• Last »

SUNFLOWER CLUB for all sunflower lovers and growers

#1 User is offline   fishbrain 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 13 July 2010 - 05:32 PM

see that many clubs available right now... so might as well

i start by offering free seeds, not much but it will get more sooner or later.

join me? digitalgate? tropicana? mich?

#2 User is offline   digitalgate 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 13 July 2010 - 06:43 PM

that be nice. Growing sunflower. one my volunteer suggested that let grow only one plant in the garden. No vegetable, no herb. Just thousands of sunflower!
Oooooooo... Then we can appear on the news paper, CG that only grow sunflower and nothing else.

#3 User is offline   Serene 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Episcias, sinningias, achimenes ,orchids and edibles

Posted 13 July 2010 - 07:17 PM

Wow ! very good idea, chawan and myself will "cheong" to ur garden if is real :hysterical:/> :hysterical:/>

#4 User is offline   Il Pirata 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Low Maintenance plants which do well in a very limited space on a HDB corridor that receives seasonal sunlight

Posted 13 July 2010 - 08:20 PM

No need to go Hokkaido anymore!

#5 User is offline   alan lim 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 13 July 2010 - 08:46 PM

count me in.

#6 User is offline   Chawanmushi 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Trying to get green things to grow at Chawan's Landing!

Posted 13 July 2010 - 09:27 PM

View PostSerene, on 13 July 2010 - 07:17 PM, said:

Wow ! very good idea, chawan and myself will "cheong" to ur garden if is real :hysterical:/> :hysterical:/>

Ya man! Giant ones, big ones, medium ones, small ones and dwarf ones .... I wanna see them all in your garden!

#7 User is offline   bargainhunter 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 13 July 2010 - 10:32 PM

Hi
I would like to join! I just started growing sunflowers this year. Not terribly successful because of snails and poor methods, but i keep trying.

My Greenheart - 1 successful specimen. Now, I am growing dwarfs. Actually they are shorter than I thought - midgets - not far off the ground:
http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/vv18/bargainhunter_album/Sunflower/DSCF1172.jpg

#8 Guestbotanica_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 14 July 2010 - 08:12 AM

+Hi I would like to join. I have some giant Sunflower seeds to share (can grow to 3.5m) We can have competition to see whose can grow the tallest and biggest. Tks+

#9 User is offline   fishbrain 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 14 July 2010 - 08:50 AM

I am glad to see the enthuasism in some of you all.

As for mass plant sunflower, if one whole 'padang' of it is seriously very eye catching, and it can result to be tourist attraction. DOn't need to go Hokaido so far, my wife told me in Thailand there were several sunflower fields and a lot of tourist will visit it and take pictures. It will be in my 'list to do' for next visit to Thailand. I will support DigitialGate on his proposal :)/>

I think it will be cool to have a GCS's very own 'tallest sunflower' and 'biggest sunflower head' contest. Just for the fun of it. Probably some general rules to follow, like having the same type of sunflower seeds, obviously using giant mammoths will be the best.

As for now, do post all your sunflowers collection here, we need to poison more people to join the club :)/>

#10 User is offline   Chawanmushi 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 14 July 2010 - 10:35 AM

I wanna try to grow the dwarfs .... where can I buy seeds here for dwarf sunflowers. I only know there's Teddy bears at FEF.
I think I can't handle giants lah! They frighten me .... LOL

This post has been edited by Chawanmushi: 14 July 2010 - 10:36 AM

#11 Guestbotanica_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 14 July 2010 - 10:47 AM

[+ You got CG should be easy lar - just plant the seed and put one corner - got fence? very easy - stake to it for support+

#12 User is offline   fishbrain 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 14 July 2010 - 11:04 AM

Yes you are right, planting giants is scary but it also satisfying, not forgetting the attention you get. My neighbours are basically coming up to my house and asking me about it, and asking for seeds as they would love to try it. Some even take pictures... its funny moment, but it is great. Most importantly is self satisfaction.

I also want to look for drawf and some perennials... MO anyone?

#13 User is offline   fishbrain 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 14 July 2010 - 11:08 AM

I have Giant's Kong Hybrid, can give each person 5 seeds, sorry quite limited. About 50 seeds available now. Fill up :)/>

1. PURPLETARE
2. ButterflyPea
3. pino
4. passion88
5. Alan Lim

One more thing, I am in Malaysia... if any SG people would want it, I will send to DigitalGate and let him distribute to you guys

This post has been edited by fishbrain: 20 July 2010 - 12:43 PM

#14 User is offline   Mich 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 14 July 2010 - 11:09 AM

View Postfishbrain, on 14 July 2010 - 08:50 AM, said:

I am glad to see the enthuasism in some of you all.

As for mass plant sunflower, if one whole 'padang' of it is seriously very eye catching, and it can result to be tourist attraction. DOn't need to go Hokaido so far, my wife told me in Thailand there were several sunflower fields and a lot of tourist will visit it and take pictures. It will be in my 'list to do' for next visit to Thailand. I will support DigitialGate on his proposal :)/>

I think it will be cool to have a GCS's very own 'tallest sunflower' and 'biggest sunflower head' contest. Just for the fun of it. Probably some general rules to follow, like having the same type of sunflower seeds, obviously using giant mammoths will be the best.

As for now, do post all your sunflowers collection here, we need to poison more people to join the club :)/>

Yo fishbrain!! I have the same idea too!! the place in thailand for sunflower fields is called Lopburi.. Only from November to early March every year... they grow in for commercial purposes.. I wanted to go there last year but i missed the chance... I might try to go this year but I have no clue how to get there except that I know there is train and coaches from bangkok going there everyday :)/>

As for a whole garden of sunflower.. I can only envy.. cos I live in flats.. :)/> but I can try to influece ppl living in flats with enough sun to grow them.. all my neighbours were extremly happy to walkover and see my sunflowers while they were in bloom :)/>

Somewhere ard my estate there is a stretch of green where a few aunties have taken over small plots and treat it like their own personal garden.. but I have no clue if there is any CG ard my place.. any ideaa where I can get info on that? Digitalgate?

oo... I am so happy to see a Sunflower club in here.. LOL

#15 User is offline   purpletare 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 14 July 2010 - 11:58 AM

View Postfishbrain, on 14 July 2010 - 11:08 AM, said:

I have Giant's Kong Hybrid, can give each person 5 seeds, sorry quite limited. About 50 seeds available now. Fill up :)/>

1. PURPLETARE

One more thing, I am in Malaysia... if any SG people would want it, I will send to DigitalGate and let him distribute to you guys

CAN RESERVE 5 SEED FOR ME. I CAN SEND SASE TO YOU AND YOU CAN POST TO MY MALAYSIA HOME ADDRESS.- PURPLETARE
I have experience grass hopper attack on my sunflower leave. How to get ride of grass hopper?

#16 User is offline   fishbrain 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 14 July 2010 - 11:59 AM

You can always start your own CG, just need to discuss with the rest of the neighbours :)/>

#17 User is offline   fishbrain 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 14 July 2010 - 12:11 PM

View Postpurpletare, on 14 July 2010 - 11:58 AM, said:

CAN RESERVE 5 SEED FOR ME. I CAN SEND SASE TO YOU AND YOU CAN POST TO MY MALAYSIA HOME ADDRESS.- PURPLETARE
I have experience grass hopper attack on my sunflower leave. How to get ride of grass hopper?

Okay sure. Pm-ed you.

#18 User is offline   digitalgate 

• PipPipPip

Posted 14 July 2010 - 02:21 PM

View PostMich, on 14 July 2010 - 11:09 AM, said:

Yo fishbrain!! I have the same idea too!! the place in thailand for sunflower fields is called Lopburi.. Only from November to early March every year... they grow in for commercial purposes.. I wanted to go there last year but i missed the chance... I might try to go this year but I have no clue how to get there except that I know there is train and coaches from bangkok going there everyday :)/>

oo... I am so happy to see a Sunflower club in here.. LOL

eh.... what info? Dont try teddy bear sunflower, it has the poorest germination rate. Even italian sunflower is better than that. 80 seed only 3 germinate. So dont waste your time.

Sungold sun (giant version of teddy bear) is quite easy but there is no seed from all my plant.

Moulin rouge is easy.

Kong easy

Russian also easy.
Florenza dont bother the colour is so wash out.
Bicolour is quite easy very consistent in the colour

Horti is the best ,easiest of all the seed.

This post has been edited by digitalgate: 14 July 2010 - 02:23 PM

#19 User is offline   digitalgate 

• PipPipPip

Posted 14 July 2010 - 02:25 PM

don't germinate 5 expect 1 to grow. germinate 10 and expect 3 to grow is a better plan

#20 User is offline   Chawanmushi 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 14 July 2010 - 03:06 PM

I remember surfing the Horti website in Malaysia and they seem to sell a lot of sunflower seeds but they only sell to commercial organisations.
The link is here ......
Helianthus List

Maybe our Malaysian friends can help us here with more info.
How to get the seeds listed from this company?

This post has been edited by Chawanmushi: 14 July 2010 - 03:10 PM

Share this topic:

• 11 Pages +
  • Last »

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users