GCS Forum: Fungus? - GCS Forum

Page 1 of 1

Fungus?

#1 User is offline   TMSeah 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 27 May 2010 - 12:53 AM

Hi notice recently some phal of mine got fungus , I think. I water my phal twice one in the morning and another at night. I need some advice. Should I stop watering at night as I notice my mounted phal was pretty dry or should I used fungicide to prevent this. Now I just cut away Infected portion of the leaf. Wonder does it help if I apply fungicide to cure rather then cut away.

http://i745.photobucket.com/albums/xx95/tmseah/1274889420.jpg
http://i745.photobucket.com/albums/xx95/tmseah/1274020796.jpg

#2 User is offline   shawnchen 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Phalaenopsis

Posted 27 May 2010 - 12:57 AM

Normally what I would do is cut away the affected area and apply fungicide directly on the would to help dry up and close the wound and also to prevent further spreading... Spraying might not kill all the fungi..

#3 User is offline   8qpz 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 27 May 2010 - 01:28 PM

It looks more like rot to me, maybe you should water it once in the morning and once in the late afternoon ~4pm instead, so that the plant can dry out faster than watering in the night. Spray fungicide regularly too.

#4 User is offline   digitalgate 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 27 May 2010 - 02:03 PM

watering is anytime U like , at least that what I do. You might be horrified that i can water 12noon with no kill effect.
that look like bacteria problem. cut 2 cm away from the leave , apply fungicides or use constan 20 or physan 20.

#5 User is offline   TMSeah 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 27 May 2010 - 08:01 PM

Thanks for all yr feedback. That is what I am doing now cutting away the infected area. What I do not understand is the cause and prevention. Should I stop watering at night or continue but use fungicide regularly to prevent this.

#6 User is offline   8qpz 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 27 May 2010 - 09:09 PM

I think you should stop watering at night, water instead in the late afternoon or evening, because if the plants cannot dry out fast enough it would lead to rot/bacteria infection/fungi, etc. You can sometimes water at night, but i recommend the use of fungicide. Spray fungicide regularly , prob once a week.

#7 User is offline   shawnchen 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 27 May 2010 - 10:41 PM

actually fungus, bacteria or what, one good way to discourage all these is to have good air circulation.

In nature the plants can't really control whether it rains at night or in the morning, even etc can they?

Phals are not that weak la. Being epiphytes, air circulation around the roots and foliage is extremely impt.

If the environment is correct, the plants will still do well without much chemicals, not that I'm an 'organic' advocate though. I prefer chemicals over organics anytime when it comes to diseases... Do try to see what they are lacking, and provide it if possible..

This post has been edited by shawnchen89: 27 May 2010 - 10:46 PM

#8 User is offline   digitalgate 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 28 May 2010 - 08:05 AM

More likely you might have mites other small biting insect problem. Check the plant under the leave.

#9 User is offline   TMSeah 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 28 May 2010 - 02:18 PM

It is not mites. I have already check that out.

I think I will just water the roots without getting the leaf wet at night for a start to monitor how is the situation. I might considering getting a small fans to increase air circulation after watering if I keeping getting this problem. My humidity is around 65 ~ 80.

#10 User is offline   wind08 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 28 May 2010 - 03:01 PM

a small osculating fan would be good. Ron advised me the other time, he told me to on small fan for 15mins/hour. That can be done using a timer :D/>

But so far, I haven't gone to that extent la. See how things go first :P/>

#11 User is offline   Jeffrey 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 28 May 2010 - 03:02 PM

View PostTMSeah, on 28 May 2010 - 02:18 PM, said:

It is not mites. I have already check that out.

I think I will just water the roots without getting the leaf wet at night for a start to monitor how is the situation. I might considering getting a small fans to increase air circulation after watering if I keeping getting this problem. My humidity is around 65 ~ 80.

Hi

If air circulation is good, it's ok for water to touch the leaves. I soak my entire plant in a pail of water twice a week for a min or so.

The key thing is air circulation and the type of media used.

My phal is in a clay pot with holes. It is in 100% spagnum moss packed to the brim. The reason I did this was I wanted to have something to fit my schedule. I did not have time to water my plants everyday. With this set up, I water my plants max 3 times a week, usually twice. The way i water is to soak the plants in a pail of water until it's dripping wet. Of course there are controversies to this as such a way of soaking is a surest way to spread diseases between plants. But it works well for me for the last 10 years. my phals flower non-stop. I put my plants in bright shade, airy environment and sometimes they do get a bit of direct afternoon sun.

Hence, it is impt to see your environment and what suits the plant. Use media to play with your preferred watering schedule. Took me a while to get it, but eventually you will.

If you are not sure, touch your moss, if the surface is moist, i guarantee the inside is very wet. I have taken out bone dry spag moss out of a pot and realise the inside is still moist.

Watering twice a day to me is too much if you are using moss as media. if you are using charcoal etc, that may still be OK but phals dun do that well in such well draining media.

To err on the dry side is safe than the wet side.

#12 User is offline   paphioboy 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:All Orchidaceae, CPs (especially nepenthes), Asclepiads and all other plants...

Posted 28 May 2010 - 09:51 PM

That looks like Erwinia bacterial rot to me. It spreads very rapidly once started and must be removed immediately. Keep the affected plant in a drier place afte cutting the affected portion of the leaf off. This is usually caused when the plant is exposed to heavy rain or continuous dripping from above..

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users