GCS Forum: Need Termite Protection? - GCS Forum

Page 1 of 1

Need Termite Protection?

#1 User is offline   petunialee 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 04 December 2009 - 11:56 PM

Everyone I know who has ever renovated an old landed property has advised me not to save money on termite protection. However, my architect insists that termite protection is useless because termites can fly in from a neighbour or from the patch of jungle down the road.

I am confused. I certainly don't want to miss out on a procedure that'll prevent headaches for the rest of my life... but then, what of the architect's advice?

Would people be kind enough to share their experience with termite protection (or lack thereof) please?

#2 User is offline   bluegazebo 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 05 December 2009 - 02:31 PM

View Postpetunialee, on Dec 4 2009, 11:56 PM, said:

Everyone I know who has ever renovated an old landed property has advised me not to save money on termite protection. However, my architect insists that termite protection is useless because termites can fly in from a neighbour or from the patch of jungle down the road.

I am confused. I certainly don't want to miss out on a procedure that'll prevent headaches for the rest of my life... but then, what of the architect's advice?

Would people be kind enough to share their experience with termite protection (or lack thereof) please?

hi petunialee,
my termite experience as follows:
the house came w 10 yr termite treatment contract - inspection once a yr.
nothing happened - some yrs i even forgot to call the pest control company.
after that, furniture started getting eaten up and piles of "sawdust" started appearing.
had to throw away 1 chair in patio, 1 display cabinet in living room (next to patio), 1 toilet door.
coffee table (living room) n book case (study) also attacked.
friends told me culprit cld be woodworms, not termites coz of the sawdust piles.
next, a chest of drawers in upstairs bedroom joined in the lunch queue.
used baygon (w narrow tube nozzle) to drown the enemy inside those catacombs
refused to die.
i am abt to give up tho it is very distressing coz the chest is part of a set (bed, wardrobe, mirror, shelves...)
the importer has closed shop so i will be forced to buy a mismatching replacement.
but i figured the drawers (and the entire set) are almost 20 yrs old n already fully depreciated.
if i call in pest control, it wld be a few hundred bucks, no guarantee those pests wont return.

#3 User is offline   petunialee 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 05 December 2009 - 03:30 PM

View Postbluegazebo, on Dec 5 2009, 02:31 PM, said:

hi petunialee,
after that, furniture started getting eaten up and piles of "sawdust" started appearing.
had to throw away 1 chair in patio, 1 display cabinet in living room (next to patio), 1 toilet door.
friends told me culprit cld be woodworms, not termites coz of the sawdust piles.
refused to die.
i am abt to give up tho it is very distressing coz the chest is part of a set (bed, wardrobe, mirror, shelves...)
the importer has closed shop so i will be forced to buy a mismatching replacement.
but i figured the drawers (and the entire set) are almost 20 yrs old n already fully depreciated.
if i call in pest control, it wld be a few hundred bucks, no guarantee those pests wont return.

After how long did the termite infestation start?

#4 User is offline   spiritbloom 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 05 December 2009 - 04:19 PM

View Postpetunialee, on Dec 5 2009, 03:30 PM, said:

After how long did the termite infestation start?

My old propertyafter having been infested with termites ,hubby decided to call in the pros. It's a sort of insurance to protect your expensive property. No doubt these termites fly from out of nowhere but then you can be rest assured that you're protedcted. Sign a contract on a yearly basis . they check every 3 months.In between if you notoce these scavengers call them up and they wil be at your door step in no time without paying any extras.The whole house can be destroyed to rubble if you let it go untreated.. As they say some money cannot be saved. It's money well spent. In the beginning they like corrougated boxes Later they venture elsewhere.You can buy termite control powder from DIY very expensive. But if you're not thourough.they'll spread like wildfire. I was adviced not to spray baygon or other sprays. They don't die but will infest more places. These are actually those white flying insects that cluster your lighting and lamps during raining season.

#5 Guestktkt_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 05 December 2009 - 05:09 PM

'termite protection is useless because termites can fly in from a neighbour or from the patch of jungle down the road'

Er . . . isn't that like saying we shouldn't eat because we'll get hungry again? Or don't bother dusting cause more dust will fly into the house. Sorry if I sound rude. :closedeyes:/>

#6 User is offline   petunialee 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 05 December 2009 - 06:37 PM

View Postktkt, on Dec 5 2009, 05:09 PM, said:

'termite protection is useless because termites can fly in from a neighbour or from the patch of jungle down the road'

Er . . . isn't that like saying we shouldn't eat because we'll get hungry again? Or don't bother dusting cause more dust will fly into the house. Sorry if I sound rude. :closedeyes:/>

No dear... not rude. Just exasperated that a bona fide architect can advise like this. After getting feedback from more friends and of course, looking at this thread, I think I had better change an architect.

#7 User is offline   digitalgate 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 05 December 2009 - 07:36 PM

baygon is useless again termite, my shade is made of wood and it is Outdoor. That is the worst combination. So i have to spend money on mycoforce and C10 to keep termite at bay. This money how to save? Without pest control termite sure to come. Plus this guy dont know what he talking about, probably never had termite problem. They are difficult to eradicate but pest contol know how to look for them and I dont know. spent the money la!

#8 User is offline   Abby Lim 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:All plants, Bonsai & cooking

Posted 05 December 2009 - 07:48 PM

View Postdigitalgate, on Dec 5 2009, 07:36 PM, said:

baygon is useless again termite, my shade is made of wood and it is Outdoor. That is the worst combination. So i have to spend money on mycoforce and C10 to keep termite at bay. This money how to save? Without pest control termite sure to come. Plus this guy dont know what he talking about, probably never had termite problem. They are difficult to eradicate but pest contol know how to look for them and I dont know. spent the money la!

I am working in this property investment company for the last 30 years, all landed properties whenever there are going for renovation with the chance to replace the floor furnish, we will do a termite treatment for preventive measure as the contractor will come and drill hole deep on group and pump in chemical, they can't do a treatment work just on surface, those checking and spray on surface are form a kind of maintenance service, that even on high rise building like our penthouse on 33rd floor, we also insist the tenants who stay there have to undertake a contract as termite can fly and those furniture they bought in may come with termite.

#9 User is offline   greennature 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 05 December 2009 - 08:18 PM

View Postbluegazebo, on Dec 5 2009, 02:31 PM, said:

hi petunialee,
refused to die.

Some of my furniture also has woodworms. According to the pest control people, these are different from termites as they only eat wood. Out of my three infested furniture, they only managed to successfully kill the woodworms in one item. For the other items, I had to replace the furniture as it was too badly damaged.

Many of the houses in my neighbourhood have a termite problem. Thankfully I have not had any but I engage the pest control people to conduct regular checks so that any infestation is treated early. I don't think we can prevent termites from flying into our houses but if the house is treated, perhaps the chemicals will discourage them from setting up nests.

#10 User is offline   elwingo 

• Advance Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 05 December 2009 - 10:30 PM

hi petunia..this is my experience. we had a severe termite attack a few years ago when my neighbour tore down his house and built a condo. the termite ppl who came told us, big soil movt will make termites move house. and unfortunately, my house being next to the construction site was the house the termites moved into.. so these termite ppl drilled holes about half a metre from the house and pumped some chemicals in like what abby said. there's a 5 year warranty and if u want the name of these ppl i can pm it to u. after that, we were termite free. i'm thinking if yr house is detached, then u can go round the perimeter of your house with these holes. but if it isn't will it be pointless to drill holes on your side but leave your neighbours' side untreated?

also, during that period, our roofs were a bit leaky so humidity also IMO made the situation worse. so during your renovation, make sure your plumber do a thorough check.

i also heard that some areas in sg are v prone to termite attacks.

hope this is helpful

#11 User is offline   petunialee 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 06 December 2009 - 10:56 AM

DigitalGate - Thanks!

Abby - You guys are pros in managing properties so you really should know what it's all about. Thanks for sharing your pro experience.

Greennature - Yeah... I get it now. I think I will treat the house for substructure termite nests AND take up a contract for quarterly inspections.

Elwingo - Yes, I would very much appreciate having your contact. However, a couple of friends told me that the normal warranty is 10 years, no?

#12 User is offline   mm 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 06 December 2009 - 11:49 PM

View Postpetunialee, on Dec 6 2009, 10:56 AM, said:

However, a couple of friends told me that the normal warranty is 10 years, no?

If I recall correctly, it's 10yrs for pre-construction soil treatment, and 5 yrs for post-construction treatments. Or it might be 5yrs for pre-construction as well, actually. But I do know that the type of chemicals used are now not at "strong", due to restrictions by the authorities, hence the reduction in the wtty.

There are several approaches to defence against termites. The soil treatment mentioned is just one - and that provides a chemical barrier. This is probably the most commonly used.

There is also another company, Termimesh, which uses a physical barrier - in the form of a fine metal mesh fused to the base and perimeter of the building - that prevents the entry of foraging worker termites. I think this is especially useful if you're rebuilding from scratch. It'll be harder to do with A-and-As - but they would be the better people to advise.

Yet another method uses the bait-and-swtich. It used to be only offered by Dow Chemicals - under the Sentricon brand, but there a local company that does something similar as well. This approach uses bait stations distributed at regular intervals (1 - 2 m) around the perimeter of the house. The principle is that foraging workers will be attracted to these stations. Upon detection, through regular inspections, the baits are then replaced with chemically laced ones, which the workers will bring back to the nest to slowly kill off the colony.

In the end, you'll have to decide which fits your requirements and budgets best. But don't stinge on this one. Hope this helps.

#13 User is offline   petunialee 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 07 December 2009 - 06:24 AM

View Postmm, on Dec 6 2009, 11:49 PM, said:

If I recall correctly, it's 10yrs for pre-construction soil treatment, and 5 yrs for post-construction treatments. Or it might be 5yrs for pre-construction as well, actually. But I do know that the type of chemicals used are now not at "strong", due to restrictions by the authorities, hence the reduction in the wtty.

There are several approaches to defence against termites. The soil treatment mentioned is just one - and that provides a chemical barrier. This is probably the most commonly used.

There is also another company, Termimesh, which uses a physical barrier - in the form of a fine metal mesh fused to the base and perimeter of the building - that prevents the entry of foraging worker termites. I think this is especially useful if you're rebuilding from scratch. It'll be harder to do with A-and-As - but they would be the better people to advise.

Yet another method uses the bait-and-swtich. It used to be only offered by Dow Chemicals - under the Sentricon brand, but there a local company that does something similar as well. This approach uses bait stations distributed at regular intervals (1 - 2 m) around the perimeter of the house. The principle is that foraging workers will be attracted to these stations. Upon detection, through regular inspections, the baits are then replaced with chemically laced ones, which the workers will bring back to the nest to slowly kill off the colony.

In the end, you'll have to decide which fits your requirements and budgets best. But don't stinge on this one. Hope this helps.

MM, thanks for the very detailed information. I've emailed Sentricon for the local distributor's contact. I like this solution best because it seems the most effective and environmentally safe. Pumping chemicals into the soil to form a chemical barrier means that they could be some gaps in the barrier... and when I googled, I did read that new regulations forbid the use of previously stronger chemicals. And if the warranty is 5 years, it means when has to drill and pump every 5 years. I might as well renovate the grounds with bait stations in mind and do regular checks.

I suppose I just have to be careful. It's good anyhow to know early that this is a problem I have to watch out for.

This is a great forum to be part of. Thank you all for your careful advice. :flowers:/>

This post has been edited by petunialee: 07 December 2009 - 06:29 AM

#14 User is offline   Properfool 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Landscaping<br />Photography<br />Orchids<br />

Posted 28 April 2010 - 03:34 PM

Slightly off topic, but can anyone contribute on what pest control companies to choose ?
I've used Rentokil on a regular checkup/inspection contract but they seem a bit cursory to me.

Anyone got good or bad experiences to share?

I'm thinking of taking up either a bait-switch or a non-repellent termicide solution.

This post has been edited by Properfool: 28 April 2010 - 03:34 PM

#15 User is offline   sunbird 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Gardening, Shopping, Cooking, Reading

Posted 03 May 2010 - 09:27 PM

My contractor quoted me $5k for termite control, I asked him if it is really necessary coz. the item was not budgeted for. He said good to have but some areas are more prone to termites than others. So far, he has not had problem with termite around my area. As such, I decided to take a risk and removed the item from his quotation.

Now my budget is already way over-blown by the marble, tiles, sanitary fittings etc. :o/>

#16 User is offline   pestcontrol01 

• Pip

Posted 07 April 2011 - 04:25 PM

Termites, sometimes called white ants, can cause damage over time to homes and buildings. Termites have been in existence since the time of the dinosaurs and eat non-stop for 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Termites are grouped according to their feeding behavior into subterranean, formosan, drywood, and dampwood. Among them, subterraneans and drywoods can cause huge damage to human-made structures.

Termites can seriously damage the structure of a house or building before you get so late call Eliminate’Em Pest Control Services, the only service that provides you the fast, professional, courteous service and licensed technicians handle all of your Pest Control, Wildlife and Inspection needs. Our termite treatment and control is safe and effective. Eliminate’Em Pest Control Services offers termite treatment, same-day services and free estimates. Professional technicians are available to you 24 hours a day and 7 days a week to get rid of those pesky ants, filthy rodents or remove that wildlife that is causing damage or creating a nuisance. We eliminate termites, permanently.

for more information please visit http://eliminateem.c...atment-control/

#17 User is offline   meaganspaddle 

• Pip

Posted 07 February 2013 - 06:44 PM

My landlord has sent me notice to remove all the termites of my room, actually when apartment was handed to me, at that time it was completely clean and there wasn't any sign of single ant. But now my apartment is full of bed bugs, ants, and other termites. I am more concern about my wood furniture. I have spread raccoon exterminator long island twice or thrice in a month but no use.

#18 User is offline   jack wills 

• Pip

Posted 31 March 2017 - 03:18 PM

View Postbluegazebo, on 05 December 2009 - 02:31 PM, said:

hi petunialee,
nothing happened - some yrs i even forgot to call the Best Termite treatment costs company.
refused to die.

Hello,

I'm also suffering from the same problem. I recently shifted to California, USA and bought a new house here. On first look, all things appeared okay but after a while, I realised that I was wrong, The shelf, wardrobe, furniture all were infected by termites. I called the inspection but the cost is so high because of the damage.

This post has been edited by jack wills: 04 April 2017 - 03:27 AM

#19 User is offline   albertchan659 

• Pip

Posted 21 June 2017 - 09:38 AM

my parquet flooring also suffered from termite infestation.... in the end i had no choice but to remove all the developers parquet...

#20 Guestalove_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 10 November 2017 - 01:48 PM

Hello,

I want termite protection for my home. Since last year in my home so many termites are everywhere, they damage my house furniture and also doors and windows so please suggest me.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users