GCS Forum: The Samurai orchid: Neofinetia falcata - GCS Forum

• 2 Pages +

The Samurai orchid: Neofinetia falcata

#21 User is offline   rockhop 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 30 April 2007 - 03:28 AM

I like this plant! Can I grow it in the shade?

#22 User is offline   Wisp 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 30 April 2007 - 07:17 AM

rockhop, on Apr 30 2007, 03:28 AM, said:

I like this plant! Can I grow it in the shade?

Guess so. I may warn that this year weather seems pretty freaky, but its worth a try. Although these sort of antique /cultural plants are out of my league..I saw a 2000 year old cymbidium sinense clone that was going for US$1.2 million...

#23 User is offline   Tanya 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 30 April 2007 - 12:10 PM

I also bought one last year but I am never sure if I can rebloom it. Now that Robin and Ian are able to bloom theirs, I am now a bit confident that mine might rebloom this year.

I have read post from other growers from other forums that this one needs dry winter. I tried to give mine a dry period last winter but the leaves became close to shrivelling so I abandoned the idea.

Robin and Ian, how long does the spike take to develop? I mean spike to bloom? Any specific feeding regiment?

This post has been edited by Tanya: 30 April 2007 - 12:12 PM

#24 User is offline   rockhop 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 30 April 2007 - 05:46 PM

Ian & Robin, where did you buy your plants from?

#25 User is offline   noodle 

• Associate Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Associate Member
  • Interests:Growing phalaenopsis, paphiopedilum, small orchids or blue/ white orchids or anything that catch my fancy :-)

http://www.friendster.com/orchidophile
    http://members.gardenweb.com/members/noodle
    http://community.webshots.com/user/phalaenopsis_lover

Posted 01 May 2007 - 12:47 PM

Hi rockhop ,
I dun't think u can grow in shade I grow in 70 % light....well this one take me I think almost 4 or 5 yrs? haha or may be ...b4 it throw it first bloom..perhaps this was fr jap so it take time to aclimatise to our weather? pm u already.

Cheers!
Ian :lol:/>

#26 User is offline   Robin 

• Associate Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Cultivating various species of the genera Phalaenopsis, Vanda & Cattleya, as well as other exotic orchid species.

Posted 07 May 2007 - 06:38 PM

Tanya, on Apr 30 2007, 12:10 PM, said:

I also bought one last year but I am never sure if I can rebloom it. Now that Robin and Ian are able to bloom theirs, I am now a bit confident that mine might rebloom this year.

I have read post from other growers from other forums that this one needs dry winter. I tried to give mine a dry period last winter but the leaves became close to shrivelling so I abandoned the idea.

Robin and Ian, how long does the spike take to develop? I mean spike to bloom? Any specific feeding regiment?

Tanya, you just have make sure the roots dry up in between waterings. My plant flowers all the time (so frequent to the extent that I now take flowering for granted :P/> ), each spike takes about 2 weeks to a month to fully develop (note: more flowers/ spike => more time required for spike to develop). I give all my plants NPK 21:21:21 on a weekly basis [one tablespoon (i.e. 15 ml) per gallon (i.e. 4.5 litres) of water, together with fungicide etc.]

rockhop, on Apr 30 2007, 05:46 PM, said:

Ian & Robin, where did you buy your plants from?

WL.

noodle, on May 1 2007, 12:47 PM, said:

Hi rockhop ,
I dun't think u can grow in shade I grow in 70 % light....well this one take me I think almost 4 or 5 yrs? haha or may be ...b4 it throw it first bloom..perhaps this was fr jap so it take time to aclimatise to our weather? pm u already.

Cheers!
Ian :lol:/>

Ian, I think your plant is about 2 years+ old. I was with you when you bought the plant from WL B)/>

#27 User is offline   noodle 

• Associate Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Growing phalaenopsis, paphiopedilum, small orchids or blue/ white orchids or anything that catch my fancy :-)

Posted 07 May 2007 - 10:23 PM

nope that is another neo ;-)

#28 User is offline   noodle 

• Associate Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 17 April 2008 - 01:31 PM

I brought a vareigated barerooted neo falcata from wl early this yr... grow it in my bed rm ..and suprisngly now it has rooted very well and have started to bloom for me !!! :lol:/>
Cheers! :)/>

#29 User is offline   rex 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Orchids especially showy catts, fragrant phals, and anything else rewarding yet easy to grow :)

Posted 17 April 2008 - 01:42 PM

noodle, on Apr 17 2008, 01:31 PM, said:

I brought a vareigated barerooted neo falcata from wl early this yr... grow it in my bed rm ..and suprisngly now it has rooted very well and have started to bloom for me !!! :lol:/>
Cheers! :)/>

Picture pls, picture pls :)/>

#30 User is offline   Genesis 

• PipPip

Posted 06 January 2012 - 11:41 AM

I've brought my 1st orchid - Neofinetia in Nov 11. This plant might have nurture in Taiwan, because the store is managed by Taiwan boss. Now the leave seem to turn brown very quickly and some had dropped off, I'm not sure what is happening. I'm living in Singapore and this plant place about 1.5m away from window and indoor. I plant in a pot in a mixture of sphagnum and cork material(Originally condition from store) and water it once a week. I'm new to this and hope anyone could advise me. Thanks in advance.

#31 User is offline   cucubirds 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 06 January 2012 - 12:14 PM

I think you need to repot it. Sphagnum moss retains too much water which causes root rot.
If there is root rot, it cannot support water to leaves.

You take it out from the pot & carefully check the whole plant. Cut off mushy roots & brown leaves.

Then you can repot it in basket or mount on fern bark which is much easier to control watering. You may need to water everyday or so.

Another thing is that 1.5m away from windows will not provide sufficient light for it. It can take cattleya light level.

Hope this helps.

Genesis, on 06 January 2012 - 11:41 AM, said:

I've brought my 1st orchid - Neofinetia in Nov 11. This plant might have nurture in Taiwan, because the store is managed by Taiwan boss. Now the leave seem to turn brown very quickly and some had dropped off, I'm not sure what is happening. I'm living in Singapore and this plant place about 1.5m away from window and indoor. I plant in a pot in a mixture of sphagnum and cork material(Originally condition from store) and water it once a week. I'm new to this and hope anyone could advise me. Thanks in advance.

This post has been edited by cucubirds: 06 January 2012 - 12:16 PM

#32 User is offline   Genesis 

• PipPip

Posted 07 January 2012 - 11:37 AM

Thank you cucubirds!
I took the plant out and shift it to a bigger pot, I found there moist below the Sphagnum but I'm not sure it retain too much water.

I'll try your suggestion and place the plant near to window. can i left the plant with direct sunlight the whole day?

cucubirds, on 06 January 2012 - 12:14 PM, said:

I think you need to repot it. Sphagnum moss retains too much water which causes root rot.
If there is root rot, it cannot support water to leaves.

You take it out from the pot & carefully check the whole plant. Cut off mushy roots & brown leaves.

Then you can repot it in basket or mount on fern bark which is much easier to control watering. You may need to water everyday or so.

Another thing is that 1.5m away from windows will not provide sufficient light for it. It can take cattleya light level.

Hope this helps.

#33 User is offline   Fishes and Plants 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Orchids mainly cattleya

Posted 07 January 2012 - 04:17 PM

Genesis, on 06 January 2012 - 11:41 AM, said:

Hi Genesis, after inspecting the roots of the plant, what is the condition of the roots? Healthy roots should white with green tips. Placing your plants indoors may result in lack of air circulation which can lead to root rot. If possible try to place your plant outdoors where it can receive a few hours of sun. This will also allow the media to dry up faster. Btw, did you get your plant from the World orchid conference?

Best regards
Tze Hong

#34 User is offline   Genesis 

• PipPip

Posted 08 January 2012 - 10:41 AM

HI Tze Hong, some of the roots had rot, it don't look healthy to me. I'm trying to salvage this plant with my best ability. I'm now starting to place it very near to the windows for morning sun and shift away from afternoon sun to a airy (indoor) place. Yup, I brought it during WOC last year where i meet a guy whom introducing me to this plant. I like the sweet fragrant from the flowers. I'm also looking for Oncidium Tsiku Marguerite, pls let me know if you happen to see it at florist or nursery shop. thks.

#35 User is offline   Fishes and Plants 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Orchids mainly cattleya

Posted 08 January 2012 - 12:00 PM

Genesis, on 08 January 2012 - 10:41 AM, said:

HI Tze Hong, some of the roots had rot, it don't look healthy to me. I'm trying to salvage this plant with my best ability. I'm now starting to place it very near to the windows for morning sun and shift away from afternoon sun to a airy (indoor) place. Yup, I brought it during WOC last year where i meet a guy whom introducing me to this plant. I like the sweet fragrant from the flowers. I'm also looking for Oncidium Tsiku Marguerite, pls let me know if you happen to see it at florist or nursery shop. thks.

Hi Genesis, if I were you, I would try to minimise shifting the plant too much. Just find a bright spot with good air circulation and leave it there. Shifting the plant too often will unsettle it. If the location that you are placing it has too much sun, you can buy some big and cheap plants like coleus, pandan or even a dendrobium and place it near your Neofinetia to provide some shade for it. This will also help to increase humidity which will be good for your plant too. All the best to your Neofinetia.

Rgds
Tze Hong

#36 User is offline   cucubirds 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 08 January 2012 - 07:01 PM

You should avoid afternoon harsh sunlight as you plant is already in stress.

As Fishes and Plants said bright spot (if can get morning sun up to 11 am is better)with plenty of air movement would be perfect for now.

Good luck to your plant.

#37 User is offline   Genesis 

• PipPip

Posted 10 January 2012 - 01:01 AM

Thanks Fish and plant and cucubirds, I'll try that also.

#38 User is offline   crandf 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 18 August 2014 - 11:33 AM

Hi,
I just got a Shutenno, and am looking for tips to grow it and get it to flower regularly in our tropical climate. Anyone has a clear idea? The links I found online just mention providing a mild dry winter condition with lots of light, so I can't even keep it in the fridge... Is it possible to just provide eternal summer for it and still get healthy growth and regular flowering?

Also an earlier post said sphagnum moss not suitable. Really? I was planning to try the traditional Japanese sphagnum mound with hollow center, but if complete drying out is really difficult for Neofinetia grown in Singapore, then maybe mounting on wood, coconut husk, or a pot of fir barks and charcoal is better instead?

This post has been edited by crandf: 18 August 2014 - 11:38 AM

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users