GCS Forum: Gerbera in vitro - GCS Forum

Page 1 of 1

Gerbera in vitro

#1 User is offline   PHYTOGEMS 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 19 November 2009 - 03:10 PM

Hi!!!. I have gerbera seeds just bought online. As usual, I sow my gerbera seeds in the dirt (acidic soil, as instructed) and have it germinate longer for reasons I do not know. I plan this time to sow my gerbera seeds in sterile growing medium like I did in my orchid seeds. Anybody from this forum can react or sugsgest something before I do it.

#2 User is offline   princess 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 23 November 2009 - 06:14 PM

hi,

i saw that nobody has replied to your question and i happened to have grown gerbera from seeds.

i sowed my gerbera seeds on normal compost in a clear container to trap moisture.

when the seedling has produced like a few leaves and is strong, move it to a bigger pot (which i also use normal compost).

when you are moving the seedling, be careful not to break the main root.

here is my orange gerbera when it was a baby.
http://i74.servimg.com/u/f74/11/94/34/17/17610.jpg

here is when it was flowering.
http://i74.servimg.com/u/f74/11/94/34/17/17510.jpg

http://i74.servimg.com/u/f74/11/94/34/17/17710.jpg

:)/>

View PostPHYTOGEMS, on Nov 19 2009, 03:10 PM, said:

Hi!!!. I have gerbera seeds just bought online. As usual, I sow my gerbera seeds in the dirt (acidic soil, as instructed) and have it germinate longer for reasons I do not know. I plan this time to sow my gerbera seeds in sterile growing medium like I did in my orchid seeds. Anybody from this forum can react or sugsgest something before I do it.

This post has been edited by princess: 02 December 2009 - 04:14 PM

#3 User is offline   dxgn 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:gardening

Posted 23 November 2009 - 10:36 PM

Hi, where do you get those gebera seeds online? I understand that they are quite expensive right? Thanks.

Cheers,
Jet

View PostPHYTOGEMS, on Nov 19 2009, 03:10 PM, said:

#4 User is offline   princess 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 24 November 2009 - 08:33 PM

i forgot to attach the picture below showing them as seedlings.

you can see that some are producing the 3rd leaf which resemble that of an adult plant.

http://i84.servimg.com/u/f84/11/94/34/17/35510.jpg

#5 User is offline   PHYTOGEMS 

• Pip

Posted 27 November 2009 - 11:07 AM

View Postdxgn, on Nov 23 2009, 10:36 PM, said:

Hi, where do you get those gebera seeds online? I understand that they are quite expensive right? Thanks.

Cheers,
Jet

Jet,
I bought it from eBay auctions.

My regards... Phytogems

#6 User is offline   xhedrickx 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Registered Merchant
  • Interests:Cattleya orchids, herbs (Edible and naughty) and Earthworm culture

Posted 27 November 2009 - 04:02 PM

yes, you can culture Gerbera seeds in vitro so long as u know how to sterilize them properly. There isn't a big need to in vitro culture Gerbera as its pretty simple via normal soil. Unless u want to mass propagate this hybrid you have from these few seeds that u have.
The reason y orchids seeds are grown in-vitro is because these seeds do have the endosperm in their seed to germinate well in nature thus have to do it in the bottle.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users