GCS Forum: Something is eating the leave - GCS Forum

Jump to content

Page 1 of 1

Something is eating the leave

#1 User is offline   SweeYeow 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 136
  • Joined: 18-May 09
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Telok Kurau

Posted 01 June 2009 - 03:15 PM

http://i637.photobucket.com/albums/uu94/limsweeyeow/DSCN1599Large.jpg

Need help :

1. What is the ID of this plant ?

2. Something is eating away the leave, but cannot find anything around there ?

Thanks in advenced !

Best regards,
SY
0

#2 User is offline   Yetat 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 155
  • Joined: 21-February 09
  • Gender:Male

Posted 02 June 2009 - 05:46 PM

http://www.greenculturesg.com/forum/public/style_images/master/snapback.png' alt='View Post' />SweeYeow, on Jun 1 2009, 03:15 PM, said:


Need help :

2. Something is eating away the leave, but cannot find anything around there ?

Thanks in advenced !

Best regards,
SY


Try placing slug baits around the plant.

Or get those "crawling insects powders" and sprinkle it around the area where the plants are.

Also, you can leave traps around. For example, used those matchboxes and left it slightly open and filled with litter such as straw/leaves and check these each morning.
0

#3 User is offline   SweeYeow 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 136
  • Joined: 18-May 09
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Telok Kurau

Posted 02 June 2009 - 11:08 PM

View PostYetat, on Jun 2 2009, 05:46 PM, said:

Try placing slug baits around the plant.

Or get those "crawling insects powders" and sprinkle it around the area where the plants are.

Also, you can leave traps around. For example, used those matchboxes and left it slightly open and filled with litter such as straw/leaves and check these each morning.


Hi Yetat, thank you for the pointers ! Will figure out how to proceed from here.

Is "crawling insects powders" available in nursery ?

Anyone know the name of the following plant ? I will be satisfied with just its common name, not necessary its detail ID. Please help.

http://i637.photobucket.com/albums/uu94/limsweeyeow/DSCN1562Large.jpg

Best regards,
SY
0

#4 User is offline   Green Baron 

  • Advance Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 4126
  • Joined: 11-February 06
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:West Coast

Posted 03 June 2009 - 07:48 AM

SY,
The leaves are most likely eaten by hawkmoth caterpillar and look something like this -
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v257/greenbaron/Plants/disease-pest/Eupanacraelegantulus-20090521_1787-.jpg

This particular caterpillar is a common garden pest, feeds on plants from the Araceae family such as Anthurium, Alocasia, Colocasia, Philodendron etc.

From the look of the eaten leaves I think the caterpillar has already burrowed into the ground to pupate.

Next time if you see any caterpillar with a tail like the photo above, please msg me and I will adopt it.
0

#5 User is offline   SweeYeow 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 136
  • Joined: 18-May 09
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Telok Kurau

Posted 03 June 2009 - 04:17 PM

View PostGreen Baron, on Jun 3 2009, 07:48 AM, said:

SY,
The leaves are most likely eaten by hawkmoth caterpillar and look something like this -
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v257/greenbaron/Plants/disease-pest/Eupanacraelegantulus-20090521_1787-.jpg

This particular caterpillar is a common garden pest, feeds on plants from the Araceae family such as Anthurium, Alocasia, Colocasia, Philodendron etc.

From the look of the eaten leaves I think the caterpillar has already burrowed into the ground to pupate.

Next time if you see any caterpillar with a tail like the photo above, please msg me and I will adopt it.


Thanks GB,

Recently there are many caterpillars in my garden, feeding on my arrowhead plants. They are whole body green color and I ever found one grow to over 4" long. My kois like them very much.

Ok, I will msg you if I ever spot any caterpillar similar to you photo.

Cheers,
0

#6 User is offline   Yetat 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 155
  • Joined: 21-February 09
  • Gender:Male

Posted 03 June 2009 - 04:26 PM

View PostSweeYeow, on Jun 2 2009, 11:08 PM, said:

Hi Yetat, thank you for the pointers ! Will figure out how to proceed from here.

Is "crawling insects powders" available in nursery ?


since it is just catepillar, I don't think you need that, that is mostly for "nightcrawlers" and related insects.

i used that as a general term for powder that are sprinkle around to deal with slugs, snails etc.

This post has been edited by Yetat: 03 June 2009 - 04:28 PM

0

#7 User is offline   SweeYeow 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 136
  • Joined: 18-May 09
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Telok Kurau

Posted 04 June 2009 - 05:39 PM

View PostYetat, on Jun 3 2009, 04:26 PM, said:

since it is just catepillar, I don't think you need that, that is mostly for "nightcrawlers" and related insects.

i used that as a general term for powder that are sprinkle around to deal with slugs, snails etc.


Not confirm as caterpillar yet. I still cannot find any suspect around the area, althought I caught many caterpillars on my arrowhwad plants.

Anyway, I will probably go and get powder from nursery and try out.

Thank you !

Best regards,
SY
0

#8 User is offline   PlantWerkz 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 54
  • Joined: 28-April 09
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Singapore

Posted 04 June 2009 - 07:42 PM

I think the plant is Philodendron erubescens 'Gold'

http://floraweb.nparks.gov.sg/search/viewD...31525&key=6
0

#9 User is offline   SweeYeow 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 136
  • Joined: 18-May 09
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Telok Kurau

Posted 04 June 2009 - 07:56 PM

View PostPlantWerkz, on Jun 4 2009, 07:42 PM, said:

I think the plant is Philodendron erubescens 'Gold'

http://floraweb.nparks.gov.sg/search/viewD...31525&key=6


Hi PlantWerkz, thank you very much ! From the picture, it looked exactly.

At the pont when I thought I am not going to get any answer, and you appears with this great answer. From the picture, it looked exactly like my plant. :notworthy:/> :rolleyes:/>

Cheers,
SY
0

Share this topic:


Page 1 of 1

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users