• 2 Pages +

Trapa bicornis - Horned water chestnut

#21 User is offline   BMB Albert 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 06 January 2010 - 03:16 PM

View PostSkechid, on Jan 5 2010, 03:18 PM, said:

Ok. Now I'm confused... so what I am going to do, get one or two of these fruits from the market.. (They are usually brown?) and leave them in water and the sun for a few weeks and they'll sprout and I can immediately transfer them to my pond without media and let them float along?

Is that alright?

Hello Skechid,

You are confused?? Now I do not know where you can buy this chestnut. Every year these nuts were sold during our chinese eight months.
OK, say you already bought the nuts - put them in a transparent container and leave them facing the afternoon, once it rooted you could transfer into your pond.
With media and let the plant float along.....

#22 User is offline   BMB Albert 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 06 January 2010 - 03:20 PM

View Postfunkychips, on Jan 6 2010, 01:09 AM, said:

Hi Albert, I have seen the flowers, they are white and four petaled, single and small that's why you probably must have missed them. They are annuals but can grow new plants by offsets or by the fruit itself. I have not tried propagating by fruit but the offsets the plants produce will be enough to have new plants year round.

Wah! thanks for your info. Well, I really have missed see the tiny white flower... can try to see it the next time they flower again... Ok, since it could keep growing new shoots/ plants I will continue to grow them.... good tips.....

#23 User is offline   Skechid 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Anything that's easy to grow and doesn't require CRAZY amounts of sun, water, care and can take a lil neglect. *ahem*

Posted 06 January 2010 - 03:59 PM

Thanks Albert, but my question was really whether or not they require media. Because I want a completely floating plant. Not one in media.

Secondly, whether or not this plant would drop its leaves very often and thus mess up my pond? Your first photo shows alot of dead leaves floating about... which is kinda worrying for me, because I want to grow it in a relatively large pond, so if it floats away and starts dropping leaves like crazy... well... not a happy thing. Hahaha.

Thanks so much.

#24 User is offline   BMB Albert 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 06 January 2010 - 07:31 PM

View PostSkechid, on Jan 6 2010, 03:59 PM, said:

Thanks Albert, but my question was really whether or not they require media. Because I want a completely floating plant. Not one in media.

Secondly, whether or not this plant would drop its leaves very often and thus mess up my pond? Your first photo shows alot of dead leaves floating about... which is kinda worrying for me, because I want to grow it in a relatively large pond, so if it floats away and starts dropping leaves like crazy... well... not a happy thing. Hahaha.

Thanks so much.

Hi Skechid,

I have grown mine in pails and without any media. The growing plant floats but their thin stems with growing roots is in submerge in the water. This plant do drops their leaves, however, I did not throw them away often....allowing them to decompose ......

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users