on closer examination found some 'cobweb' like threads near the stalk of the leaves and flowers. I think the plants have a spider mite infestation! Should I use a commercial insecticide like malathion? Appreciate any advice!
0

#2 User is offline   Desert Rose King 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 47
  • Joined: 21-July 10
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Selangor
  • Interests:Photography, Watching Movies, Play Basketball & Bowling + Badminton

Posted 26 July 2010 - 11:42 AM

Hi Rauhii

Yes, you can use malathion for these spiders. Use minimal (a few drops into your spray). There is two types of spiders, normal spiders and red spiders (very tiny ones that you can only view it very closely with your naked eye). Red spiders mites use miticide. Check your local nursery for the solution.
0

#3 User is offline   rauhii 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 244
  • Joined: 06-July 10
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Central, Singapore
  • Interests:Succulents (especially Haworthias), Tillandsias, Gesneriads

Posted 26 July 2010 - 01:52 PM

Thanks William. Will go look for miticide. My double petal adenium flowers are destroyed by them and the mix of malathion I sprayed. Will have to wait for them to flower again. On the bright side, my white adenium is flowering.
0

#4 User is offline   Desert Rose King 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 47
  • Joined: 21-July 10
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Selangor
  • Interests:Photography, Watching Movies, Play Basketball & Bowling + Badminton

Posted 26 July 2010 - 01:57 PM

Hi Rauhii,

Very good, keep it up! Happy planting adeniums!
0

#5 User is offline   Jeffrey 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 769
  • Joined: 30-January 09
  • Gender:Male

Posted 26 July 2010 - 09:48 PM

View Postrauhii, on 25 July 2010 - 01:15 AM, said:

I have a few pots of adenium, but recently I noticed the leaves becoming yellow and spotted, and on closer examination found some 'cobweb' like threads near the stalk of the leaves and flowers. I think the plants have a spider mite infestation! Should I use a commercial insecticide like malathion? Appreciate any advice!


I do have the same problem. but take note that spiders and spider mites both have webs but requires different treatment.

What i did for mine was to look for the actual spiders when i see webs.. and once i find them, i leave the plants as it is.. however is there are signs of spider mites, the treatment is rather diff. Spider mites also damage the leaves and it's quite obvious. Miticides are useful for treating the problem although your plant may suffer a little due to the strength of the miticides. Some people advocate weekly spraying of white oil do prevent spider mites.

Personally, i try not to use miticide due to the toxicity of the chemical.I have used white oil on a regularly basis. I still see spider webs but i am quite convinced that it's actual spiders rather than mites.
0

#6 User is offline   rauhii 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 244
  • Joined: 06-July 10
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Central, Singapore
  • Interests:Succulents (especially Haworthias), Tillandsias, Gesneriads

Posted 27 July 2010 - 10:42 PM

Mine is definitely spider mites as the leaves turn yellow and shows minute brown spots. May I know where to get the white oil you mentioned, and how to apply it? Paint it on?
0

#7 User is offline   Jeffrey 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 769
  • Joined: 30-January 09
  • Gender:Male

Posted 27 July 2010 - 11:09 PM

View Postrauhii, on 27 July 2010 - 10:42 PM, said:

Mine is definitely spider mites as the leaves turn yellow and shows minute brown spots. May I know where to get the white oil you mentioned, and how to apply it? Paint it on?



I get the white oil from World Farm. About $40 for a huge bottle that will last you a life time. I dose 1.5ml to 2ml per litre of water and then spray on the whole plant top and bottom.
0

#8 User is offline   Desert Rose King 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 47
  • Joined: 21-July 10
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Selangor
  • Interests:Photography, Watching Movies, Play Basketball & Bowling + Badminton

Posted 28 July 2010 - 10:16 AM

Hey Jeffrey,

That's a good one... I haven't tried one of these white oil before. If it can keep away the red spider mites, why not?
0

#9 User is offline   ally2000 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 279
  • Joined: 15-February 08

Posted 15 June 2011 - 10:56 PM

View PostJeffrey, on 27 July 2010 - 11:09 PM, said:

I get the white oil from World Farm. About $40 for a huge bottle that will last you a life time. I dose 1.5ml to 2ml per litre of water and then spray on the whole plant top and bottom.



The white oil might be neem oil. caution using this oil in hot weather as it will burn the plant.


0

#10 User is offline   ally2000 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 279
  • Joined: 15-February 08

Posted 15 June 2011 - 11:06 PM

View PostJeffrey, on 26 July 2010 - 09:48 PM, said:

I do have the same problem. but take note that spiders and spider mites both have webs but requires different treatment.

What i did for mine was to look for the actual spiders when i see webs.. and once i find them, i leave the plants as it is.. however is there are signs of spider mites, the treatment is rather diff. Spider mites also damage the leaves and it's quite obvious. Miticides are useful for treating the problem although your plant may suffer a little due to the strength of the miticides. Some people advocate weekly spraying of white oil do prevent spider mites.

Personally, i try not to use miticide due to the toxicity of the chemical.I have used white oil on a regularly basis. I still see spider webs but i am quite convinced that it's actual spiders rather than mites.




i found malathion to be effective against red mites , but the smell is unbearable and toxic. what I did is to put the plant in a big enough plastic bag to cover the whole plant. using a tube to spray the chemical into the bag and prevent as much odor to escape. i tie the top end to seal in the vapor. after 24 hours i unseal the bag.
caution: be sure to wear rubber gloves and mask in handling this chemical and be mindful that the odor will not spread as the neighbors will surely complain against you.


0

#11 User is offline   digitalgate 

  • Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators
  • Posts: 4865
  • Joined: 24-October 07
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Yaba

Posted 16 June 2011 - 01:19 PM

View Postally2000, on 15 June 2011 - 10:56 PM, said:

The white oil might be neem oil. caution using this oil in hot weather as it will burn the plant.


View Postally2000, on 15 June 2011 - 11:06 PM, said:

i found malathion to be effective against red mites , but the smell is unbearable and toxic. what I did is to put the plant in a big enough plastic bag to cover the whole plant. using a tube to spray the chemical into the bag and prevent as much odor to escape. i tie the top end to seal in the vapor. after 24 hours i unseal the bag.
caution: be sure to wear rubber gloves and mask in handling this chemical and be mindful that the odor will not spread as the neighbors will surely complain against you.


white oil is not neem oil. White oil is petroleum oil sold by nursery contradictory to popular belief. Whether it will burn plant , depend how one apply and when one apply.

Melathion is ineffective against red spider mites. White oil is effective. Melathion can also burn plant if one use strong concentration and on a hot day.
0

#12 User is offline   Bookman 

  • Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1
  • Joined: 10-December 11

Posted 10 December 2011 - 03:35 PM

View Postdigitalgate, on 16 June 2011 - 01:19 PM, said:

white oil is not neem oil. White oil is petroleum oil sold by nursery contradictory to popular belief. Whether it will burn plant , depend how one apply and when one apply.

Melathion is ineffective against red spider mites. White oil is effective. Melathion can also burn plant if one use strong concentration and on a hot day.


I think I have similar infestation but on my Guava and Papaya plants (especially the very young papaya plant leaves).

I think I have found a novel way of dealing with them effectively and cheaply. Just get an ordinary plastic clothes spray, place some water in it and add maybe say 10 drops of ordinary dishwashing detergent, those yellow kind. I use the Kim Poh brand that comes in a 5ltr or 4ltr yellow plastic container at say NTUC.

Shake your sprayer and then happy hunting/spraying.

You may have to vary the amount of detergent- a little will do.

The theory behind this method is that the detergent breaks the surface tension of water so that the Spider mite suffocates.

I think it is spider mites because when I spray, (say in a stream) the white web sometimes goes off revealing a reddish orange looking "insect" that is shaped like a ladybird (although without the distinctive black spots).

Maybe someone else can try this method and let me know if you experience success.

This same bottle spray works wonderfully if you are bothered by mosquitoes while gardening or mosquitoes within your premises (of course don't put too much washing detergent or it may make your floor slippery - just enough to break the surface tension of water) and it is toxin free.

Because you can adjust the spray, I can even reach leaves that are affected without using a ladder or chair.

The other thing is that the leaves or the plant is not affected adversely and its also non toxic.
0

#13 User is offline   digitalgate 

  • Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators
  • Posts: 4865
  • Joined: 24-October 07
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Yaba

Posted 10 December 2011 - 10:13 PM

View PostBookman, on 10 December 2011 - 03:35 PM, said:



I think it is spider mites because when I spray, (say in a stream) the white web sometimes goes off revealing a reddish orange looking "insect" that is shaped like a ladybird (although without the distinctive black spots).



what the size of the insect you refer to? mite in general is around 1mm in size.
I use mama lemon dish washing liquid to get rid of aphids which is 1.5mm to 2mm in size accompany with lots of ants milking the aphids. My friend use mama lemon to cause leave drop and kill weeds.
0

#14 User is offline   Mamat 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 3033
  • Joined: 30-December 04
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:West Singapore
  • Interests:Plants, Cats, Fish

Posted 16 December 2011 - 08:39 AM

tats mealy bugs
0

#15 User is offline   shirleycox 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 184
  • Joined: 03-February 12
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Canada
  • Interests:Gardening, Reading Books, Shopping and Cooking

Posted 17 February 2012 - 02:38 PM

Get rid of spider mites without using potentially dangerous pesticides. A number a predators feed on the spider mite. Introduce the western predatory mite to your plants. Commercially available as a spider mite treatment, these mites have longer legs and are more active than spider mites. You can also introduce six-spotted thrips, spider mite destroyer lady beetles and lacewings. Spider mites don't like water or humidity. Kill them by regularly spraying the plants with a forceful stream of water.
0

Share this topic:


Page 1 of 1

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users