Page 1 of 1

Thomson Washing Machine

#1 User is offline   season 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Travels, photography, gardening

Posted 27 April 2010 - 03:12 PM

Hi, anyone knows any electrical shop "longbang" that gives a good price for this brand of washer. I wanna do a price comparison before purchase.

Thanks.

season

#2 User is offline   Greenapple 

• PipPip

Posted 27 April 2010 - 03:21 PM

You can try :

Kong Tai Electrical Trading at Blk 504 Jurong West St 51
Tel: 65658924

or

Goh Ah Bee at Hougang

#3 User is offline   judetan 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Hash house running, gardening, golfing, reading, movies, wine, cooking

Posted 27 April 2010 - 03:51 PM

Parisilk typically gives decent prices - they have 3 branches.

Little known fact: Harvey Norman also can bargain. If you have a good price from somewhere, "challenge" them to meet - they typically will if the item is large enough. "Extra benefit" in the form of big store support thereafter.

#4 User is offline   mm 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 27 April 2010 - 04:22 PM

We used to get our household appliances from our regular small dealer, but in the last few years, we've switched the larger ones (Best Denki, Courts ...), even though they were generally slightly more expensive. Why? For the extended warranties. These are not free, and are generally 10% of the purchase price, but you get peace of mind. Most appliances come with only 1-2 yr warranty, but my experience have been that they tend to fail after that.

Both our Electrolux washer and dryer had repeated failures in the last 5 yrs. But all were covered by the extended warranty. I finally had to change the washer after it broke down last week (for the 4th or 5th time), just after the expiry of the extended warranty. And mind you, this was the (at that time) top-of-the-line model.

Prior to that, we had Elbas, Brandts and Bosches, which dieded around 2-3 yrs. The shortest lived was a Korean-made Cornell, which came with a 7kg capacity, and at very attractive price. I got what I paid for, and it had to be replaced after 1 1/2 yrs.

#5 User is offline   judetan 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Hash house running, gardening, golfing, reading, movies, wine, cooking

Posted 27 April 2010 - 04:33 PM

Agree with mm. Ironically I heard that the best cost-effective brand (most relaible) in the marketplace today for washing machines is LG. Also, do not buy a combo washer dryer, as the dryer function typically "dies" in around 4 years as opposed to the washer function's average of 8 years (the ratio being 1:2). Was told by the Parisilk boss that the failuer rate of the dryer component is as high as 80% in that time ratio.

#6 User is offline   mm 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 27 April 2010 - 05:03 PM

View Postjudetan, on 27 April 2010 - 04:33 PM, said:

Ironically I heard that the best cost-effective brand (most relaible) in the marketplace today for washing machines is LG.

NOW you tell me! :D/>, just when we got our new one delivered Sat. We did see some pretty fancy Samsung and LG models - with new-fangled Silver-ion coatings, steam wash, etc.... though.

#7 User is offline   petunialee 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 27 April 2010 - 05:38 PM

View Postmm, on 27 April 2010 - 05:03 PM, said:

NOW you tell me! :D/>, just when we got our new one delivered Sat. We did see some pretty fancy Samsung and LG models - with new-fangled Silver-ion coatings, steam wash, etc.... though.

I bought LG because it was a cheap Korean brand some 16 years ago... and I was a somewhat impecunious newly wed. It was called Goldstar or something then? I gave it away to a relative 10 years ago. It is still washing her clothes. My next LG is 6 years old. It still washes real good even though I put in king-sized quilts every so often.

The Fisher & Paykel fridge that The Husband bought however, at a time when our wallets and family had grown somewhat... had to be repaired 8 times in 2 years... and it was finally carted off to their factory and then carted back, and then it crashed again after 2 years.

The tenant's LG fridge (we told ourselves to give them a cheap fridge) never gave problems. I have an LG fridge now. The LGs are really good buys. Cheap and lasting... but I dunno if that has changed.

This post has been edited by petunialee: 27 April 2010 - 05:43 PM

#8 User is offline   mm 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 27 April 2010 - 05:54 PM

View Postpetunialee, on 27 April 2010 - 05:38 PM, said:

I bought LG because it was a cheap Korean brand some 16 years ago... and I was a somewhat impecunious newly wed. It was called Goldstar or something then? I gave it away to a relative 10 years ago. It is still washing her clothes. My next LG is 6 years old. It still washes real good even though I put in king-sized quilts every so often.

Really good buy. Cheap and lasting... but I dunno if that has changed.

NOW YOU tell me! But I must qualify my earlier remarks. Most Singaporean sized (i.e. small) nuclear families have 3-5 members, and the washers probably run an average of 5-7 loads per week. We run 2-3 loads, per DAY. In a way, you could call it accelerated testing. So the early failures of those machines are not necesarily an indication of their poor reliability, but perhaps, more an indictment of the hostile operating environment that is my home.

#9 User is offline   season 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 27 April 2010 - 11:27 PM

View Postmm, on 27 April 2010 - 05:54 PM, said:

NOW YOU tell me! But I must qualify my earlier remarks. Most Singaporean sized (i.e. small) nuclear families have 3-5 members, and the washers probably run an average of 5-7 loads per week. We run 2-3 loads, per DAY. In a way, you could call it accelerated testing. So the early failures of those machines are not necesarily an indication of their poor reliability, but perhaps, more an indictment of the hostile operating environment that is my home.

Although the brand is good but not all the product line is, have to check where the machine are manufacture from which country. I chose Thomson because its top loading washer is the top of the line, durable and wash well plus with with temp, now i even throw in my delicate/handwash clothes in and push in my matress protector and it turn out ok unlike my mom's toshiba/samsung one of my knitted top arm hole become bigger and turtle neck stretch lopsided. Don't have problem mine with it until 2yr ago and got it service now still wash ok but got dying sound so better retired her, hey 10 long years don't think it can take that abuse anymore...ha ha.

#10 User is offline   islaverde 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:tree ferns, orchids, mosses, fragrant plants, anthuriums, alocasias, xanthosomas, monsteras, philodendrons, tropical america flora, heliconias, gingers, calatheas, creepers, forest ecology

Posted 28 April 2010 - 08:49 AM

is it true that top loaders tend to stretch your clothing over time?
Had been using european side load machines.. is brandt good? over time does the drum spin very noisily? theres a neighbour whose machine spinning can be heard across like 20 metres away.

#11 User is offline   season 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 28 April 2010 - 10:24 AM

View Postislaverde, on 28 April 2010 - 08:49 AM, said:

is it true that top loaders tend to stretch your clothing over time?
Had been using european side load machines.. is brandt good? over time does the drum spin very noisily? theres a neighbour whose machine spinning can be heard across like 20 metres away.

Yes, they are definitely noisy beacause they are design to be slim and power consuming each wash can drag for 145min but the good side is they waste very little water because the drum spin vertically not sideways as other asia washer where water need to surmerge the clothes. After spin dry the clothes won't run out of shape and you won't get any residue detergent in the your clothes. My clothes are not stretch infact they have been shrunk because forgot to release the temperature setting!

I have not use brandt/front loader(dangerous with young children) but brandt is the same company as thomson except brandt is mid/affordable range while thomson is the premium range. There's a guy who is very knowledgeble about washing machine you check out the discussion in singapore brides.

#12 User is offline   greennature 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 28 April 2010 - 11:32 AM

I think the washing machines today tend to break down more often now as more electrical components are used as compared to the old mainly mechanical based machines. It is a good idea to buy the extended warranties as my washing machine has been short circuited by a tiny crockroach and the belt underneath the washing machine needed tightening. The serviceman warned us to ensure that all coins are removed from pockets as many washing machines have broken down because a 50 cent or $1 coin was disloged from the pockets and ended up jamming the machine.

#13 User is offline   islaverde 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:tree ferns, orchids, mosses, fragrant plants, anthuriums, alocasias, xanthosomas, monsteras, philodendrons, tropical america flora, heliconias, gingers, calatheas, creepers, forest ecology

Posted 28 April 2010 - 10:33 PM

i wonder if one day no washing machines... how many of us can go back to the traditional hand washing on wooden board with brush? heh

#14 User is offline   mm 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 29 April 2010 - 10:22 AM

View Postislaverde, on 28 April 2010 - 10:33 PM, said:

i wonder if one day no washing machines... how many of us can go back to the traditional hand washing on wooden board with brush? heh

:)/> Actually, something vaguely similar happened to our family years ago. Our first washing machine in the early 1960s was a huge, noisy and thirsty beast which had a peculiar appetite for buttons and was unforgiving to anything without heavy-duty stitching. And it didn't wash the clothes particularly well either. Eventually, we reverted back to the services of the neighbourhood washerwoman, duly equipped with board and brush. Actually, she also didn't wash the clothes particularly well either, but that's a different story ...

#15 User is offline   TruthfulLies 

• Pip

Posted 01 December 2011 - 04:33 PM

I like Thomson for its washing machines .
I would like to add some points:
The washers are used to clean clothes and sheets, but the machine needs to be cleaned from time to time it will not work effectively. In addition to mold, soap scum, dirt deposits and mineral can accumulate in the washer. After a thorough cleaning, you can run the washing machine once a month at a hot temperature setting with nothing but bleach to keep mold and bacteria at bay.

1.Fill a bowl with a quart of hot water, 1 / 2 cup of baking soda and 1 / 2 cup vinegar. Remove the parts that are intended to come out as the detergent dispenser or a fabric softener. Soak in the tub for 10 minutes before scrubbing and rinsing it under running cold water.

2.Mix another batch of cleaning the bowl with a quart of hot water, soda 1 / 2 cup of soda and vinegar 1 / 2 cup. Dip a brush into the solution and use it to scrub the area around the fabric softener and detergent dispensers. Scrub the entire interior of the washer and the door.

3.Fill a spray bottle of cleaning solution and use it to spray hard to reach areas of the washer. Let the cleaner sit in the washer before rinsing off with a second spray bottle of clean water.

4.Put undiluted bleach in a spray bottle and use vacuum fumigation of areas that are not yet free from mold, or cleaning. Allow the bleach to sit for a few minutes before scrubbing and rinsing it with water.

5.Put the detergent and fabric softener dispenser back together. Pour two cups of bleach in the bucket of the machine. Set the washer to the hottest setting and the longest wash cycle. Allow it to run through completing the cleaning process.
washing machines

#16 User is offline   digitalgate 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 01 December 2011 - 10:06 PM

View Postmm, on 27 April 2010 - 05:54 PM, said:

mine was washing at 4 to 5 times a day. Good thing dryer did not get to use so often.Daewood break down after 3 years.:(/>

#17 User is offline   spheredome 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 02 December 2011 - 12:31 PM

Higher Cost and higher quality comes together. High quality does not mean no problem; just that the problem is not major. Cheap WM will have major problem most of the time. Imagine my Fairprice Hypermart purchased Diamond Drum WM requires water leveller to make sure it is super flat to stop its bing pong piang during spin. Haiz.

Unless otherwise stated in the specs, all WM are super noisy during spinning.

Do not overload your WM all the time. Front loading does makes the cloth longer and uses less water by design.
If you mix blanket, jeans with your cotton shirts = you get a tillandsia tectorum shirt.

I am hearing lots of good remarks about Goh Ah Bee. You call them, state the model you want, check and nego the price, agreed and they sent to your home.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users