Page 1 of 1

Basil stem turning brown

#1 User is offline   murcielago 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 21 October 2009 - 08:25 AM

Hi all,

I have 2 basil seedlings (which are actually quite big already) and I've just noticed today morning that for one of them, the stem has turned brown. The odd thing is that it doesn't feel squishy so I do not think it's rot. The texture of the stem feels somewhat dry and a lttile rough to touch as compard to my other basil seedling. For now the brown-ness has only reached the first node. Here are the pictures.

http://www.flickr.co...N07/4029970499/
http://www.flickr.co...N07/4029971791/

The leaves are all erect and look fine and part of the root system exposed cos of soil washed away due to watering looks healthy too. I'm kind of at loss. Hope someone can help me identify the problem? Overfertilising? Or is it already turning woody? :wacko:/>

Thanks for your attention!

#2 User is offline   Wisteria 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 21 October 2009 - 10:33 AM

The lower 5cm section of the stems of my sweet basil plants started turning woody when the plants were about 1.5 months old. At that time, my plants were already >30cm tall. My plants (grown from seeds) are 2 months old now & aerial roots have appeared.

Your seedlings still look very small. I don't fertilise my basil plants. Observe your plants closely for the next few days. If the leaves start wilting, it may be root rot.

#3 User is offline   murcielago 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 22 October 2009 - 09:50 PM

An update. The basil seedling still looks fine as ever, and completely normal. The browness hasn't spread and is still confined to below the first node.

I think the age of the seedling kind of explains it perhaps. Cos there was some time after I germinated them I could not provide sufficient light and their growth stagnated for quite some time. They are definitely >1.5 months old, that's for certain. So yea, it could be the age problem...

Thanks Wisteria!

#4 User is offline   Wisteria 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 23 October 2009 - 12:27 PM

Now that I know your plants are as old as mine, you better pot them up separately. The slow growth is due to both low light conditions & the plants being spaced too closely.

I potted up mine in individual small pots at 4-leaves stage. I re-potted them in 18cm diameter pots 2 weeks ago. The plants grow even faster after re-potting. I have cut off the top 10cm for rooting purpose.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users