GCS Forum: Hey anyone tried fertilizing your plants with xxx...? - GCS Forum

Jump to content

  • 5 Pages +
  • « First
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

Hey anyone tried fertilizing your plants with xxx...?

#61 User is offline   judetan 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 112
  • Joined: 11-February 10
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Upp Thomson
  • Interests:Hash house running, gardening, golfing, reading, movies, wine, cooking

Posted 11 March 2010 - 11:48 AM

Did a little google research on this. Essentially MSG produces free glutamate (or glutamic acids) which enhance plant growth. Since glutamic acids are found also in high concentrations in seaweed - "Although traditional Asian cuisine had often used seaweed extract, which contains high concentrations of glutamic acid, it was not until 1907 that MSG was isolated by Kikunae Ikeda" - guess this is a more "refined" version of using seaweed-based fertilizers. :)/>

In fact, there is a glutamate based fertilizer called Auxigro - AuxiGro WP (EPA File Symbol 70810-R) containing the two new active ingredients "GABA" and "Glutamic Acid" (PC Codes 30802 and 374350, respectively) for use as a growth enhancer for certain food crops and ornamentals. "AuxiGro, the first GABA technology-based product, was test marketed in 1998 and has been in commercial use since 1999. Use of AuxiGro at the proper timing results in enhanced flowering, increased fruit size, greater yields (typically 10-30%), improved quality characteristics (e.g., increased sugar content) and disease suppression."

There are still concerns whether or not there is significant absorption rates of glutamic acids into plants, altough there was one article that claimed some people who are sensitive to MSG have experienced like effects when consuming Russet Burbank potatoes which had been fertilized with such products. Some effects of MSG: http://www.msgfacts.net/ :(/>

As a side note, "In its pure form, it appears as a white crystalline powder which rapidly dissociates into sodium cations and glutamate anions on contact with water (glutamate is the anionic form of glutamic acid)." - so not sure if long term effect also includes too much sodium in the ground.

Hope above helps - having said that, am gonna try the stuff on some of my flowering plants in any case. :)/>

This post has been edited by judetan: 11 March 2010 - 11:51 AM

0

#62 User is offline   petunialee 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1834
  • Joined: 02-September 08

Posted 11 March 2010 - 12:54 PM

Gee... thanks JudeTan! Good sharing man!

View Postjudetan, on 11 March 2010 - 11:48 AM, said:

Did a little google research on this. Essentially MSG produces free glutamate (or glutamic acids) which enhance plant growth. Since glutamic acids are found also in high concentrations in seaweed - "Although traditional Asian cuisine had often used seaweed extract, which contains high concentrations of glutamic acid, it was not until 1907 that MSG was isolated by Kikunae Ikeda" - guess this is a more "refined" version of using seaweed-based fertilizers. :)/>

In fact, there is a glutamate based fertilizer called Auxigro - AuxiGro WP (EPA File Symbol 70810-R) containing the two new active ingredients "GABA" and "Glutamic Acid" (PC Codes 30802 and 374350, respectively) for use as a growth enhancer for certain food crops and ornamentals. "AuxiGro, the first GABA technology-based product, was test marketed in 1998 and has been in commercial use since 1999. Use of AuxiGro at the proper timing results in enhanced flowering, increased fruit size, greater yields (typically 10-30%), improved quality characteristics (e.g., increased sugar content) and disease suppression."

There are still concerns whether or not there is significant absorption rates of glutamic acids into plants, altough there was one article that claimed some people who are sensitive to MSG have experienced like effects when consuming Russet Burbank potatoes which had been fertilized with such products. Some effects of MSG: http://www.msgfacts.net/ :(/>

As a side note, "In its pure form, it appears as a white crystalline powder which rapidly dissociates into sodium cations and glutamate anions on contact with water (glutamate is the anionic form of glutamic acid)." - so not sure if long term effect also includes too much sodium in the ground.

Hope above helps - having said that, am gonna try the stuff on some of my flowering plants in any case. :)/>

0

#63 User is offline   kiddyduck 

  • Advance Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 585
  • Joined: 14-March 07
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Singapore
  • Interests:Carnivorous Plants, Orchids

Posted 11 March 2010 - 01:10 PM

Yeah, I read about the Auxigro fertilizer...
However I refrained discussing it over here when I am not a expert in this field....
I don't want to be responsible for any mishaps from your plants if I misinterpret these very technical information... Haha!

Anyone had updated pictures to show? It seems to be working well for me in many of my plants.
0

#64 User is offline   judetan 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 112
  • Joined: 11-February 10
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Upp Thomson
  • Interests:Hash house running, gardening, golfing, reading, movies, wine, cooking

Posted 12 March 2010 - 02:43 PM

View Postkiddyduck, on 11 March 2010 - 01:10 PM, said:

Yeah, I read about the Auxigro fertilizer...
However I refrained discussing it over here when I am not a expert in this field....
I don't want to be responsible for any mishaps from your plants if I misinterpret these very technical information... Haha!

Anyone had updated pictures to show? It seems to be working well for me in many of my plants.


Hi kiddyduck, oh dear, I hope I didn't cross any OB markers in my googling on the subject above. I just sourced public info via wiki and several other websites and tried to keep the tone neutral, as some of the sites were very opiniated wrt the use of glutamates in commercial food production (ie dead against). Definitely am not recommending for or against any commercial products. :)/>

Also realized my last line might be misleading - when I wrote "try the stuff", I meant to try MSG as a fertilizer... :blush:/>

This post has been edited by judetan: 12 March 2010 - 02:47 PM

0

#65 User is offline   explore 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 172
  • Joined: 14-December 09

Posted 12 March 2010 - 02:58 PM

View Postkiddyduck, on 11 March 2010 - 01:10 PM, said:

Yeah, I read about the Auxigro fertilizer...
However I refrained discussing it over here when I am not a expert in this field....
I don't want to be responsible for any mishaps from your plants if I misinterpret these very technical information... Haha!

Anyone had updated pictures to show? It seems to be working well for me in many of my plants.


Hey Kiddyduck,
Im indeed impressed by the progress of your experiments.
Sad to say i did try couple of times only on my alocasia (still a very juvenile n quite leaf-less small plant) early last mth but my patience couldnt pull me thru to continue since i hardly notice any results :(/> The plant seemed to remain with just that one or two small leaves n somehow withered away fast b4 new leaves emerge. Tho i knw the plant is still alive n ok, i find it pretty demoralising so i kinda "gave up" w the test. The plant is still "existing" now...as usual, w hardly any progress of thriving growth. hhhmm...still finding ways how to spur its growth NOTICEABLY in shortest time ;)/> dont really dare to feed it too mch with other kinda ferts coz afraid may kill it..
After seeing ur results, im contemplating to start this MSG thing agn...hhmm...basically a'thing that'll spur the plants growth noticeably in shortest time. :rolleyes:/>
0

#66 User is offline   kiddyduck 

  • Advance Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 585
  • Joined: 14-March 07
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Singapore
  • Interests:Carnivorous Plants, Orchids

Posted 12 March 2010 - 05:29 PM

View Postexplore, on 12 March 2010 - 02:58 PM, said:

Hey Kiddyduck,
Im indeed impressed by the progress of your experiments.
Sad to say i did try couple of times only on my alocasia (still a very juvenile n quite leaf-less small plant) early last mth but my patience couldnt pull me thru to continue since i hardly notice any results :(/> The plant seemed to remain with just that one or two small leaves n somehow withered away fast b4 new leaves emerge. Tho i knw the plant is still alive n ok, i find it pretty demoralising so i kinda "gave up" w the test. The plant is still "existing" now...as usual, w hardly any progress of thriving growth. hhhmm...still finding ways how to spur its growth NOTICEABLY in shortest time ;)/> dont really dare to feed it too mch with other kinda ferts coz afraid may kill it..
After seeing ur results, im contemplating to start this MSG thing agn...hhmm...basically a'thing that'll spur the plants growth noticeably in shortest time. :rolleyes:/>



I dont know whether Alocasia will do well with MSG... My neighbour told me it is more benficial for flowering plants.. maybe thats why your plant show no effect.... Maybe you can try some other plants then....
0

#67 User is offline   explore 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 172
  • Joined: 14-December 09

Posted 12 March 2010 - 06:37 PM

View Postkiddyduck, on 12 March 2010 - 05:29 PM, said:

I dont know whether Alocasia will do well with MSG... My neighbour told me it is more benficial for flowering plants.. maybe thats why your plant show no effect.... Maybe you can try some other plants then....



hhmmm...maybe,perhaps...but i supposed my experiments were also too short a time for me to see any results...but then agn, i think i hv other plants which do show some noticeable effect (good or bad, is anor thing la :P/> ) within few days after i fert them....anyway, c how...maybe i might just "persevere" abit n continue to test on the alocasia ;)/>
btw, im more into leafy indoor plants...come to think of it, i hv anor pot of the same alocasia which flower more than sprouting leaves....gggrrrr...
0

#68 User is offline   ChroniclesofChaos 

  • Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 9
  • Joined: 18-March 10
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Singapore
  • Interests:Travelling during Winter, Reading and lately, for some strange reason... Gardening. This coming from a person who is petrified of worms is quite ironic =P

Posted 20 March 2010 - 06:06 PM

View Postkiddyduck, on 12 March 2010 - 05:29 PM, said:

I dont know whether Alocasia will do well with MSG... My neighbour told me it is more benficial for flowering plants.. maybe thats why your plant show no effect.... Maybe you can try some other plants then....



Heyas All!

Wanted to check if anyone has tried this with a grown pomegranate plant?

Mom has been faithfully watering her pomegranate twice a day, for the past 10 yrs. It used to flower when it was first bought but for 10 years, it just exists. This potted 1.6m tall plant has lush green leaves, sits in the corridor with no direct sun but has no flower nor fruit (rhetorical there since no flowers = no fruit).

I wonder if I should start the 1 tsp MSG a week to see if I can encourage it along?

Pls do advise if this is ok before I kill the plant.
As you can guess, kill the plant, mom kills me and I am not ready to meet my maker just yet =P.

Thanks for any advice!

This post has been edited by ChroniclesofChaos: 20 March 2010 - 06:09 PM

0

#69 User is offline   petunialee 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1834
  • Joined: 02-September 08

Posted 20 March 2010 - 07:05 PM

I think that Kiddyduck said somewhere above to experiment with a non-precious plant? Your pomegranate sounds precious.

You might wanna try giving your plant higher amounts of phosphorus, calcium and potassium instead of just high nitrogen for leaf growth. Also, fruiting plants need a lotta sun.

View PostChroniclesofChaos, on 20 March 2010 - 06:06 PM, said:

Heyas All!

Wanted to check if anyone has tried this with a grown pomegranate plant?

Mom has been faithfully watering her pomegranate twice a day, for the past 10 yrs. It used to flower when it was first bought but for 10 years, it just exists. This potted 1.6m tall plant has lush green leaves, sits in the corridor with no direct sun but has no flower nor fruit (rhetorical there since no flowers = no fruit).

I wonder if I should start the 1 tsp MSG a week to see if I can encourage it along?

Pls do advise if this is ok before I kill the plant.
As you can guess, kill the plant, mom kills me and I am not ready to meet my maker just yet =P.

Thanks for any advice!

0

#70 User is offline   ChroniclesofChaos 

  • Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 9
  • Joined: 18-March 10
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Singapore
  • Interests:Travelling during Winter, Reading and lately, for some strange reason... Gardening. This coming from a person who is petrified of worms is quite ironic =P

Posted 20 March 2010 - 07:13 PM

View Postpetunialee, on 20 March 2010 - 07:05 PM, said:

I think that Kiddyduck said somewhere above to experiment with a non-precious plant? Your pomegranate sounds precious.

You might wanna try giving your plant higher amounts of phosphorus, calcium and potassium instead of just high nitrogen for leaf growth. Also, fruiting plants need a lotta sun.



Heyas Petunialee

Thanks for the revert.
Yea it's not so precious to me but as for mom... ahem. =P
I just hate to think of her wasting so much time on something that doesn't look aesthetically pretty nor serve purpose in providing fruits.

Ok... qns from a newbie for the pomegranate.
1) Am I able to get phosphorus, calcium and potassium in one handy small & inexpensive pack?
2) And any tips on where?
3) Is it ok to just spray seaweed on the plant?
4) What about those little fert grains for vegetables? (I'm trying to grow a salad box so I got all these stuff recently)

Thanks again!
0

#71 User is offline   ButterflyPea 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 420
  • Joined: 07-June 09
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Hillview

Posted 24 March 2010 - 01:39 PM

Dear all,

Sorry for the late update!
And sorry again as I did not faithfully fert my Stapelia with MSG, only occasionally :hitmyself:/>
And I had wanted to use one as a control, but in the end, I got mixed up, so end up ferting both with MSG! :hitmyself:/>
BUT! Results has been quite encouraging, as the stapelias are growing very well (I think), although they are still not flowering! :ranting2:/>


Picture taken early Jan '10
http://i579.photobucket.com/albums/ss236/yokilam/cactus.jpg

Picture taken this morning 24/03/10
http://i579.photobucket.com/albums/ss236/yokilam/stapeliaafricanstarfish24032010.jpg
0

#72 User is offline   bargainhunter 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 948
  • Joined: 26-September 09
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Singapore

Posted 27 March 2010 - 05:25 PM

I was so inspired that I went around putting MSG everywhere. The Adenium responded very well - and grew new leaves. However, my little flower and fruit-veg seedlings wilted. I can't understand. Maybe I used MSG too soon -before it was ready.

When after srpouting from seed, can I use MSG?

Anyway, I would also like to know besides Adenium, which other of my plants I can use MSG on:
Zinnia? Jasmine? Tibouchina? Sunflower? Begonia? Fuschia? Episcia? Balsam?

This post has been edited by bargainhunter: 27 March 2010 - 05:25 PM

0

#73 User is offline   petunialee 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1834
  • Joined: 02-September 08

Posted 27 March 2010 - 08:54 PM

Generally, people refrain from fertilising seedlings. Their root systems are undeveloped and fertiliser can do something to the poor seedlings. Dun ask me what or how. I dunno. I just know that when is baby, you give adult food, baby die.

This said, I quite like your style... Is like my style. Whenever someone on GCS inspires me I go around dispensing goodies to my plants like the God of Fortune.

Sometimes, my idea of goodies is not my plants' idea of goodies and the promptly flop over and die. Happen so many times already.

View Postbargainhunter, on 27 March 2010 - 05:25 PM, said:

I was so inspired that I went around putting MSG everywhere. The Adenium responded very well - and grew new leaves. However, my little flower and fruit-veg seedlings wilted. I can't understand. Maybe I used MSG too soon -before it was ready.

When after srpouting from seed, can I use MSG?

Anyway, I would also like to know besides Adenium, which other of my plants I can use MSG on:
Zinnia? Jasmine? Tibouchina? Sunflower? Begonia? Fuschia? Episcia? Balsam?

This post has been edited by petunialee: 27 March 2010 - 08:57 PM

0

#74 User is offline   bargainhunter 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 948
  • Joined: 26-September 09
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Singapore

Posted 27 March 2010 - 09:22 PM

View Postpetunialee, on 27 March 2010 - 08:54 PM, said:

Generally, people refrain from fertilising seedlings. Their root systems are undeveloped and fertiliser can do something to the poor seedlings. Dun ask me what or how. I dunno. I just know that when is baby, you give adult food, baby die.

This said, I quite like your style... Is like my style. Whenever someone on GCS inspires me I go around dispensing goodies to my plants like the God of Fortune.

Sometimes, my idea of goodies is not my plants' idea of goodies and the promptly flop over and die. Happen so many times already.


Hahahaha. Quite funny the way you say it...
Ya. now I think about it, 4 leaves do not an adult plant make. Too anxious and eager to accelerate growth. My mother will definitely agree with you - my idea of goodies also not her idea of goodies, esp if MSG. She VERY VERY anti-MSG for human consumption and therefore, transfer her objections to my plants in her garden.

I will learn from this. I guess Kiddyduck's pomegranate seedlings were older than my seedlings...
0

#75 User is offline   ButterflyPea 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 420
  • Joined: 07-June 09
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Hillview

Posted 28 March 2010 - 03:17 PM

hmm .. personally, i wouldn't apply MSG on edible plants. since we will be consuming the veg or fruits later, it's like we are indirectly consuming the MSG
0

#76 User is offline   judetan 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 112
  • Joined: 11-February 10
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Upp Thomson
  • Interests:Hash house running, gardening, golfing, reading, movies, wine, cooking

Posted 28 March 2010 - 11:07 PM

I made a diluted MSG spray using a few pinches of MSG to a large misting bottle and used it to condition my shallow sowing bed for seeds to germinate. Used it for 1 application and it didn't seem to hurt. Perhaps better stop there. :unsure:/>
0

#77 User is offline   kiddyduck 

  • Advance Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 585
  • Joined: 14-March 07
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Singapore
  • Interests:Carnivorous Plants, Orchids

Posted 28 March 2010 - 11:17 PM

yes.. seedlings may have weak root system and it is not really beneficial to introduce excessive, un-natural chemicals into the potting media... My seedlings some how survived the ordeal as I applied MSG when they are just a week's old... It can be the larger size of the pot which buffers the amount of MSG.

However, my plants are reacting well to the MSG treatment, more leaves and growth... I had also snipped off a few seedlings from both MSG'ed and control pots to encourage branching... guess what? MSGed seedlings developed branches much faster than the others!
0

#78 User is offline   Chawanmushi 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 2116
  • Joined: 11-February 06
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Hougang
  • Interests:Trying to get green things to grow at Chawan's Landing!

Posted 07 April 2010 - 10:41 PM

After reading this entire thread .... I bought myself a packet of msg and I'm gonna try it on my Marigold seedlings.
0

#79 User is offline   petunialee 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1834
  • Joined: 02-September 08

Posted 15 April 2010 - 02:55 PM

I went and did that too. Popped 3 tablespoons in 100l of water and the whole garden has been msg-ed. Including some precious herb seedlings and the lemon verbena.

View PostChawanmushi, on 07 April 2010 - 10:41 PM, said:

After reading this entire thread .... I bought myself a packet of msg and I'm gonna try it on my Marigold seedlings.

0

#80 User is offline   ChroniclesofChaos 

  • Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 9
  • Joined: 18-March 10
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Singapore
  • Interests:Travelling during Winter, Reading and lately, for some strange reason... Gardening. This coming from a person who is petrified of worms is quite ironic =P

Posted 15 April 2010 - 03:05 PM

Ooh! Seedlings with MSG!
Could you please update me on the progress of the seedlings seeing as it's my nemesis?
(Mine was Horti Soil-less Potting Mix, Seedweed dilution = Plant Murderer)

Thanks!

View Postpetunialee, on 15 April 2010 - 02:55 PM, said:

I went and did that too. Popped 3 tablespoons in 100l of water and the whole garden has been msg-ed. Including some precious herb seedlings and the lemon verbena.

0

Share this topic:


  • 5 Pages +
  • « First
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users