Page 1 of 1

Corn Plant / Cornstalk Plant / Iron Tree Propagation

#1 User is offline   wmeng72 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 08 April 2009 - 11:08 PM

Hi,

THis is one question i always wanted to ask. I checked around the web and found air rooting or cutting the long corn plant to replant as the main ways.

The conundrum is if i cut the main stalk (the one i bought from a nursery, which normally come in 3s of differing heights), the main 'source' get shorter since corn plants never grow taller (the main stalk i mean)? Only the 'shoots' grow in reality. So techincally, there is no way for me to get the thick corn stalk plant to propagate.

Yes, I have seem some huge corn plants growing in the ground in some places, is this the only way to get these 'thick' stalks for replant? I mean where do all these nursery get all these thick source stalks from?

#2 User is offline   Boon-kun 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Plants lol.

Posted 09 April 2009 - 09:41 PM

Hi, the only way I know to propagate corn is by seeds (kernals). What is your question regarding Iron trees?

#3 User is offline   Abby Lim 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:All plants, Bonsai & cooking

Posted 09 April 2009 - 10:01 PM

View PostBoon-kun, on Apr 9 2009, 09:41 PM, said:

Hi, the only way I know to propagate corn is by seeds (kernals). What is your question regarding Iron trees?

If you grow it longer, the new shoot will grow thick too.

#4 User is offline   wmeng72 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 09 April 2009 - 11:16 PM

View PostBoon-kun, on Apr 9 2009, 09:41 PM, said:

Sorry, iron tree was a misnomer.. i actually meant corn plant :)/>

#5 User is offline   Yetat 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 10 April 2009 - 07:35 AM

View Postwmeng72, on Apr 8 2009, 11:08 PM, said:

Hi,

So techincally, there is no way for me to get the thick corn stalk plant to propagate.

Yes, I have seem some huge corn plants growing in the ground in some places, is this the only way to get these 'thick' stalks for replant? I mean where do all these nursery get all these thick source stalks from?

Do you mean:
Dracaena fragrans 'Massangeana'
Dracaena deremensis 'Janet Crig'

The common name which is corn stalk plant. This particular species of dracena is very slow growing, so don't expect it's stalk to get "woody" and thick. If it take years for them to flowers, it will also take years for their stem to be thicken like the trunk.

Dracaena fragrans are grown two times: the first time is on farms in Central America (or, once the global economy got really pervasive, anywhere else with an appropriately tropical climate), where canes are periodically harvested and cut to specified lengths (usually two, three or four-foot long pieces). The ends of the cane are then given a quick coat of wax to keep the canes from losing too much water during transport, and then they get shipped to growers where they are stuck in their final containers, the foliage is allowed to resprout, and then they are shipped to retail stores to be purchased by consumers. The staggered-cane style is used because it gives the impression of base-to-top foliage that would be more or less impossible to achieve with single-cane plants, or multiple canes of the same height, since the plants normally drop lower leaves as they grow.

So, the one you seen in the nursery probably has already been grown two times.

#6 User is offline   wmeng72 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 10 April 2009 - 12:25 PM

View PostYetat, on Apr 10 2009, 07:35 AM, said:

Do you mean:
Dracaena fragrans 'Massangeana'
Dracaena deremensis 'Janet Crig'

The common name which is corn stalk plant. This particular species of dracena is very slow growing, so don't expect it's stalk to get "woody" and thick. If it take years for them to flowers, it will also take years for their stem to be thicken like the trunk.

Dracaena fragrans are grown two times: the first time is on farms in Central America (or, once the global economy got really pervasive, anywhere else with an appropriately tropical climate), where canes are periodically harvested and cut to specified lengths (usually two, three or four-foot long pieces). The ends of the cane are then given a quick coat of wax to keep the canes from losing too much water during transport, and then they get shipped to growers where they are stuck in their final containers, the foliage is allowed to resprout, and then they are shipped to retail stores to be purchased by consumers. The staggered-cane style is used because it gives the impression of base-to-top foliage that would be more or less impossible to achieve with single-cane plants, or multiple canes of the same height, since the plants normally drop lower leaves as they grow.

So, the one you seen in the nursery probably has already been grown two times.

Thank you for the detailed information. So i reckon there is no way to propagate this execpt to either buy another plant or wait for an eternity ;)/>

#7 User is offline   rocky 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 10 April 2009 - 12:55 PM

View Postwmeng72, on Apr 9 2009, 11:16 PM, said:

Sorry, iron tree was a misnomer.. i actually meant corn plant :)/>

(Boon-kun @ Apr 9 2009, 09:41 PM) *

so as what Yetat had reply, the plant is Iron Tree in chinese (鐵樹), so this corn stalk plants is NOT equal to corn plants lor :hysterical:/>

for this type of plants, you got no others choice, only can wait till it's side stem grow taller and bigger b4 you can cut it for Propagation as told by my fren as they do plants this, really time consuming to see it grow n flower, hope yours do well in this area.

rocky

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users