• 9 Pages +
  • Last »

Real gotu kola..

#1 User is offline   newtogardening 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 01 September 2009 - 06:04 PM

I've blogged about , which I got from Petunia.. which are apparantly Hydrocotyle Verticillata and not the real gotu kola

http://i844.photobucket.com/albums/ab8/OpenKitchenConcept/GotuKola.jpg

http://openkitchenconcept.blogspot.com/200...other-name.html

I have been eating these of course... But I had a comment left on my blog that this plant is grown in someone's aquarium.. and a friend who came by exclaimed that her dog actually likes this plant, which she also planted at home!.. hehehe..

Now.. I'm just a bit kind of curious.. does anyone know if I can buy THE real gotu kola plant out there?

:)/>

This post has been edited by newtogardening: 01 September 2009 - 06:05 PM

#2 User is offline   scatterseed 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 01 September 2009 - 06:18 PM

hi,

I have seen this plant for sale at WF a while ago. Didn't visit the herb/edible section when i was there over the weekend. Was sooo excited over the selaginellas that I forgot to visit the edibles, plus I was pressed for time.

However, I have also eaten the plant shown above as salad and am still standing! Also, I think if you go to Geylang or Little India, they do sell this as vegetable as well as the 'real' ones. I asked one of the grocer there and he said both can be eaten.

SS

#3 User is offline   newtogardening 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 01 September 2009 - 07:38 PM

Oh.. Scatterseed.. Thanks.. actually, I know it can be eaten.. I've been eating it.. I feel that it gives me more energy when I eat in the morning..

Just that.. I'm actually curious to also try growing the "real" one... hehe

#4 User is offline   scatterseed 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 02 September 2009 - 07:47 AM

View Postnewtogardening, on Sep 1 2009, 07:38 PM, said:

Oh.. Scatterseed.. Thanks.. actually, I know it can be eaten.. I've been eating it.. I feel that it gives me more energy when I eat in the morning..

Just that.. I'm actually curious to also try growing the "real" one... hehe

Little India grocers sells them in a bunch and the stems root easily, just like kangkong or ceylon spinach. cheaper this way too.

SS

#5 User is offline   TALOS 

• Registered Merchant
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Registered Merchant

Posted 02 September 2009 - 09:04 AM

are u looking for Hydrocotyle sibthorpiodes?
i was told by an old man who sells vegetables that its a cooling herb for men.
too cooling for women lol!
i've tried it once and it works!
felt like i was gonna get a sore throat one time, and i took the herb and put it in hot water and the next day i was fine.
no sore throat.

i have an extra pot if u want.

#6 User is offline   petunialee 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 02 September 2009 - 09:42 AM

View PostTALOS, on Sep 2 2009, 09:04 AM, said:

are u looking for Hydrocotyle sibthorpiodes?
i was told by an old man who sells vegetables that its a cooling herb for men.
too cooling for women lol!
i've tried it once and it works!
felt like i was gonna get a sore throat one time, and i took the herb and put it in hot water and the next day i was fine.
no sore throat.

i have an extra pot if u want.

Hmmm... actually I think what she is looking for is centella asiatica.

#7 User is offline   newtogardening 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 02 September 2009 - 09:16 PM

Little India, ok.. I've never been there but I will make a trip down. sounds interesting.. :)/> If I do get them, Petunia, I'd save some for you.. thinking you might want them too.. :)/>

#8 User is offline   scatterseed 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 02 September 2009 - 09:26 PM

View Postnewtogardening, on Sep 2 2009, 09:16 PM, said:

Little India, ok.. I've never been there but I will make a trip down. sounds interesting.. :)/> If I do get them, Petunia, I'd save some for you.. thinking you might want them too.. :)/>

Ktkt,

Yes.. do go take a look. If not in the main market, there's a row of shop across the road and there are a few grocers there. Since you are into cooking, you could appreciate some French deep red onions. I got some last weekend! Made some French Onion Soup!

They have other wonderful vegetable that is difficult to find elsewhere.

PetLee, was thinking of you when I bought the onions! You would sure want some French red onions too, right? Beautiful to caramelise and make onion sauce?

SS

#9 User is offline   petunialee 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 03 September 2009 - 10:56 AM

View Postnewtogardening, on Sep 2 2009, 09:16 PM, said:

You bet I want some!!

View Postscatterseed, on Sep 2 2009, 09:26 PM, said:

Ktkt,

Yes.. do go take a look. If not in the main market, there's a row of shop across the road and there are a few grocers there. Since you are into cooking, you could appreciate some French deep red onions. I got some last weekend! Made some French Onion Soup!

They have other wonderful vegetable that is difficult to find elsewhere.

PetLee, was thinking of you when I bought the onions! You would sure want some French red onions too, right? Beautiful to caramelise and make onion sauce?

SS

Going back to France end of year for a month! Pig out there!

#10 User is offline   fluffymutt 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Registered Merchant

Posted 03 September 2009 - 04:41 PM

there was a period of time i gnawed a raw leaf of gotu kola (or pennywort?) everyday but didn't notice any difference. i'm wondering if i should try eating the "fake" gotu kola. can anyone advise how long it takes to show effect? thanks!

#11 User is offline   scatterseed 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 03 September 2009 - 04:58 PM

View Postfluffymutt, on Sep 3 2009, 04:41 PM, said:

there was a period of time i gnawed a raw leaf of gotu kola (or pennywort?) everyday but didn't notice any difference. i'm wondering if i should try eating the "fake" gotu kola. can anyone advise how long it takes to show effect? thanks!

What was your problem? What do you want to improve? If you are healthy, how much healthier do you wanna get? You look healthy and hale enough lah.. :hysterical:/> :hysterical:/>

SS

#12 User is offline   petunialee 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 03 September 2009 - 05:47 PM

View Postfluffymutt, on Sep 3 2009, 04:41 PM, said:

Ok... here I go again. It has effects within 2 days but you need to take about 8 largish leaves. Look forward to very vivid dreams in the first week and thereafter. After 1 month of continuous eating (8 leaves everyday), your menstrual discharge (sorry to be gross but medical stuff always gross) doesn't clot much, morning arthritis gone and boy... you will love your complexion. If you get nightmares, you will wake up in cold sweat. 2 nights ago, I woke up giggling because the dream was so funny... very real, very sitcom... hilarious. The Husband thought I was nuts.

My pots had soil mealies and spider mites and so I got rid of them and didn't eat gotu kola for 4 or 5 months. I started again 2 months ago and my husband just looked at me yesterday and said "Wow! Your complexion has improved lately ah?!" This herb is great for vain pots and people with piles (ok, gross again)... 'cos what it does is to strengthen your connective tissue (i.e., human meat). All the blood veins' walls get stronger and piles disappear. Essentially, piles are blood veins that have walls too weak to cope with the blood pressure. So, they balloon and cause discomfort.

To set the record straight, the one with piles wasn't me. It was someone I recommended it to.

This post has been edited by petunialee: 03 September 2009 - 05:49 PM

#13 User is offline   vanilla 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 03 September 2009 - 06:01 PM

View Postpetunialee, on Sep 3 2009, 05:47 PM, said:

Ok... here I go again. It has effects within 2 days but you need to take about 8 largish leaves. Look forward to very vivid dreams in the first week and thereafter. After 1 month of continuous eating (8 leaves everyday), your menstrual discharge (sorry to be gross but medical stuff always gross) doesn't clot much, morning arthritis gone and boy... you will love your complexion. If you get nightmares, you will wake up in cold sweat. 2 nights ago, I woke up giggling because the dream was so funny... very real, very sitcom... hilarious. The Husband thought I was nuts.

My pots had soil mealies and spider mites and so I got rid of them and didn't eat gotu kola for 4 or 5 months. I started again 2 months ago and my husband just looked at me yesterday and said "Wow! Your complexion has improved lately ah?!" This herb is great for vain pots and people with piles (ok, gross again)... 'cos what it does is to strengthen your connective tissue (i.e., human meat). All the blood veins' walls get stronger and piles disappear. Essentially, piles are blood veins that have walls too weak to cope with the blood pressure. So, they balloon and cause discomfort.

To set the record straight, the one with piles wasn't me. It was someone I recommended it to.

Hey Petunia.. this is getting interesting.. hmmm.. good complexion? as in smooth & rosy? IWANT to eat too!! Do you eat the 8 leaves raw everyday? The real & fake have the same effects too? I know I am asking too many questions (I am a vain pot too) :hysterical:/>

#14 User is offline   petunialee 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 03 September 2009 - 06:32 PM

View Postvanilla, on Sep 3 2009, 06:01 PM, said:

Hey Petunia.. this is getting interesting.. hmmm.. good complexion? as in smooth & rosy? IWANT to eat too!! Do you eat the 8 leaves raw everyday? The real & fake have the same effects too? I know I am asking too many questions (I am a vain pot too) :hysterical:/>

From one vain pot to another...

Yup! As in firm and bright complexion, and wrinkles. Better than creams. This guy selling Dead Sea mud packs had his jaw drop right to the floor when he discovered how old I am and that I use no beauty product whatsoever.

Doesn't help pimples though.

Gotu Kola helps cell regeneration. That means cells everywhere in your body. In brain, in blood veins (piles & varicose veins), on skin and hair. I first took it for mental clarity... brain cells. The Indians know it as a herb for old people's memory loss. It was after I ate it that I realised that my skin and hair looked better. Then, when I read up further, I realised that it helps skin and piles and hair.

Be careful with dosage. I experienced nose bleed with over dose. These days, I take for 2 weeks and stop for 1 or 2.

I put leaves in a mug. Add enough water to immerse the leaves. Nuke 'em in microwave and chew the bitter stuff into a ball and swallow. My whole family gets this every night, including Grandma. I don't bother to make it taste good. It's pure business. Chew as fast as I can and then swallow. After a while, everyone is used to it.

This post has been edited by petunialee: 03 September 2009 - 06:38 PM

#15 User is offline   scatterseed 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 03 September 2009 - 06:38 PM

Pet,

Whoaa... lidat I also want to start again. I grew mine in the pond a while ago and the kois were eating them up. They must know instinctively what's good for them! The pot went botak after a while and went to plant heaven. That means, a trip to Little India again this weekend? Mmmm or maybe Geylang Serai since I have not been there since they move to the new market a few months ago.

Btw, I like the vivid dreams and giggling in the middle of the night bit. Can share the dream? :)/>

SS

#16 User is offline   petunialee 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 03 September 2009 - 06:49 PM

View Postscatterseed, on Sep 3 2009, 06:38 PM, said:

Pet,

Whoaa... lidat I also want to start again. I grew mine in the pond a while ago and the kois were eating them up. They must know instinctively what's good for them! The pot went botak after a while and went to plant heaven. That means, a trip to Little India again this weekend? Mmmm or maybe Geylang Serai since I have not been there since they move to the new market a few months ago.

Btw, I like the vivid dreams and giggling in the middle of the night bit. Can share the dream? :)/>

SS

Go to FEF and get a pot lah... $1.50 per small pot. Plant at home in wet and clayey soil, put in full sun and it'll explode into a mass of leaves within 1 month. Then eat. No need to both rooting from the bunches in Little India. Or else, you can come over and I'll dig up a bunch for you from my pots eh?

Ok... my dream. I was in an antique shop in Italy in the middle of summer. I needed to do "big business" and so went to their toilet which was decorated to look like a harem steam bath out of Granada, Spain. I entered a cubicle above which was a sign that said "The lily was planted here, and anyone who manages to 'ahem' in this cubicle will get $1000/=. I obligingly used the cubicle.

Whereupon, a Brazilian guy (short, dark and fat) who was my entourage minder popped his head over the cubicle door to say "It won't work Madam. the last time you did it, they didn't give you $1000/=." At that, I sent my Brazilian minder to the restaurant of the antique store saying "Now. don't worry... you go and look for a professional athlete whose name starts with an 'E', and get him to come here and witness the deed I am about to do in this cubicle with the lily plant. If a professional athlete whose name starts with 'E' comes and witness, they have no choice but to pay me."

That was when I suddenly became conscious of how hilarious this thing abou professional athlete was, and I started laughing very hard and woke myself up.

Gee.. today must be Petunia-gross-people-out day. Let me apologise, yes? And assure people that I am not everyday so uncouth in my public postings. But with gotu kola, you tend to remember every detail of your dreams.... and you did ask me to share... So voila!

This post has been edited by petunialee: 03 September 2009 - 06:52 PM

#17 User is offline   reef 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 03 September 2009 - 06:53 PM

hmmm, where can we get the real gotu kola then ? :P/>

#18 User is offline   petunialee 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 03 September 2009 - 06:58 PM

View Postreef, on Sep 3 2009, 06:53 PM, said:

hmmmm... dunno leh... I'm happy with the one I have and so didn't search further. Go Little India and try? They have bunches of both selling as veggies. 1 bunch for $1/= as I recall. You bring home and root.

#19 User is offline   mm 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 03 September 2009 - 08:22 PM

View Postpetunialee, on Sep 3 2009, 06:49 PM, said:

Ok... my dream. I was in an antique shop in Italy in the middle of summer. I needed to do "big business" and so went to their toilet which was decorated to look like a harem steam bath out of Granada, Spain. I entered a cubicle above which was a sign that said "The lily was planted here, and anyone who manages to 'ahem' in this cubicle will get $1000/=. I obligingly used the cubicle.

Whereupon, a Brazilian guy (short, dark and fat) who was my entourage minder popped his head over the cubicle door to say "It won't work Madam. the last time you did it, they didn't give you $1000/=." At that, I sent my Brazilian minder to the restaurant of the antique store saying "Now. don't worry... you go and look for a professional athlete whose name starts with an 'E', and get him to come here and witness the deed I am about to do in this cubicle with the lily plant. If a professional athlete whose name starts with 'E' comes and witness, they have no choice but to pay me."

That was when I suddenly became conscious of how hilarious this thing abou professional athlete was, and I started laughing very hard and woke myself up.

Petunia - there must be something Freudian in here ... :)/>

#20 User is offline   maggie 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 03 September 2009 - 08:25 PM

View Postreef, on Sep 3 2009, 06:53 PM, said:

world farm confirm have... another member showed me and said, "This one then is the real one!"

Share this topic:

• 9 Pages +
  • Last »

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users