GCS Forum: Can I grow different herbs in the same pot? - GCS Forum

Page 1 of 1

Can I grow different herbs in the same pot? New at gardening/growing herbs. Please help

#1 User is offline   eittus 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 20 October 2009 - 12:14 PM

Hi,

I have not grown anything in my life and am hoping to start now. I want to start by growing herbs. I was wondering if I can grow different herbs in the same pot?

I am considering growing curry tree, pandan and basil in the same pot. Is that possible? If not, please advise. I am hopeless at this.

In addition, where is a good place to buy like a starter kit - pots, soil, herbs, etc?

Sorry if i ask silly questions. Pardon me. I don't know where to start.

#2 User is offline   pebble 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:AV, Episcia, foliage plants, edibles

Posted 20 October 2009 - 12:41 PM

View Posteittus, on Oct 20 2009, 12:14 PM, said:

Hi,

I have not grown anything in my life and am hoping to start now. I want to start by growing herbs. I was wondering if I can grow different herbs in the same pot?

I am considering growing curry tree, pandan and basil in the same pot. Is that possible? If not, please advise. I am hopeless at this.

In addition, where is a good place to buy like a starter kit - pots, soil, herbs, etc?

Sorry if i ask silly questions. Pardon me. I don't know where to start.

The easiest to start is to go buy a plant from the nursery. I like Far East Flora and World Farm. They got good plant and accessories range. But any nursery should have a decent gardening stuff.

These plants that you named are best grown in a pot of its own. That's bec the curry leaf and pandan plant can be very large. Unless you are talking about a planter box or a very large pot. The curry leaf is actually a shrub, and with a big enough pot, it can be quite tall. Another question is to ask yourself what is the growing condition of the place you intend to grow the plants. Is it sunny? Shady? or in-between? Temperature? windy? Some plants needs special conditions to thrive.

I suggest you start with Pandan leaf (as this is very easy to grow). Curry leaf plant is easy to maintain, if you get from nursery. Basil is more delicate and needs a bit more technical skill.

Have fun!

#3 User is offline   eittus 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 20 October 2009 - 01:24 PM

Thanks Pebble!

I have been to far east floral and their pots are quite expensive. Hmmm However, i have never bought any pots before. Are the prices reasonable?

I just gotten my place and currently there is a curry tree in my garden and it is pretty big. I was thinking of cutting a stem and transfer to a pot. Is it ok to grow in a pot?

I have pretty strong afternoon sun. Am actually afraid that it is too hot for the plants. Hmm.

So, which herbs can grow together? I am thinking of eventually growing mint, rosemary, thymes, basil. If not, I have to start buying individual pots for them already.

I think I will try to grow pandan and curry tree first then. Any particular soil to get? Or I just ask the FEF about it?

Oh yes. Last question. What is the difference between buying the grown herbs from the florist and growing the herbs from seedling? I notice that alot of the forumers prefer to grow from seed.

Thx thx!

#4 User is offline   skyfiery 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Photography. Nature. Horseback-riding. Nature. Spirituality. Esoteric beliefs. Philosophy. Astronomy. Canines. Lupines. Golden eagles. Native American and Celtic cultures.

Posted 20 October 2009 - 01:31 PM

Hi eittus,

It's actually best if you let each plant grow in individual pots, unless the plants you're talking about are those which are from the same species - eg. grow various basils together or various types of mints together.

Rosemary and thyme (and the rest of the temperate herbs) need well-draining soil, and it might not be advisable to start with these until you've learnt how to mix your own soil mix that will support the plants in your growing conditions.

Basils are pretty easy, depending on which type. The ones sold in most nurseries are either sweet or Thai basil I believe. You can read up on their growing conditions in other threads in the edibles section.

Sky

#5 User is offline   pebble 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 20 October 2009 - 02:05 PM

View Posteittus, on Oct 20 2009, 01:24 PM, said:

Thanks Pebble!

I have been to far east floral and their pots are quite expensive. Hmmm However, i have never bought any pots before. Are the prices reasonable?

I just gotten my place and currently there is a curry tree in my garden and it is pretty big. I was thinking of cutting a stem and transfer to a pot. Is it ok to grow in a pot?

I have pretty strong afternoon sun. Am actually afraid that it is too hot for the plants. Hmm.

So, which herbs can grow together? I am thinking of eventually growing mint, rosemary, thymes, basil. If not, I have to start buying individual pots for them already.

I think I will try to grow pandan and curry tree first then. Any particular soil to get? Or I just ask the FEF about it?

Oh yes. Last question. What is the difference between buying the grown herbs from the florist and growing the herbs from seedling? I notice that alot of the forumers prefer to grow from seed.

Thx thx!

What kind of pot did you look at at FEF? If you are talking about normal empty mid-size plastic pots, they should not be too costly. Maybe about $1-2, depending on size.

I suggested FEF and nurseries, bec purchasing a mature plant gives you higher chance of success. But if you got friends or neighbours who have those plants, you can ask for cuttings.
- Pandan leaves - get some baby pandan (off shoots that grow from the mother plant), soak in water for 1 week till small roots appear. Then plant into soil.
- curry leaf - cannot grow from stem-cutting. Curry leaf plant grows from seed or runners (those smaller plants that grow up from the ground near the mother plant). Dig one of these plantlets and re-plant.
- basil and most herbs grow from cuttings. Among the herbs you listed above, I think basil and mint are probably the easiest. I've never tried thyme before. Rosemary is quite hard, but still possible. So, I suggest you start with the easier herbs first, to gain experience. Try Oregano (Indian Borage - this is super-easy), or maybe ginger or tumeric.
Also, herbs don't like it too hot or too wet. These are considered European herbs, so you can guess they like cooler and drier weather. Focus on getting the soil conditions right, and you're more than half-way there.

Pandan and Curry can take full sun. But when you newly re-pot, keep them in shade for a week, before you bring them into the sun. This is to give them time to root properly.

#6 User is offline   eittus 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 20 October 2009 - 05:11 PM

Thx Sky and Pebbles!

Curry leave plant cannot grow by stem? Oh no... now I don't know how to transfer the plant. Hmm shall see how then.

Ok - I will try to grow curry, oregano and basil in different pots first and see how they grow.

Hopefully all goes well. Will drop by FEF this weekend to buy the pots for the plants.

Thanks once again.

#7 User is offline   Ah Kee 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 20 October 2009 - 05:25 PM

not sure where you stay, but some members say sheng siong at tekka has lots of plants

refer to this for details
http://www.greenculturesg.com/forum/index....20&start=20

#8 User is offline   pebble 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 20 October 2009 - 06:04 PM

View Posteittus, on Oct 20 2009, 05:11 PM, said:

Thx Sky and Pebbles!

Curry leave plant cannot grow by stem? Oh no... now I don't know how to transfer the plant. Hmm shall see how then.

Ok - I will try to grow curry, oregano and basil in different pots first and see how they grow.

Hopefully all goes well. Will drop by FEF this weekend to buy the pots for the plants.

Thanks once again.

You can also check the forum section "things to give away" to see if any member wants to dispose of pots/ plants, or other things, or sell cheap.
FEF is good to get ideas. But warn you first, you might get deeply poisoned when you step in there. Last Sat, I went to WF (World Farm), and I spent about 100 bucks!

Curry plant transplant: If it's a mature plant, dig around the soil of the plant and try to uproot together with the soil. You might have to use a big round-tip spade. Try your best not to damage the roots, and lift the whole plant and root system into the new pot. Same method to transplant baby plantlets.

#9 User is offline   skyfiery 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Photography. Nature. Horseback-riding. Nature. Spirituality. Esoteric beliefs. Philosophy. Astronomy. Canines. Lupines. Golden eagles. Native American and Celtic cultures.

Posted 20 October 2009 - 06:24 PM

View Posteittus, on Oct 20 2009, 05:11 PM, said:

Thx Sky and Pebbles!

Thanks once again.

You're most welcome...

Btw, I've heard from someone that oregano might not be that easy to grow as well. I haven't really tried, but it's just a heads-up for you. Part of the fun is in trying and all, also. :)/>

If you want herbs, I suggest you head to World Farm to buy, like Pebbles suggested.

Sky

#10 User is offline   eittus 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 21 October 2009 - 09:14 AM

Ah kee - I read the post. Seems like they have alot of plants. But I need pots and soil and fertilizer so I guess going to a nursery first might be better. Will go to sheng siong after I get my starter kit. Hehe. Thanks for the info!

Pebbles - I went to FEF's sister company (goodwood i think ) on monday evening and was overwhelm by it. Wanted to buy the stuff but was too confused as to where to start and what to buy. So came to this forum to get an idea of how to grow plant before i attempt to go again.

The current curry tree is huge! It is taller then me so I guess it is hard to transplant it! Hmmm And it does not have any babies around. Oh well. Might have to grow from scratch then.

Sky - Pebbles said that Indian Borage is super easy? Maybe it is different breed? Hmm. I guess I have to go to world farm to check it out. Thanks!

#11 User is offline   skyfiery 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 21 October 2009 - 09:17 AM

View Posteittus, on Oct 21 2009, 09:14 AM, said:

Sky - Pebbles said that Indian Borage is super easy? Maybe it is different breed? Hmm. I guess I have to go to world farm to check it out. Thanks!

? Different breed from what?

And yeah, Indian Borage is extremely easy to grow. Cut, plonk into the soil, water, keep in bright shade away from sun until roots establish.

Sky

#12 User is offline   pebble 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 21 October 2009 - 09:25 AM

This is how Indian Borage looks like. My Filipino helper calls it Oregano. So I guess that's what they call it. It is very good for cough. When all the cough syrups fail, Indian Borage seems to work.

http://i874.photobucket.com/albums/ab303/pebble02/Garden/S1031437-compress.jpg

#13 User is offline   eittus 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 21 October 2009 - 09:42 AM

Oh. Chinese medicinal plant! The one that has fur like texture? My grandma used to grow that and boil for us to drink when we cough as well.

#14 User is offline   pebble 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 21 October 2009 - 01:39 PM

Correct. It has a mint like smell when you rub the leaves.
My Filipino helper would wash the leaves, and squeeze it with hot water in a hanky to get the juice. It is really yucky tasting! But it is very effective for coughs leh.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users