Page 1 of 1

Growing tips for sage Confused

#1 User is offline   newtogardening 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 13 September 2009 - 12:13 PM

Hi all,

I've a new pot of sage.. and I need some help. Googling on growing tips is getting me quite confused..

Sunlight required - some websites say lots of sun, others say just morning sun will do. Anyone can advise in our hot climate, which is correct?

Watering required - almost all the websites say that little watering is preferable. But my sage has been looking more and more drooping since the day it came home with me. Afraid that it is thirsty, I gave it more water..

Can someone kindly help? I'm afraid to kill this plant..

Thanks much!

#2 User is offline   wilson 

• Founder
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Root Admin
  • Interests:Back to edibles...

Posted 13 September 2009 - 12:33 PM

Singapore's a tropical country and some things need to be noted to grow these Mediterranean stuff:

1. Soil - grow in a well draining mix. I add 2 parts of sand into potting mixes like Green Lover (from AMK nursery, which is a mix of burnt earth, compost, etc).

2. Light - Morning direct sunshine is essential. Keep away from noon sun (which is a little too hot, esp lately).

3. Water - With the growing conditions in 1 and 2, plants are watered once in the morning. If it wilts later on, water again. If not, wait till next morn.

4. Fertiliser - slow release osmoscote pellets coupled with water soluble fertiliser like phostrogen or gaviota weekly at half strength.

5. Air circulation - this is important. Grow sage in a well ventilated place.

Hope this helps and these tips are applicable to other herbs like rosemary, etc.

Wilson

#3 User is offline   twinmama 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 13 September 2009 - 12:45 PM

View Postnewtogardening, on Sep 13 2009, 12:13 PM, said:

Hi all,

I've a new pot of sage.. and I need some help. Googling on growing tips is getting me quite confused..

Sunlight required - some websites say lots of sun, others say just morning sun will do. Anyone can advise in our hot climate, which is correct?

Watering required - almost all the websites say that little watering is preferable. But my sage has been looking more and more drooping since the day it came home with me. Afraid that it is thirsty, I gave it more water..

Can someone kindly help? I'm afraid to kill this plant..

Thanks much!

I have the same problem with my sage initially.
After moving it to a semi shade place & water it daily. It seem to grow better.
Just for contingency, I have cut some stem & manage to root it.
The new plant seem to grow quite slow. Not sure it is because of the soil mix (burnt soil & compose)
Still trying to root more to experiment with on other soil mix.

http://i641.photobucket.com/albums/uu136/twinMWWQ/flowers/herbs/DSC03186_sageroot.jpg

#4 User is offline   wilson 

• Founder
  • PipPipPip

Posted 13 September 2009 - 01:22 PM

The problem with sage is that it loves the sun but cannot take our mid-day heat. If it suffers prolonged and repeated lack of moisture, the plant sheds its lower leaves and what remains look sickly and the plant will suffer a setback. Growth will somewhat be stunted.

Overwatering will cause the stems to turn black and in severe cases, plants die back.

New stem cuttings take some time to settle down before they grow. Make sure the soil mix is well draining!

#5 User is offline   newtogardening 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 13 September 2009 - 01:31 PM

Thanks all for your help. I suspect it is over watering and too much sun for this sage of mine...

Thanks again

#6 User is offline   Yetat 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 13 September 2009 - 05:26 PM

View Postwilson, on Sep 13 2009, 01:22 PM, said:

If it suffers prolonged and repeated lack of moisture, the plant sheds its lower leaves and what remains look sickly and the plant will suffer a setback. Growth will somewhat be stunted.

Thanks! :notworthy:/>

I'm growing sage indoor and I don't wanna kill it, so I tend to stay on the dry side. Now, I know why some of the lower leaves keep dropping.

So when do we need to water them? The top 1-inch soil to be bone dry before watering them or the top 2-inch?

I know this sounds funny, but I always have the habit to stick my finger at various part of the pots to determine moisture level before watering.

#7 User is offline   wilson 

• Founder
  • PipPipPip

Posted 13 September 2009 - 05:51 PM

Plants should not dry out totally and they seem to also not like our midday sunshine. I have a sage that was grown totally outdoors in a pot. I believe it was a combination of factors which included the lack of moisture and excessive sunshine that led to the decline of the sage. It was overly stressed and we know how fast plants in pots dry out outdoors in full sunshine.

But I have several other plants at home where I grew them in a location where they got morning sun and watered once daily. They did fine so far. Soil is on the moist side that dries out a little before I watered again. It only aborted a few bottom leaves when I forgot to water it once for an entire day and the plant wilted totally then.

Hope this sheds some light.

Wilson

#8 User is offline   newtogardening 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 13 September 2009 - 05:54 PM

Hi, sorry just have to ask another question. My sage's stem is a bit black at the bottom (I've only bought the plant for like 3 days!).. and the leaves are droopy (Not just bottom leaves.. all leaves) ... which is why I suspected as I mentioned is overwatering.

Should I take a stem cutting and discard the plant? Or repot..? Thanks much!

#9 User is offline   shamrock 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 13 September 2009 - 07:12 PM

View Postnewtogardening, on Sep 13 2009, 05:54 PM, said:

Hi, sorry just have to ask another question. My sage's stem is a bit black at the bottom (I've only bought the plant for like 3 days!).. and the leaves are droopy (Not just bottom leaves.. all leaves) ... which is why I suspected as I mentioned is overwatering.

Should I take a stem cutting and discard the plant? Or repot..? Thanks much!

take stem cuttings as insurance. then remove the plant with the whole rootball from the pot and try to dry the soil a bit. see if that helps. if it dies, at least you still have the cuttings. i lost my first sage that way too - watered it to death.

#10 User is offline   newtogardening 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 17 September 2009 - 08:47 PM

View Postshamrock, on Sep 13 2009, 07:12 PM, said:

take stem cuttings as insurance. then remove the plant with the whole rootball from the pot and try to dry the soil a bit. see if that helps. if it dies, at least you still have the cuttings. i lost my first sage that way too - watered it to death.

Just an update on my sage. I bought the plants and it has 2 main stems (?). Anyway, one was the droopy one and because I wanted "insurance", I cut it off and it is now ok in a cup of water.

The other one, I was going to change the soil but I was busy that day and when I came back, the soil was a bit dry and the plant looked ok. The next day, it was ok too.. So I decided to leave it alone and so far, after about 5 days, it seems to be doing quite ok. *Phew!*

I realised this plant is a bit like my rosemary and oregano.. The soil gets very dry, then you water, is that right?

I know Wilson shared that he waters once a day.. and I've also read many comments that the soil shouldnt be bone-dry for these plants.. But I've found that watering my rosemary and sage about once every three days or even five days sometimes keeps them more alive than my previous attempts.

I guess.. is the same for sage..?

#11 User is offline   wilson 

• Founder
  • PipPipPip

Posted 17 September 2009 - 10:08 PM

Hi there,

Sage requires a little more water than rosemary and oregano. It has larger leaves and hence lose more moisture compared to the other two under the same growing conditions.

But make your own observations by looking at the plant and feel the soil then decide.

Wilson

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users