GCS Forum: Thaumatococcus Daniellii Problem - GCS Forum

• 2 Pages +

Thaumatococcus Daniellii Problem

#1 User is offline   wmeng72 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 12 June 2009 - 06:07 PM

I noticed my plant having more and more leaves turning brown, some at the tips (even under full shade); this could be attributed to wind burn and cannot be 100% avoided if placed outdoor.

However, one of my pots has the leaves turning brown and curling up.

I am not quite sure what is wrong, I mist it and water it everyday.

Some of the leaves that I cut away
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a359/wmeng72/Plants/P1010669.jpg

The curling of the leaves
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a359/wmeng72/Plants/P1010672.jpg

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a359/wmeng72/Plants/P1010671.jpg

Could someone advice me what i should do? Thanks!!

#2 User is offline   Grandiflora 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 12 June 2009 - 06:16 PM

Calathea?

#3 User is offline   Yetat 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 12 June 2009 - 10:40 PM

View Postwmeng72, on Jun 12 2009, 06:07 PM, said:

I noticed my plant having more and more leaves turning brown, some at the tips (even under full shade); this could be attributed to wind burn and cannot be 100% avoided if placed outdoor.

However, one of my pots has the leaves turning brown and curling up.

I am not quite sure what is wrong, I mist it and water it everyday.

Could someone advice me what i should do? Thanks!!

Wind Burn? Do you mean that the currently location you place your plant is very windly?

Trim off the brown edge, place it in those "pebble tray" and group this plant together with other plants, also if possible, place this pot into a bigger pot and line the bigger pot with sphagnum moss and wet the sphagnum moss periodically to increase humidity.

I personally find misting a plant as a means of "prevention" rather than cure, if symptons already happen, don't mist as it increase the chances/invite a fungal infection.

Misting does very little to increase humidity. May I know whether you use room temperature water or those slightly warm(luke warm) water to mist the plant?

#4 User is offline   wmeng72 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 13 June 2009 - 11:04 AM

View PostYetat, on Jun 12 2009, 10:40 PM, said:

Wind Burn? Do you mean that the currently location you place your plant is very windly?

Trim off the brown edge, place it in those "pebble tray" and group this plant together with other plants, also if possible, place this pot into a bigger pot and line the bigger pot with sphagnum moss and wet the sphagnum moss periodically to increase humidity.

I personally find misting a plant as a means of "prevention" rather than cure, if symptons already happen, don't mist as it increase the chances/invite a fungal infection.

Misting does very little to increase humidity. May I know whether you use room temperature water or those slightly warm(luke warm) water to mist the plant?

My place is not constantly windy but has the occasional breeze. I use room temperature water and the plants are outdoor. I was could I be overwatering this plant and the browning is a sign of overwatering?

#5 User is offline   Yetat 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 13 June 2009 - 01:17 PM

View Postwmeng72, on Jun 13 2009, 11:04 AM, said:

My place is not constantly windy but has the occasional breeze. I use room temperature water and the plants are outdoor. I was could I be overwatering this plant and the browning is a sign of overwatering?

Browning of the leaf edges is a sign of insufficent humidity not overwatering.

Overwatered plant shows signs of wilting not browning of leaf edge.

#6 User is offline   wmeng72 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 13 June 2009 - 03:24 PM

View PostYetat, on Jun 13 2009, 01:17 PM, said:

Browning of the leaf edges is a sign of insufficent humidity not overwatering.

Overwatered plant shows signs of wilting not browning of leaf edge.

I see... so is the curling up of the leave due to the browning? So your opinion is that I am underwatering my plant or my plant has insufficient moisture which leads to this browning?

Thank you :)/>

#7 User is offline   Yetat 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 13 June 2009 - 03:45 PM

View Postwmeng72, on Jun 13 2009, 03:24 PM, said:

I see... so is the curling up of the leave due to the browning? So your opinion is that I am underwatering my plant or my plant has insufficient moisture which leads to this browning?

Thank you :)/>

Insufficent humidity.

As both underwatering and overwatering cause wilting.

The concept of misting is that a layer of water will be form on the leaves, which will reduce the transpiration of water from the leaves. However, soon after misting, the water will evaporate, and once this occurs, the air is once again low in humidity. So it is better to use those slight warm water to mist to be effective.

Damage from dryness (low humidity): New leaves and leaf tips are the area of the plant with the most actively growing cells, and these cells are the most susceptible to dry air. Thus most of the time when humidity is low, new leaves and leaves tip will result into browning and in this case as shown in the image you attached.

#8 User is offline   Xmen2 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 13 June 2009 - 04:03 PM

my guess is it could be due to sun burn, my T. daniellii leaves show similar symptom as yours, but not as serious as yours, most of the leaves have the brown edge, i plant them in the gound, as i didn't know what they are when i bought them ... then later i did some research and realised that T. daniellii grow better under semi-shade, if they are exposed to direct sunlight, the leaves will get burnt ...

they need a lot of water, so no need to worry about overwatering, i used to water them everyday, but now i am quite lazy and since they are on the ground, i assume they can suck water from underground, so i water them like one a week or so :hysterical:/> ... once established, they are quite tough and don't need much care ...

so maybe u try leave them indoor for a while and see whether the situation improves or not :D/>

#9 User is offline   wmeng72 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 13 June 2009 - 04:41 PM

Thanks Xmen2 and Yetat for your replies.

I will put them out of direct sunlight and see how it progresses....

Thanks again!

#10 User is offline   wmeng72 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 13 June 2009 - 04:43 PM

View PostYetat, on Jun 13 2009, 03:45 PM, said:

Insufficent humidity.

As both underwatering and overwatering cause wilting.

The concept of misting is that a layer of water will be form on the leaves, which will reduce the transpiration of water from the leaves. However, soon after misting, the water will evaporate, and once this occurs, the air is once again low in humidity. So it is better to use those slight warm water to mist to be effective.

Damage from dryness (low humidity): New leaves and leaf tips are the area of the plant with the most actively growing cells, and these cells are the most susceptible to dry air. Thus most of the time when humidity is low, new leaves and leaves tip will result into browning and in this case as shown in the image you attached.

Generally, i thought sgp's humidity was around the 75% mark, is this still to low? I was thinkng also misting around the area of the plant would help increase the humidity. I guess i was wrong :hitmyself:/>

So are there some ways to improve humidity? Maybe clustering plants together etc?

#11 User is offline   Yetat 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 13 June 2009 - 05:28 PM

The humdity inside a plant is 100%...

Trim off the brown edge, place it in those "pebble tray" and place this pot into a bigger pot and line the bigger pot with sphagnum moss and wet the sphagnum moss periodically to increase humidity.

Regarding the plant humidity needs, I only knows that it require high humidity, how high, I'm not sure.

Clustering is only effective if the clustered plants have the same humidity requirements. Try to keep it away from draft too.

Hmm, am I right to say that majority of the leaves exhibiting such problems is those "younger/newer" leaves?

View Postwmeng72, on Jun 12 2009, 06:07 PM, said:

I noticed my plant having more and more leaves turning brown, some at the tips (even under full shade);

Correct me if I'm wrong. Am I right to says that the symptoms still happen even under full shade based on your first sentence.

This post has been edited by Yetat: 13 June 2009 - 05:33 PM

#12 User is offline   wmeng72 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 14 June 2009 - 10:28 PM

View PostYetat, on Jun 13 2009, 05:28 PM, said:

Correct me if I'm wrong. Am I right to says that the symptoms still happen even under full shade based on your first sentence.

Yes, that is correct. I also just notice today that a light brown circle starting from the centre of the leave. The colour is light brown, like those curled leaves shown in my pics, not the typical burnt brown edges. Is this some sort of fungal diesease or other problem?

#13 User is offline   wmeng72 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 14 June 2009 - 10:29 PM

View PostYetat, on Jun 13 2009, 05:28 PM, said:

Hmm, am I right to say that majority of the leaves exhibiting such problems is those "younger/newer" leaves?

I am afraid not, it is not limited to the newer leaves... older leaves are also exhibiting the same symptoms.

#14 User is offline   Yetat 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 14 June 2009 - 10:32 PM

Does those light brown circle bear some similarity to the plant in this thread?

http://www.greenculturesg.com/forum/index....showtopic=18765

Drop some water on the spot. Does the spot expand/turn soggy or is there any other effects when water touches the spot?

This post has been edited by Yetat: 14 June 2009 - 10:35 PM

#15 User is offline   Yetat 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 14 June 2009 - 10:48 PM

View PostGrandiflora, on Jun 12 2009, 06:16 PM, said:

Calathea?

Sorry for the late reply, I guess this quote might sum up:

View Postwilson, on Jan 29 2007, 12:27 PM, said:

Calathea lutea can become quite a large plant, the leaves are much bigger than Thaumatococcus. The interesting thing is C. lutea's leaves are silvery on the underside. The flowers are brown cigar-shaped which rise above the ground unlike the Thaumatococcus' which are near the ground. C. lutea can take more sun, in fact, full sun when gradually acclaimatised.

#16 User is offline   wmeng72 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 15 June 2009 - 07:33 PM

View PostYetat, on Jun 14 2009, 10:32 PM, said:

Does those light brown circle bear some similarity to the plant in this thread?

http://www.greenculturesg.com/forum/index....showtopic=18765

Drop some water on the spot. Does the spot expand/turn soggy or is there any other effects when water touches the spot?

Nothing at all, it looks 'waxy' and it does not expand or turn soggy. Here are more close up pics

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a359/wmeng72/Plants/P1010686.jpg

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a359/wmeng72/Plants/P1010687.jpg

#17 User is offline   Yetat 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 15 June 2009 - 08:05 PM

What time of the day, do you water the plant?

#18 User is offline   wmeng72 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 15 June 2009 - 10:03 PM

View PostYetat, on Jun 15 2009, 08:05 PM, said:

What time of the day, do you water the plant?

I water in the evening (around 5pm), sometimes if i work late, at night...

#19 User is offline   wmeng72 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 19 June 2009 - 08:00 PM

Another pot is also having problems as well, this does not look like scorch because one of the pots that I have get the same amount of sun but does not have this problem

Problematic leaves cut off
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a359/wmeng72/Plants/P1010692.jpg

Close-up of the cut leaves
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a359/wmeng72/Plants/P1010693.jpg

Close -up of the leaf still on the plant
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a359/wmeng72/Plants/P1010694.jpg

What is left of the plant :(/>
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a359/wmeng72/Plants/P1010695-1.jpg

Is this root rot or some sort of disease? Thanks...

#20 User is offline   TALOS 

• Registered Merchant
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Registered Merchant

Posted 19 June 2009 - 09:56 PM

your pot is too small to contain the entire clump of thaumatococcus.
this plant can take full sun and grow well as long as there is sufficient water.
grow it in a bigger pot so that there will be more soil that can contain water.
it is not so much a question of humidity cos we are a tropical country so our humidity is high.
thaumoatococcus is a hardy and some even consider a weedy plant.

your problem is likely that the plant is root/ pot bound.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users