GCS Forum: My Basil is wilting away - GCS Forum

• 2 Pages +

My Basil is wilting away Again.. second time this is happening...

#1 User is offline   newtogardening 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 24 August 2009 - 08:44 AM

My Basil is wilting away... leaves are drooping and looking sad.. falling off easily..

I've checked and checked and I don't see any strange stuff in the soil. No running insects or small soil mealies.

But the bottom of the stem is very black. Could this be the reason?

This is my second time experiencing this. The last time I just threw my basil out. This time I want to see if anything can be done to save them...

I've had them for abt 3 months now..

Here are some pictures of the wilting leaves and black stem...

http://i844.photobucket.com/albums/ab8/OpenKitchenConcept/P1000558.jpg

http://i844.photobucket.com/albums/ab8/OpenKitchenConcept/P1000561-1.jpg

#2 User is offline   newtogardening 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 24 August 2009 - 08:51 AM

Hm... just wanted to clarify. There's no problem of underwatering. In fact, I had to drain out all the water in the pot after the heavy downpour on Sunday morning...

#3 User is offline   Wisteria 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 24 August 2009 - 09:59 AM

Looks like stem rot due to excessive moisture in the soil.

#4 User is offline   bbbreath 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 24 August 2009 - 11:20 AM

View Postnewtogardening, on Aug 24 2009, 08:51 AM, said:

Hm... just wanted to clarify. There's no problem of underwatering. In fact, I had to drain out all the water in the pot after the heavy downpour on Sunday morning...

Hi newtogardening

Where did you place the basil? Is it placed under sun with moist soil?

You might want to do stem cuttings. I used to have a pot of basil experiencing the same problem. I cut off a stem and root it into another pot of basil and its growing well now.

#5 User is offline   Veron 

• PipPip

Posted 24 August 2009 - 01:05 PM

View Postbbbreath, on Aug 24 2009, 11:20 AM, said:

Hi newtogardening

You might want to do stem cuttings. I used to have a pot of basil experiencing the same problem. I cut off a stem and root it into another pot of basil and its growing well now.

ya it can grow by stem cuttings. if not your leaves will also be vey small too. have recently repotted mine=)

#6 User is offline   newtogardening 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 24 August 2009 - 01:08 PM

View Postbbbreath, on Aug 24 2009, 11:20 AM, said:

Hi newtogardening

Hi,

Yes! I did.. moist soil and under full afternoon sun.. oh dear. I thought that is what they like! :(/>

#7 User is offline   BornFree 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 24 August 2009 - 01:11 PM

hi

like wat wisteria & bbreath suggested, it may be a good idea to save your basil now by quickly doing stem cutting before the rot destroy ur basil plant completely.
u can plonk ur stem cuttings into the water to encourage root growth or repot the cuttings.

maybe ur existing pot does not have good drainage which causes the rot...

good luck ya !

#8 User is offline   Wisteria 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 24 August 2009 - 02:10 PM

View Postnewtogardening, on Aug 24 2009, 01:08 PM, said:

Yes! I did.. moist soil and under full afternoon sun.. oh dear. I thought that is what they like! :(/>

Basil that's grown in a hot planting area needs frequent watering to keep the leaves looking good. If the soil has very good drainage, basil can withstand thunderstorm better than over exposure to direct sun.

Since you had to manually drain out the water after the heavy downpour, I guess the likely problem in this case is the poor drainage quality of the potting mix. If the soil is well-drained, the excess rainwater will drain out quickly automatically.

This post has been edited by Wisteria: 24 August 2009 - 03:39 PM

#9 User is offline   xbliss 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 24 August 2009 - 04:21 PM

don't panic. :)/>

I just received fresh cuttings from a kind member. they measured about 10cm for the tallest cutting. I put them in water, less than 5 days, all rooted. The roots grow very fast too. So just do a cutting and dunk into water.

#10 User is offline   tin 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 24 August 2009 - 05:15 PM

View PostWisteria, on Aug 24 2009, 02:10 PM, said:

Basil that's grown in a hot planting area needs frequent watering to keep the leaves looking good.

Now that you have mentioned this, Wisteria, I am wondering if that's the reason why my basil will always produce some crinkled leaves. The plant looks healthy otherwise, but it's getting the hot afternoon sun, is that why some of its leaves are crinkled?

#11 User is offline   newtogardening 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 24 August 2009 - 05:54 PM

Dear all, thanks for your kind tips and comments.

I have taken stem cuttings and will retry again again. The scary thing actually is.. i grow all my basils.. Thai Basil, Red Basil and Cinnamon Basils in the same soil mix!

I better go repot them... :)/>

Thanks again!

#12 User is offline   Wisteria 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 24 August 2009 - 06:40 PM

View Posttin, on Aug 24 2009, 05:15 PM, said:

Now that you have mentioned this, Wisteria, I am wondering if that's the reason why my basil will always produce some crinkled leaves. The plant looks healthy otherwise, but it's getting the hot afternoon sun, is that why some of its leaves are crinkled?

Hi tin

The basil I last planted was sweet basil. When they were seedlings, I grew them in pots that were placed in the covered patio. The leaves looked very nice (flat & not curled up). I later transplanted them to the ground & they received full day sun outdoors. The leaves began to curl up slightly due to the heat. If there's continuous rain on consecutive days, the new leaves would be flat again. My 3 plants totally dried up during the recent heatwave despite being watered frequently.

#13 User is offline   tin 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 24 August 2009 - 08:14 PM

Thks, wisteria. I'm gonna move it to a place with bright shade and see how it does there.

#14 User is offline   newtogardening 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 25 August 2009 - 06:01 PM

Hi Tin,

Just my own 2 cents worth of opinions..

Actually, I had a similar problem before.. I find that my basils are quite yellow and yes.. sometimes even curled up. Previously, I asked in another thread why the colour of my leaves are so light and I found that it is due to insufficient sun.

http://www.greenculturesg.com/forum/index....showtopic=16972

So far, I have grown 4 types of basil - Cinnamon, Thai, Red and the regular types of basil.

I tried growing them under bright shade - all of them seems ok, flat leaves, except for the regular basil (Don't know the name but it is the kind I would put into my pasta)

Then, I moved all into the sunny part of my balcony, which gets the full sun (no shade) from noon onwards. I usually move them in when it rains so they don't get the rain, just daily watering

I find that with full sun and daily watering, all my basils had flat leaves and were a little greener than under partial shade.

But then you know the story, the basils got under the rain for 2 days and my regular basils rotted away. But my other basils are fine.

Which is making me wonder why these regular basils are so hard to please.. haha.. (These are the ones I got from cold storage, in a little pot).

#15 User is offline   Wisteria 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 25 August 2009 - 06:13 PM

The potted basil from Cold Storage should be sweet basil.

#16 User is offline   tin 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 25 August 2009 - 06:15 PM

Thks for sharing, NTG. Yup, so hard to please hor, but it's also great to be learning and discovering all the time.

Mine does not have the yellow leaves, just the curly ones (not all, just some) that got me wondering. I guess they get enough sun, but perhaps the irregular watering (I'm guilty of withholding watering until the pot is very dry for fear of drowning it) and hence causing dryness at some times resulting in some batches of leaves turning out curly.

#17 User is offline   newtogardening 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 26 August 2009 - 05:31 PM

No problem Tin. Actually, I'm kind of always asking question only but hehe.. as I get more "experience" (mostly negative ones though).. is nice to be able to share.

Sweet basil, yes, I think you are right. Thanks Wisteria as usual. BTW your blue pea and hibiscus (from seed) are growing very well.. :)/>

#18 User is offline   Wisteria 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 26 August 2009 - 08:25 PM

SB, that's really great. Most people who got the hibiscus seeds from me are much better hibiscus growers compared to me. I'm waiting for both pink & white hibiscus to flower on the same day so that I can cross-pollinate them.

The sweet basil seeds I sowed 3 days ago have germinated. 2 plants will be sufficient since I actually don't eat basil.

#19 User is offline   newtogardening 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 28 August 2009 - 02:08 PM

Oh.. you don't eat basil.. wah.. but they are so nice in pasta and pizza.. I also like to fry mine with eggs sometimes.. or with meat (for thai basil).

I actually don't know what to do with my cinnamon basils, except steep them in hot water for a cup of tea.

Actually, that's why I like to grow plants.. cos I like to eat them.. hehe. I made some kueh with the blue pea flowers (whose seeds I got from you). Quite fun to see the colour. Natural food dye!

#20 User is offline   waiting 

• PipPip

Posted 09 October 2009 - 05:50 PM

Hi, newtogardening, i had similar problem with my previous basils. They don't like water logged medium as mentioned by other members. Once, in my frustration that my basil was having stem rot again, I removed it from the peat+clay+ pearlite medium (came with the plant )and dunk the plant in volcanic pebbles meant for hydroponic. and that plant survived and thriving now.

Guess if one is watering daily, it's best not to place too much clay/peat in the medium, adding gravels/pebbles upto 50% of the potting mix may help in drainage

waiting

This post has been edited by waiting: 09 October 2009 - 05:53 PM

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users