http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y152/Matthew1381/My%20Cacti%20Garden/PC5.jpg

#2 User is offline   wilson 

• Founder
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Root Admin
  • Interests:Back to edibles...

Posted 04 November 2005 - 01:31 PM

Hi Matthew,

Very magnificant blooms! U really have a way with cacti!

Btw just wanna know whether the Easter cactus shown in the last pic is growable in Singapore? I keep getting a problem last time where the stems keep falling off, one by one!

wilson

#3 User is offline   matthew1381 

• Cacti Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Cacti & Succulents,Roses,
    Vegetables & Fruits

Posted 04 November 2005 - 11:39 PM

Thanks Wilson

Re Hatiora Gaertneri - Easter Cactus

Think should be able to grow in Singapore. The stems drop off because of it having too much water, - its a very difficult plant to judge how much water, - too little causes same effect too !! Also needs light shade not in direct sun.

Rgds
Matthew

#4 User is offline   wilson 

• Founder
  • PipPipPip

Posted 04 November 2005 - 11:47 PM

Thanks Matthew,

But the Easter Cactus is a really nice plant. It comes to Singapore during the festive season. The red flower buds look like candle flames!

What is the ideal condition for it to bud and flower?

Wilson

#5 User is offline   boonboon 

• Associate Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators
  • Interests:Roses, Orchids, Cacti and Succulents, Gesneriads, Fragrant Plants etc

Posted 05 November 2005 - 01:33 AM

Easter cactus has always been my favourite but no matter what I do, the plant just drops its stems one by one and the main one will just turn yellow and wilt. I guess it is the warm weather here.

#6 User is offline   matthew1381 

• Cacti Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Cacti & Succulents,Roses,
    Vegetables & Fruits

Posted 05 November 2005 - 08:00 AM

I guess you are right there -

Soil (normal cactus mix) watering (little) location (under shade) can be duplicated but perhaps not the cold tinge it needs over winter for the plant to rest ( what most cacti need - a period of dry but cold dormancy) and then bud in early spring.
Although the plant originates from Brazil, think it survives up in the mountains there...dont think bukit timah hill can quite match that...

But at end of day no worries mate, as they say here in Oz, you got quite a lot of beautiful flowering plants like dendrobium orchids that we can't grow here either !

Rgds
Matthew

#7 User is offline   Tanya 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 05 November 2005 - 12:03 PM

Wilson,

You should be able to grow this plant. It can survive hot weather, I have one growing on the roof among my orchids and believe me, temperature there reach about 40C in summer sometimes. My plant has been with me for 5 years now. But Matthew is right, it wont bloom without cold dry period.

You could try grafting it in rooted stock (stem) of Dragon Fruit plant (forgot the proper name, sorry) I tried it once and it worked :grin: . I got tired of cutting off the offshoots of the root stock though, neglected it and it got overgrown so I chucked it in the bin. But if you have the time and patience, it looks nice, Easter cactus in a tall and elegant stem.......

#8 User is offline   ladybird 

• Associate Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Associate Member
  • Interests:plants, music, movies

Posted 05 November 2005 - 12:39 PM

Wow! Great growing, Matthew! I have some Easter cactus...yet to see them in bloom. In fact I had 2 pots with buds recently but they dropped off after a while. I wonder if they can be grown successfully in aircon room?

Tanya~ how do you graft a cactus onto the stock?

#9 User is offline   wilson 

• Founder
  • PipPipPip

Posted 05 November 2005 - 03:08 PM

Tanya,

What does grafting do to the Easter Cactus? Does it make it bloom without a cold spell? I want to do that magic!

#10 User is offline   Tanya 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 06 November 2005 - 11:58 AM

Wilson,
I really have no idea if the grafting will make the cactus bloom without cold spell. I never tried the grafting method in Philippines. But I think you can provide the cold spell with the help of an a/c room.

Mona,
First thing to do is to get your stock rooted. You can do this by planting a cutting (whole section if you want) in a pot and let it root and grow fat. You will have to keep an eye on it and rub off any offshoot that will grow. I think some people "kill" the "eyes" of the root stock.

You need a clean and sharp cutter to cut a slit on your stock. Make the slit at an angle.

Using the cutter, peel the skin (both sides)off the bottom part of the cactus. Insert it to the slit you made.

Secure your graft with a needle. I used the needles of one of my cactus, they are big and sharp :grin: .

Dust the graft, specially where the stock and cactus joined with a powder fungicide. Some people use sulfur, I used Daconyl.

You can graft as many cactus stem as you wish around the stem of the stock. You can continue normal care for the stock but keep the grafted part dry until the wound is completely healed. It is best to keep the plant in a dry location away from direct sunlight until the graft is fully stablished.

The biggest problem is rot, so it is best to work in a clean and tidy work area when doing your graft. I clean all the tools I use, including the stem of the stock(yes, the stock) and the cactus needle with a cotton ball wet with alcohol.

I hope this helps Mona, sorry I couldn't do a step by step in diagram. You see, I couldn't even draw a straight line to save my life :grin: .

#11 User is offline   ladybird 

• Associate Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Associate Member
  • Interests:plants, music, movies

Posted 06 November 2005 - 04:40 PM

Thanks Tanya! Will give it a try one day :flowers:/>

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users