Spider Mites on Gerbera

#1 User is offline   wilson 

• Founder
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Root Admin
  • Interests:Back to edibles...

Posted 19 September 2005 - 12:45 PM

Hi All,

It appears that Gerbera is a spider mite attractant. What do you do to get rid of the mites, especially its grown indoors???

Miticides are quite toxic, as far as I know...

Wilson

#2 User is offline   islaverde 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:tree ferns, orchids, mosses, fragrant plants, anthuriums, alocasias, xanthosomas, monsteras, philodendrons, tropical america flora, heliconias, gingers, calatheas, creepers, forest ecology

Posted 19 September 2005 - 02:18 PM

Well, assuming that the plant is healthy.

Turn up the humidity, have air circulation (contradictory I know).

Soak the plant (pot and all) in a big pail of water mixed with a drop or 2 of household dishwashing liquid. How long? Just enough for the critters to drown.

Or: bring the pots to your bathroom and turn on the shower; blasting the critters from the undersides of the leaves.

Or: try the painful slow method of wiping the undersides of each leaf (well gerberas have crinkled leaves and that makes wiping difficult) with denatured alcohol.

Or: Throw the plant away. You don't want to have spider mites become a resident at your house.

#3 User is offline   luckyboy 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 20 September 2005 - 10:08 AM

Hi Wilson

I would recommend that you soak the plant in a pail of water mixed with diluted dishwashing liquid. It would be advisable to increase humidity and air circulation in your growing area. Thanks.

Cheers
Sean

#4 User is offline   boonboon 

• Associate Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators
  • Interests:Roses, Orchids, Cacti and Succulents, Gesneriads, Fragrant Plants etc

Posted 20 September 2005 - 11:51 AM

Spring65 said:

After that the leaves look fresh & shiny - pest free for weeks to months!!!

Wilson - Why not you bring your plant to Spring65 and collect it when the leaves have looked fresh and shiny after the treatment?

Spring65 - How much do you charge per plant? Next time, I can send my roses over for a similar treatment :grin: :hehe:

#5 User is offline   islaverde 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:tree ferns, orchids, mosses, fragrant plants, anthuriums, alocasias, xanthosomas, monsteras, philodendrons, tropical america flora, heliconias, gingers, calatheas, creepers, forest ecology

Posted 20 September 2005 - 12:59 PM

Hmm, how do you define 'indoor plants'. OK, perhaps trees are excluded. Deep tissue cleansing... would our plants walk out with blemished leaves as a result of your treatment? do you offer money back guarantee?

#6 User is offline   noodle 

• Associate Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Associate Member
  • Interests:Growing phalaenopsis, paphiopedilum, small orchids or blue/ white orchids or anything that catch my fancy :-)

http://www.friendster.com/orchidophile
    http://members.gardenweb.com/members/noodle
    http://community.webshots.com/user/phalaenopsis_lover

Posted 20 September 2005 - 07:39 PM

If the infection is not heavy I wld advise u to use Mama lemon soap to wip it off then spray the shultz that is sold in IKEA also spray a bitadvise a bit of fungicide to let ithe insecticide to stay longer... :grin: :smile:
Cheers!
Ian

#7 User is offline   bluefly 

• Associate Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Associate Member

Posted 23 September 2005 - 01:56 AM

If you find insecticide, water or Mama lemon soap are not effective. Perhaps you might want to consider using FIRE. Just a few sheets of old newspapers will do. The tiny mites will be killed instantly when in contact with flash fire.

BF

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users