GCS Forum: Platycerium ridleyii propagation [Image intensive] - GCS Forum

• 3 Pages +

Platycerium ridleyii propagation [Image intensive]

#41 User is offline   myherb 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Herbs, fragrant plants, jewel orchids, ferns-platycerium.

Posted 25 September 2009 - 12:09 PM

View PostWetFinger, on Sep 25 2009, 11:01 AM, said:

... and that's quite a list!!! Looks like you've gone beyond the known 18 species and more. Are these all mature plants and how many species are being propagated (besides the ridleyi)?

Since nobody asked, I'm going to be thick-skinned and request if you have any P. quadridichotomum spores to sell. Yeah, this is a challenging species and not a beginner' plant I heard. Still, I'm game to try propagating them if the opportunity allows. Let me know via PM if appropriate. Thanks!

I'm also wondering your P. alcicorne, which I presume is the Madagascar form but isn't P. alcicone vessai and P. vassei the same plant (both alcicorne African form)?

Cheers,
Ronnie

Hi wetfinger,

The list are the species being propagated from spores, I am out of quadridichotomum spores but you can buy it from Apodagis at US$15. pack.

yes it is expensive and you have to have some luck too. Some spores just remain as a green carpet and do not grow to the true fronds stage. I have read in the Roy vail book
that the record is 6 years. long time. Vitamin B1 might help. It is tricky too much light/water you get algae and too little light it get fungus.

Yes some are same plant different names but you never know what you gonna get. That one reason why i like to propagate from spores/seeds.
btw I've heard some seller do that selling two kind of spores from one plant.

#42 User is offline   myherb 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 25 September 2009 - 08:27 PM

[quote name='myherb' date='Sep 25 2009, 12:09 PM' post='232604']

I am out of quadridichotomum spores but you can buy it from Apodagis at US$15. pack.

Oh I forget to add. The quadridichotomum spores from Apodagis is good and has been tested by me. It should germinate in 47 days.
Hope this info help.

#43 User is offline   WetFinger 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 26 September 2009 - 02:52 AM

View Postmyherb, on Sep 25 2009, 12:09 PM, said:

The list are the species being propagated from spores
Huh??? You mean the entire list??? Do you maintain a progress log or perhaps wrote sow dates on your boxes? That way, from observation, you'd be able to tell which species germinates or reach sporophyte stage sooner.

For the quadridichotomum's germination, which page of Roy Vail's book and thanks for the favorable feedback on Apodagis. Probably order a pack or two to test.

Cheers,
Ronnie

#44 User is offline   myherb 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 26 September 2009 - 09:48 AM

View PostWetFinger, on Sep 26 2009, 02:52 AM, said:

Huh??? You mean the entire list??? Do you maintain a progress log or perhaps wrote sow dates on your boxes? That way, from observation, you'd be able to tell which species germinates or reach sporophyte stage sooner.

For the quadridichotomum's germination, which page of Roy Vail's book and thanks for the favorable feedback on Apodagis. Probably order a pack or two to test.

Cheers,
Ronnie

I have two mature p.coronarium which I purchase on the way to Kuantan more than 10years ago. I started on to spores when one day strange brown stuff falls onto my head.
The pages on spore culture (Roy Vail-pages 35-41) are very general, it don't tell about species (quadridichotomum) germination in fact you learn more from Shawnintland, well at least i did.
My log on my boxes are the date that spores are sown, species and where the spores are from. I also have on record as to when the spores get germinated (green carpet) Some species don't have green carpets and some I purchase earlier I believe are just common garden ferns and not even the actual stuff being advertised. lol you never know what you are gonna get. But most of the spores I now germinate are GIVEN by a friend in the US which are pretty much "spot on".
Really seems like a crazy thing to propagate so many but for the moment I have the time and space so why not lol.

#45 User is offline   WetFinger 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 03 November 2009 - 12:05 PM

Hi all,
It's been a while but I'm glad that most of the sporelings in grow-out boxes are doing ok despite a large dose of benign neglect. Some did crashed for reasons yet unknown to me... no algae or media drying out, etc.

Anyway... a couple of pics to share.

This is the largest sporeling from the first batch and growing in the de-com'ed aquarium. Approximately 2 inches in diameter and 1 inch tall. Should be able to 'harden' soon.
http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t100/WetFingers/plants/Platycerium/ridleyi%20growout/ridleyiiTank_091103a.jpg

Two more take-out boxes...
http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t100/WetFingers/plants/Platycerium/ridleyi%20growout/ridleyii_091103c.jpg

Getting crowded... I really should start transferring these to larger containers.
http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t100/WetFingers/plants/Platycerium/ridleyi%20growout/ridleyii_091103e.jpg

...and I've not even looked into boxes sown much later but at last glance, these are still a green sheen.

Hope the other 'crazy folks' are progressing along fine.

Cheers!!
Ronnie

#46 User is offline   pino 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 03 November 2009 - 02:01 PM

nice stuff...........

#47 User is offline   nst 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 03 November 2009 - 10:42 PM

When did you sow the spores ? Going by your first post, it's only been ~9 months and to have 2-inch wide sporelings is really fast. My coronariums took almost 2 years to get to that size. Still trying to find the time to graduate them from the plastic fish tank greenhouse they are sitting in now. Could be that ridleyiis are just faster. I bought some ridleyii spore from siamplatycerium and those have germinated really fast, too. Hopefully they will have better survival rate too.

#48 User is offline   Rockgarden 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 10 November 2009 - 10:01 PM

http://www.greenculturesg.com/forum/public/style_images/master/snapback.png' alt='View Post' />WetFinger, on Nov 3 2009, 12:05 PM, said:

...and I've not even looked into boxes sown much later but at last glance, these are still a green sheen.

Hope the other 'crazy folks' are progressing along fine.

Cheers!!
Ronnie

Hey Wet Finger....how come mine is still brown and black??? nothing green is showing???? :unsure:/>

#49 User is offline   WetFinger 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 10 November 2009 - 11:24 PM

View PostRockgarden, on Nov 10 2009, 10:01 PM, said:

...how come mine is still brown and black???
urm... that's because you're still looking at peat!! :hysterical:/>

Then again, my wandae germination box is no different from yours! :rolleyes:/>

#50 User is offline   myherb 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 08 January 2010 - 05:38 PM

Here is picture to share. They are coronarium and ridleys. The coronarium (front)are slightly bigger because they are sow earlier. I think both ridleyi and coronarium grow about the same rate. I find that both do germinate quickly though as compare with other species.

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee30/adfoo/babystags/ridleyi3pots.jpg

View Postnst, on Nov 3 2009, 10:42 PM, said:

When did you sow the spores ? Going by your first post, it's only been ~9 months and to have 2-inch wide sporelings is really fast. My coronariums took almost 2 years to get to that size. Still trying to find the time to graduate them from the plastic fish tank greenhouse they are sitting in now. Could be that ridleyiis are just faster. I bought some ridleyii spore from siamplatycerium and those have germinated really fast, too. Hopefully they will have better survival rate too.

#51 User is offline   Dnn 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 08 January 2010 - 05:58 PM

Congratulations myherb! You have succeeded with the Coronarium and Ridleyii. You sure have patience and the determination. It has paid off with the result I see.

#52 User is offline   myherb 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 08 January 2010 - 08:17 PM

Thanks Dnn, So far so good. Also pleased with my Ellisii.

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee30/adfoo/babystags/PICT6180.jpg

#53 User is offline   pino 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 09 January 2010 - 10:37 AM

you guys are really really patient with that......... :notworthy:/> :notworthy:/> :notworthy:/> :notworthy:/>
i am only interested in mature plants...
btw, my platycerium ellisii been growing plenty of pups.

#54 User is offline   Julian 

• PipPip

Posted 29 April 2015 - 08:36 AM

Any updates of the platys. ..it's been 5 yrs...they should be all grown out by now.

#55 User is offline   WetFinger 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 03 June 2015 - 06:47 PM

View PostJulian, on 29 April 2015 - 08:36 AM, said:

Any updates of the platys. ..it's been 5 yrs...they should be all grown out by now.
Life throws very hard curved balls when one least expects it.

Lost all the plantlets through neglect while refocusing on other priorities and thankful to still have some P. elephantotis, ridleyii and veitchii to hold my interest. Not keeping a whole lot these days but recently did acquired some new ones; superbum, Mt Kitshakood and coronarium cross. Hopeful to keep the superbum alive longer this time.

Don't think I'll go into propagating from spores anytime soon *shivers* since I've got my fingers wet!!

#56 User is offline   Opus 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Houseplants, pet birds, carp (koi) fish

Posted 17 February 2016 - 04:53 PM

This post has been edited by Opus: 17 February 2016 - 08:49 PM

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users