GCS Forum: Yam plant, what category does it come under - GCS Forum

Page 1 of 1

Yam plant, what category does it come under How is Yam plant categorised. Where can I buy broad-leaf yam plant .

#1 User is offline   raintree 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Location:Bedok Reservoir & Bedok Town Park happily & willingly sandwiched in between
  • Interests:Admiring plant & trees for their beneficial effects to mankind

Posted 28 March 2010 - 11:29 AM

Which category of plant is the YAM.

You see it outside Orchard Central shopping mall.

Where can I buy this plant with a "Big" and "Round" tuber growing above the potted soil that I use to see
at homes in Taiwan. I prefer a size for growing in balcony.Any idea it pricing for a 1 or 2 footer and where
to look for them.

What I see at nurseries are just big leaved yam plant with a "longish" tuber showing above the pot.

Thanks.

#2 User is offline   exotic n easy 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:nature, tradition, theosophy, art, creation, design...

Posted 28 March 2010 - 11:59 AM

View Postraintree, on 28 March 2010 - 11:29 AM, said:

Which category of plant is the YAM.

You see it outside Orchard Central shopping mall.

Where can I buy this plant with a "Big" and "Round" tuber growing above the potted soil that I use to see
at homes in Taiwan. I prefer a size for growing in balcony.Any idea it pricing for a 1 or 2 footer and where
to look for them.

What I see at nurseries are just big leaved yam plant with a "longish" tuber showing above the pot.

Thanks.

The yam plant, or any plant that looks like it, belongs to the aroid family, Araceae, same family as the money plant.
From your description, you seem to be looking for Alocasia cucullata, which was commonly called "Taiwanese Yam". This plant is not commonly available in Singapore, but they sometimes appear in roadside plant stalls at flea markets, or you can try the roadside plant stalls along Waterloo Street....

By the way, please be reminded that these plants are not the edible yam, just toxic plants closely related to the edible yam.

This post has been edited by exotic n easy: 28 March 2010 - 12:11 PM

#3 User is offline   raintree 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Location:Bedok Reservoir & Bedok Town Park happily & willingly sandwiched in between

Posted 28 March 2010 - 12:18 PM

View Postexotic n easy, on 28 March 2010 - 11:59 AM, said:

The yam plant, or any plant that looks like it, belongs to the aroid family, Araceae, same family as the money plant.
From your description, you seem to be looking for Alocasia cucullata, which was commonly called "Taiwanese Yam". This plant is not commonly available in Singapore, but they sometimes appear in roadside plant stalls at flea markets, or you can try the roadside plant stalls along Waterloo Street....

By the way, please be reminded that these plants are not the edible yam, just toxic plants closely related to the edible yam.

Thank you very much for the knowledge.

Any idea how to care for it such as watering each day, hours of sunshine, how long can I keep it indoor before I have to bring it into the sunshine gradually .

It is a good looking plant in the living room with its broad shiny leaves and round tuber. Do we call it tuber or root or bulb ?

Cheers !

#4 User is offline   exotic n easy 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:nature, tradition, theosophy, art, creation, design...

Posted 04 April 2010 - 11:11 PM

View Postraintree, on 28 March 2010 - 12:18 PM, said:

Thank you very much for the knowledge.

Any idea how to care for it such as watering each day, hours of sunshine, how long can I keep it indoor before I have to bring it into the sunshine gradually .

It is a good looking plant in the living room with its broad shiny leaves and round tuber. Do we call it tuber or root or bulb ?

Cheers !

Keep it in a bright, shaded area, not being exposed to any strong winds...watering wise, spray its leaves and water it liberally, not allowing its media to dry out at any time. If you are intending to keep it in your living room, just put it in a bright area, and there is no need to bring it out to sun anymore

If you have plans to keep it indoors, and as this plant is an aquatic marginal plant, I would suggest that you uproot and wash it clean of soil and grow it with its roots in a dish or bottle of pea gravel and water, so that you wont have to spray it or water it anymore.. you should however, change the water every weekend, or the stale water will rot the plant.

and yes, it is a tuber of an aroid plant...

#5 User is offline   raintree 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 26 April 2012 - 09:56 AM

OK now a picture is worth a 1000 words ! Here goes.

http://i491.photobuc...to/P1090286.jpg

I saw this plant outside a coffee house in town.

Where can I buy this but in a small manageable size to be placed at my balcony where only one third of it has sunlight for 3 to 4 hours at a angle each day.

I like to read on the sofa chair by the balcony and would like to have this plant to look at when I relax after a few pages.

I have been to waterloo Street near the Temple but I have never seen this plant.
Can some kind soul lend a helping hand as to where I can buy it and roughly how much it would cost.

Thank you very much.

This post has been edited by raintree: 26 April 2012 - 10:24 AM

#6 User is offline   Skechid 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Anything that's easy to grow and doesn't require CRAZY amounts of sun, water, care and can take a lil neglect. *ahem*

Posted 26 April 2012 - 06:03 PM

I usually see it sold during CNY. Not sure where they usually sell it. I had a plant of it before, grew it in a koi pond. Grew wild, but then after a while it got too messy and choked up the pipes and stuff. Mommy threw it away. *lol*

#7 User is offline   successnowhere 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 26 April 2012 - 10:57 PM

Elephant Yam ???

http://inlinethumb20.webshots.com/48531/2652659240105881756S500x500Q85.jpg

#8 User is offline   Skechid 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Anything that's easy to grow and doesn't require CRAZY amounts of sun, water, care and can take a lil neglect. *ahem*

Posted 27 April 2012 - 12:12 PM

Isn't that amorphallus?

#9 User is offline   Greyfingers 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 27 April 2012 - 12:39 PM

View Postraintree, on 26 April 2012 - 09:56 AM, said:

OK now a picture is worth a 1000 words ! Here goes.

http://i491.photobuc...to/P1090286.jpg

I saw this plant outside a coffee house in town.

Where can I buy this but in a small manageable size to be placed at my balcony where only one third of it has sunlight for 3 to 4 hours at a angle each day.

I like to read on the sofa chair by the balcony and would like to have this plant to look at when I relax after a few pages.

I have been to waterloo Street near the Temple but I have never seen this plant.
Can some kind soul lend a helping hand as to where I can buy it and roughly how much it would cost.

Thank you very much.

I think you've got the wrong picture?

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users