GCS Forum: Malunggay - GCS Forum

Page 1 of 1

Malunggay Anybody growing this plant called "MORINGA (in English)" and

#1 User is offline   Harry Porter 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 08 April 2010 - 02:17 PM

May I ask if anybody in Singapore try growing this plant called "MORINGA (in English)" and "Malunggay(in Philippines)"?

#2 User is offline   Rygalin 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 08 April 2010 - 06:20 PM

I am looking for a cutting actually. Its called Moringa Oleifera I believe, Murungay in Tamil and Malay I think. The leaves are very good for immune system I hear, fruits also edible and sold in Little India. In my home garden in Malaysia we used to have a tree but that was long ago, before my family moved.I am sure there are some growing 'wild' here or on the roadside.If you know where to get cuttings please let me know.

Rygalin

View PostHarry Porter, on 08 April 2010 - 02:17 PM, said:

May I ask if anybody in Singapore try growing this plant called "MORINGA (in English)" and "Malunggay(in Philippines)"?

#3 User is offline   pebble 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:AV, Episcia, foliage plants, edibles

Posted 08 April 2010 - 09:12 PM

Yes, I have Moringa. But mine is just grown from a cutting. Very small still, so can't share with you yet.

Actually, I got this from my Filipino domestic helper who went home and came back with some cuttings. They also pronounce it as "Ma-roong-gai" in Philippines. They are plentiful there. The leaves can be eaten too. So, perhaps you can find them in the wet markets too.

#4 User is offline   Rygalin 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 10 April 2010 - 06:02 PM

Yes its plentiful in Philippines and I understand they use it for several medical conditions like infertility. In fact there was a programme on this on Okto.
Leaves are sold in Little India sometimes but beacuse it doesnt keep well tends to be faded by the time we buy and bring home.I will continue to look for a cutting from someone with a mature tree.

View Postpebble, on 08 April 2010 - 09:12 PM, said:

Yes, I have Moringa. But mine is just grown from a cutting. Very small still, so can't share with you yet.

Actually, I got this from my Filipino domestic helper who went home and came back with some cuttings. They also pronounce it as "Ma-roong-gai" in Philippines. They are plentiful there. The leaves can be eaten too. So, perhaps you can find them in the wet markets too.

#5 User is offline   AhSeng 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 12 April 2010 - 09:15 AM

edited out. sorry, lousy suggestion by me...

This post has been edited by AhSeng: 12 April 2010 - 11:34 PM

#6 User is offline   bargainhunter 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 03 June 2010 - 07:18 PM

Hi everyone

From my post in another thread, found out I actually am holding on to 2 bags of Moringa Oleifera seeds.

Given by some people in Cebu. I will keep a few to try growing this herb tree, and am offering the rest to anyone who wants to grow too. Please PM me and I will send each person 3-4 seeds each. I think I have enough for about 10-15 people.

Unfortunately, I will not be able to do sending until 3rd week June - am away. Thank you for understanding.

thanks

#7 User is offline   Abby Lim 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:All plants, Bonsai & cooking

Posted 03 June 2010 - 07:56 PM

I saw those leave sold in wet market before and just wonder who eat those branches. Lately my boss's helper got 1 big cutting and planted in her wash area, boss pull it out and ask gardener to put in the hole that on ah gong road side, small pretty leave growing out now.

#8 User is offline   NBS 

• Pip

Posted 07 February 2014 - 03:20 PM

Dear all,

Anyone has a cutting to spare? Hope to plant it.

Thanks!

#9 User is offline   marvinuncleherbs 

• PipPip

Posted 20 March 2015 - 05:48 PM

One of my favorite "the super food" malunggay!

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users