GCS Forum: Growing Curcumas - GCS Forum

Page 1 of 1

Growing Curcumas

#1 User is offline   shamrock 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 20 February 2005 - 01:20 PM

Don't give up - they are too lovely. My pink once have reflowered more than 4 times. The white has yet too but that's a recent acquisition. Just give it a dry rest period between flowering.

I'm keen to find a red one now. Anyone seen them?

#2 User is offline   HortVet 

• Flowering & Foliage Plants Advisor
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:all sorts of plants

Posted 20 February 2005 - 04:04 PM

shamrock said:

Don't give up - they are too lovely. My pink once have reflowered more than 4 times. The white has yet too but that's a recent acquisition. Just give it a dry rest period between flowering.

Hello Shamrock, nice to c u again. I'm interested in knowing when is the flowering/growth season in Malaysia for them. I brought back corms of a new pink one, but never flowered that well for me to begin with, but I did do the respectable thing and dig them out from the pots to dry them. Never gotten round to plant them again (so bad of me I know) even though they did show signs of emerging from dormancy. Mine was a C. cordata hybrid. Which spp. are you refring to?

#3 User is offline   islaverde 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:tree ferns, orchids, mosses, fragrant plants, anthuriums, alocasias, xanthosomas, monsteras, philodendrons, tropical america flora, heliconias, gingers, calatheas, creepers, forest ecology

Posted 20 February 2005 - 07:02 PM

HortVet said:

shamrock said:

Hello Shamrock, nice to c u again. I'm interested in knowing when is the flowering/growth season in Malaysia for them. I brought back corms of a new pink one, but never flowered that well for me to begin with, but I did do the respectable thing and dig them out from the pots to dry them. Never gotten round to plant them again (so bad of me I know) even though they did show signs of emerging from dormancy. Mine was a C. cordata hybrid. Which spp. are you refring to?

There really isn't a need to dig them up and dry them. Just don't water the pot and put aside where the rains don't get them. After the dry rest, bring them out and start watering regularly.

#4 User is offline   HortVet 

• PipPipPip

Posted 20 February 2005 - 08:07 PM

islaverde said:

HortVet said:

shamrock said:

There really isn't a need to dig them up and dry them. Just don't water the pot and put aside where the rains don't get them. After the dry rest, bring them out and start watering regularly.

ah, no.... I had about 10 large pots of them cuz i bought quite afew :cool:
saved space by taking out the funny looking corms and storing them in a basket

#5 User is offline   shamrock 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 21 February 2005 - 02:53 PM

you can determine the flowering seasons by not watering them for a week or two. after that water a bit. i think mine flowered shortly after that.

gosh, i don't quite know the names of what i have but i do have photos. let me figure out how to attach. i'm not very familiar with this new site.

#6 User is offline   HortVet 

• PipPipPip

Posted 21 February 2005 - 08:27 PM

shamrock said:

you can determine the flowering seasons by not watering them for a week or two. after that water a bit. i think mine flowered shortly after that.

gosh, i don't quite know the names of what i have but i do have photos. let me figure out how to attach. i'm not very familiar with this new site.

oic, so you forced them to bloom. At what stage of their growth though?- after their 7th leaf or u just agak agak ?
it's quite easy to upload pictures to the post
Click on "img", copy or type the url of your image, then click the "img" button again. Click preview to check that evrything is A-OK b4 you 'submit'
Your image has to be in say photobucket or something similar like that.

#7 User is offline   gan55 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Plants, Choral Singing, Cooking, Computer Hardware, Haircutting

Posted 06 July 2005 - 12:14 AM

The flowers are gorgeous! No wonder have to build ginger temple...lol~ :hammer:

#8 User is offline   islaverde 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:tree ferns, orchids, mosses, fragrant plants, anthuriums, alocasias, xanthosomas, monsteras, philodendrons, tropical america flora, heliconias, gingers, calatheas, creepers, forest ecology

Posted 06 July 2005 - 08:39 AM

Calathea crotalifera seeds? Do you know why they are called rattleshakers? Its the sound the seeds make in the bracts!

#9 User is offline   HortVet 

• PipPipPip

Posted 06 July 2005 - 01:32 PM

the cordata loks great. So it can regrow in the ground quite well. Hmm..
Mine has got 2 shoots coming out last month, I got the rhizomes/corms in 2003, and this is the first time it has shown any signs of survival! It's in a pot of burnt earth mix. Hope it flowers :grin:

#10 User is offline   deTengs 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Gardening, reading, cooking

Posted 06 July 2005 - 03:48 PM

yeah..great to hear tt urs are starting to poke up from the ground too...mine has stayed in the ground for near to 3 years...for the past 2 years, I got only 1 inflorescence spike each season...the younglings on the side get stronger each year but not enough to produce inflorescence...

this 3rd year, I am part studying-hoping-praying that it can have 2 growths strong enough to produce an inflorescence each...remember to keep pests at bay though...they just love the succulent big leaves...

#11 User is offline   deTengs 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Gardening, reading, cooking

Posted 08 July 2005 - 09:49 AM

Hi everyone,
I hv a question though...see the ginger in my avatar? flowers are light yellow(not present in the pic). Anyone seen b4? I have not been able to ID it...

It has leaves that are broad, oval and have maroon undersides...I planted it in my garden about 1.5 years ago and it mysteriously melted after 6 months...now I have no inkling where it went...maybe also another seasonal ginger...

will appreciate some help...

cheers,
cw

#12 User is offline   Rence 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:ferns,orchids,philatelic, numismatic, fast food toy collectibles, tillandsia , bank notes, toys

Posted 08 July 2005 - 10:28 AM

This plant could not grow in our place

#13 User is offline   Rence 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:ferns,orchids,philatelic, numismatic, fast food toy collectibles, tillandsia , bank notes, toys

Posted 09 July 2005 - 05:17 PM

Beautiful!
How much shade does it need?

#14 Guestryan_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 08 October 2006 - 09:42 AM

here's one of my silly ones that has finally bloomed...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v224/ghundu88/plants/heliconias/DSCN7967.jpg

#15 User is offline   limxuanhong 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Orchids: Bulbos, Den, Paph, phrag, terrestials, Nepenthes, Tillandsia, CPs
    Also, Aroids, Gesneriads: AVs and Episcias, Ant plants
    Fish Rearing and breeding

Posted 08 October 2006 - 01:42 PM

Nice...looks diff from the usual one..? :P/>

#16 User is offline   shamrock 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 17 May 2008 - 12:13 PM

i have these and the white ones with pink tips but am looking for the red sort.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v496/shamrockv/IMG_2215.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v496/shamrockv/IMG_1620.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v496/shamrockv/IMG_1639.jpg

This post has been edited by shamrock: 17 May 2008 - 12:14 PM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users