GCS Forum: My Arrow-head Plant - GCS Forum

Page 1 of 1

My Arrow-head Plant

#1 User is offline   SweeYeow 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 27 May 2009 - 10:15 AM

I grow this plant for last few years. The one showed in the picture is not the original plant, it is the grand grand child of the original plant.

The plant is put in the pot with pebble (just to support the plant) and let pond water running throught it continuously. This plant is really grow fast, it can grow from 1' to 5' tall within a couples of months.

When I bought this plant, I was told that it is a arrow-head plant. Later, some friends told me it is a yam tree. Can anyone tell me is it the same yam that we buy from market ? Edible ?

http://i637.photobucket.com/albums/uu94/limsweeyeow/DSCN1527Large.jpg

best regards,
SY

#2 User is offline   exotic n easy 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:nature, tradition, theosophy, art, creation, design...

Posted 26 June 2009 - 06:08 PM

hi SweeYeow,

the plant is Alocasia macrorrhiza, or elephant's ear. It is a relative to the edible yam, both belonging to the family of Araceae. It is not advised for consumption, although it's corm is edible, because of its toxicity. It is safe for eating only after very prolonged cooking. Undercooked corms can cause swelling in mouth, tongue and throat, much similar to poisoning caused by dumbcane, another plant of the same family.

Both the commercial yam(Colocasia esculenta) and elephant's ear(Alocasia macrorrhiza) looks extremely similar, but the commercial yam is a far smaller with smaller leaves with frosted or matt surface that points downwards, while the elephnat's ear has far larger leaves that have a glossy surface that points outwards.

Both commercial yam and elephant's ear are aquatic marginal shrubs, not trees, as they do not have tall woody trunks. they are also not related to the arrow head plant(Sagittaria sagittifolia).

I suggest that you may sink the plant in the water feature so that the water level is just slightly over the rim of the pot. If the water feature is too deep you may prop the pot with bricks placed underneath. that will put the plant off the need for repotting(but that will still keep it to from getting any taller), thus reduce its maintenance needs. The place it is in now may then be used to grow pandan plants or any other aquatic marginal plants, therby eliminating the need to water them.

sorry for the long post
happy growing.....

This post has been edited by exotic n easy: 26 June 2009 - 06:37 PM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users