• Last »

Another Vertical Garden

#1 User is offline   CK Yeo 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 22 March 2010 - 02:58 PM

Hi all,

Just to share my version of the vertical garden.
Advantage of this system is that it is incredibility simple and cheap to setup, yet flexible to use any pot size and position. The pots doesn't tilt as much as the system with bamboos and so erosion when watering is not much of a problem.
I am using a mixture of 5-12cm pots but most are 5-6cm pots. Media is coco-peat/perlite. Water as per normal.

Side profile.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v448/ckyeo/P1000151s.jpg

View from eye-level. There are still bare patches I am hoping will grow in or patch with something new.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v448/ckyeo/P1000147s.jpg

In case anyone wants any of the Coleus or Episcia, do drop me a PM. I am looking for more flowers and colours to spice it up.

ck

#2 User is offline   Il Pirata 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Low Maintenance plants which do well in a very limited space on a HDB corridor that receives seasonal sunlight

Posted 22 March 2010 - 05:27 PM

Hi - This is lovely! I wish I can do that too, but the corridor at my place is too narrow, and neighbours will brush against the plants when they walk past.... :(/>
So I end up growing my plants on the shaded side (there are protruding pillars which prevent people from walking close to the plants there).

#3 User is offline   CK Yeo 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 22 March 2010 - 06:17 PM

Thanks. The smaller the pots you choose, the narrower it will be. If you look closely, it is only 30cm wide. If you don't placed the bigger pots on the floor like I have, but hang them up instead, it can be narrower.

ck

#4 User is offline   ginkonut 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 22 March 2010 - 06:44 PM

WOW!Very Charming..
i started out Verticla gardening too...but ended up with something very flat and alot BOTAK patches!!
hahahaha!!!

This post has been edited by ginkonut: 22 March 2010 - 06:48 PM

#5 User is offline   crazyjellie 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 22 March 2010 - 07:12 PM

i love your v garden! stunning!
seems like your plants are loving the setup too, so lush & full!

is that a netting that you are tying the plants to? what material is it?
how did you ensure that the netting will not lean fwd over time? esp after watering
how did you secure the pots to the net?

sorry for asking so many questions

#6 User is offline   ginkonut 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 22 March 2010 - 08:08 PM

hey! cant help but keep admiring your garden. :wub:/> .kekekkeke.

I seemed to always have Spider mites problems with plants that i placed near the wall, you dun seem to have any such problem. where have i gone wrong? Please enlighten me..thanks! :flowers:/>

#7 User is offline   ed1euzd1 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Aikido. Carnivorous Plants.

Posted 22 March 2010 - 08:10 PM

awesome arrangement i would say.. JOB WELL DONE!

#8 User is offline   CK Yeo 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 22 March 2010 - 08:59 PM

Thanks all.

So far no spidermites. Touch wood. Mealy bugs keep coming back though even when I try to keep it down with regular checks and pesticide sprays. Maybe the local environment is humid enough to keep spider mites away? *Keep fingers crossed*

I am using this netting I got for covering the rain gutter from dropped leaves (from Oz when I was there last time. One bale $2). I suppose the semi-rigid black netting from fish shops will work as well. The whole thing is supported only by 4 wire clips (c-shaped white things with a short nail attached). Yes, the top will lean forward if you use big pots at the top and hang them in the middle of the clips. So I will hang them at or near the clips or use smaller pots of plants. The idea is to use small pots, but more of them to keep the whole thing narrow.

Coco-peat/perlite combi seems to be light enough to keep the weight down yet maintain moisture long enough for a whole day. I won't try that with soil.

Securing the pots to the net is even simpler. Coil Daiso 0.6mm coated wire ($2) around the pot with a bit of extra, such that the wire looks like a Q shape. Use the end to hang on the netting. Simple? I thought of poking holes in the edge of the pot for the wire, but that's too troublesome. Moreover, you won't have the flexibility to be able to turn the pot for the plant to show its best. They are hanging on the net. Which means you can move and rearrange the plants/pots until you are happy with it.

Cost not including plants: Netting $2, Wire clips one pack <$1 (I have some lying around), wire to hang for pots $2/18m. coco-peat $2 for bag. Perlite $2. Pots reused. Not bad for <$10 of hardware isn't it?

ck

This post has been edited by CK Yeo: 23 March 2010 - 09:20 AM

#9 User is offline   Grandiflora 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 22 March 2010 - 09:37 PM

View PostCK Yeo, on 22 March 2010 - 02:58 PM, said:

Side profile.

View from eye-level. There are still bare patches I am hoping will grow in or patch with something new.

In case anyone wants any of the Coleus or Episcia, do drop me a PM. I am looking for more flowers and colours to spice it up.

ck

CK, this is really quite gorgeous! Like how you cant see the pots (how i wish my begonia corner looked like this!). Can i ask how long youve had the purple oxalis? Does it get lanky or change colour? LURVE purple almost as much as i like cows (:hysterical:/>) and would love to add some of that colour to my largely green/black/silver begonia corner. Any special care for the oxalis?

#10 User is offline   CK Yeo 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 22 March 2010 - 09:48 PM

I love your begonia corner too. I am trying to resist starting a begonia collection. I had the Oxalis since Dec 09. Grown from leaf cutting because I can't find the rhizome sold in the supermarket whyee posted in another thread. No special care. The media dried out a few times too and still alive. Easy (bright) shade plant. Flowers everyday. Apparently office lighting is bright enough for it.

Wait till you see my horti purple petunia.... $1.55 of happiness in a pack.

ck

#11 User is offline   Dnn 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 22 March 2010 - 09:50 PM

View PostCK Yeo, on 22 March 2010 - 02:58 PM, said:

Hi all,

Just to share my version of the vertical garden.
Advantage of this system is that it is incredibility simple and cheap to setup, yet flexible to use any pot size and position. The pots doesn't tilt as much as the system with bamboos and so erosion when watering is not much of a problem.
I am using a mixture of 5-12cm pots but most are 5-6cm pots. Media is coco-peat/perlite. Water as per normal.

Side profile.

ck

Hi CK Yeo, your vertical garden is lovely. The colours are nice too, luscious looking.

#12 User is offline   miico 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 22 March 2010 - 10:00 PM

Hi CK...
Your garden is beautiful...!!!!

You mentioned using bamboo n stuff to structure your garden... from the pics cannot see how.. care to share how the setup in detail?

Thanks

#13 User is offline   CK Yeo 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 22 March 2010 - 10:09 PM

Thanks. How to use this multi-quote thingy huh?
No bamboo. Just net and clip. Read the post further on.

ck

#14 User is offline   Grandiflora 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 22 March 2010 - 10:11 PM

View PostCK Yeo, on 22 March 2010 - 09:48 PM, said:

I love your begonia corner too. I am trying to resist starting a begonia collection. I had the Oxalis since Dec 09. Grown from leaf cutting because I can't find the rhizome sold in the supermarket whyee posted in another thread. No special care. The media dried out a few times too and still alive. Easy (bright) shade plant. Flowers everyday. Apparently office lighting is bright enough for it.

Wait till you see my horti purple petunia.... $1.55 of happiness in a pack.

ck

Dont! Begonias are very stressful! Keeps me on my toes at all time and they keep rotting on me :(/> But really, if you can grow them, they are rewarding.

Does the oxalis get floppy (ie the leaf petioles droop or flop)? I think i noticed this in newly important specimens.

Sorry but i dont get the petunia thing. Ive always found them a tad too girly or cottagey for me :hysterical:/>. Anyone make fun of this and you will be shot, hahahahahaha!

View Postmiico, on 22 March 2010 - 10:00 PM, said:

Hi CK...
Your garden is beautiful...!!!!

You mentioned using bamboo n stuff to structure your garden... from the pics cannot see how.. care to share how the setup in detail?

Thanks

Exactly! Love how you cant see any of the mechanics!

#15 User is offline   ginkonut 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 22 March 2010 - 10:27 PM

i have the purple oxalis as well since Nov 09...mine gets wiry and at times floppy...always tilting to the direction of the sun. Nevertheless, love its clover look and always flowering..hmmmm..How to get it tamed?

#16 User is offline   Jeffrey 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 23 March 2010 - 12:39 AM

View PostCK Yeo, on 22 March 2010 - 10:09 PM, said:

Thanks. How to use this multi-quote thingy huh?
No bamboo. Just net and clip. Read the post further on.

ck

It is gorgeous... i will try something like that soon.. will need your advice then.. esp the choice of plants

#17 User is offline   CK Yeo 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 23 March 2010 - 09:19 AM

View Postginkonut, on 22 March 2010 - 10:27 PM, said:

i have the purple oxalis as well since Nov 09...mine gets wiry and at times floppy...always tilting to the direction of the sun. Nevertheless, love its clover look and always flowering..hmmmm..How to get it tamed?

Don't know. Like you said, they grow towards the direction of the light so it will right itself after everytime I move them around.

View PostJeffrey, on 23 March 2010 - 12:39 AM, said:

It is gorgeous... i will try something like that soon.. will need your advice then.. esp the choice of plants

For you? What else? A Tillandsia wall lor. Benetay didn't poison you enough? :D/>

Some quick and dirty shots of the plants. Please pardon the sharpness and the random pics size.
Lace fern as fillers. Propagated from 1 pot. These are so easy, looks nice and stays compact (unlike the other variety of Boston ferns). Why people don't grow more of them?
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v448/ckyeo/_MG_2519.jpg

I tried to grow more of Fittonia, but they don't grow as fast or lush as I want them to be.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v448/ckyeo/_MG_2522.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v448/ckyeo/_MG_2491.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v448/ckyeo/_MG_2490.jpg

First Episcia that I bought...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v448/ckyeo/_MG_2525.jpg

Sedum used to be doing very well till I treated them for mealy bugs. Not so pest resistant as claimed. They will be going back on the wall once I manage to revive them. Love the contrasting colours with the rest of the plants.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v448/ckyeo/_MG_2497.jpg

More pics of the plants and the rest of the wall to come....

ck

#18 User is offline   sunbird 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Gardening, Shopping, Cooking, Reading

Posted 23 March 2010 - 08:56 PM

Very nice :wub:/>

#19 User is offline   benetay 

• Associate Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Associate Member

Posted 24 March 2010 - 03:26 PM

CK Yeo, didn't know you not only have green fingers in the aquatic world but also in gardening as well.

Simply gorgeous!

I think tilly is more like an acquired taste kind of plant. Just like apisto, plecos, killie.

How high is the maintenance?

Cheers!

#20 User is offline   CK Yeo 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 24 March 2010 - 04:04 PM

View Postsunbird, on 23 March 2010 - 08:56 PM, said:

Very nice :wub:/>

View Postbenetay, on 24 March 2010 - 03:26 PM, said:

CK Yeo, didn't know you not only have green fingers in the aquatic world but also in gardening as well.

Simply gorgeous!

I think tilly is more like an acquired taste kind of plant. Just like apisto, plecos, killie.

How high is the maintenance?

Cheers!

Thanks. I hope it inspires more people to green up our boring flats and that it is not difficult or expensive.

Once everything is in place and you are done with rearranging things, maintenance is only daily watering which takes less than 30 secs I suppose. The water from the top pots will drip into the lower pots so that saves a bit of water too. I am using those cheapo slow release fertilizers so no fertilizing for months. If you start off with clean plants, then I suppose there is no need for pesticides too. The coleus needs to be trimmed monthly or they will get unruly or too tall. Good space fillers though.

FYI, you almost poisoned me back to Tillandsia actually... but Tillandsia wall take a while to fill up, not to mention it will be a bit ex too...

ck

Share this topic:

• 5 Pages +
  • Last »

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users