GCS Forum: My Chilli Plant Doesn't Bear Fruits - GCS Forum

Page 1 of 1

My Chilli Plant Doesn't Bear Fruits

#1 User is offline   Jermz 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 06 April 2009 - 11:12 PM

Can anybody help me on this? My chilli plant (not chilli padi) is flowering...but the flowers dropped before it could bear chillies. What's the problem? My plants are situated along the corridor and has plenty of sunlight throughout the day.

#2 User is offline   kelmund 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 06 April 2009 - 11:31 PM

View PostJermz, on Apr 6 2009, 11:12 PM, said:

Can anybody help me on this? My chilli plant (not chilli padi) is flowering...but the flowers dropped before it could bear chillies. What's the problem? My plants are situated along the corridor and has plenty of sunlight throughout the day.

nutrient deficiency esp K (potassium) or Ca+

#3 User is offline   pot2wok 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 07 April 2009 - 09:51 AM

am no expert, but maybe the flowers were not pollinated? no harm trying to hand pollinate if the insects don't visit ur chillis. u can use ur fingertips or a small brush. pick up the pollen from one flower and transfer to another. do this for all the flowers. if it's a poliination problem, this should do it. oh, and dun forget to fert the plant. i use sheep dung. since i'm going to eat the chillis, didn't want to use anything that contains chemicals.
good luck!

#4 User is offline   Serene 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Episcias, sinningias, achimenes ,orchids and edibles

Posted 07 April 2009 - 10:13 AM

Try to water twice a day, chilli needs lots of water.

Serene

#5 User is offline   Boon-kun 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Plants lol.

Posted 08 April 2009 - 07:19 PM

well it doesnt matter if you use chemical or organic fertiliser for crop plants. plants absorb only nutrients which are broken down into inorganic compounds. unless you hold pro-organic views, chemical fert is more efficient.

#6 User is offline   Jermz 

• PipPip

Posted 11 April 2009 - 12:54 AM

View Postpot2wok, on Apr 7 2009, 09:51 AM, said:

am no expert, but maybe the flowers were not pollinated? no harm trying to hand pollinate if the insects don't visit ur chillis. u can use ur fingertips or a small brush. pick up the pollen from one flower and transfer to another. do this for all the flowers. if it's a poliination problem, this should do it. oh, and dun forget to fert the plant. i use sheep dung. since i'm going to eat the chillis, didn't want to use anything that contains chemicals.
good luck!

hand pollination? I tot chilli flowers are both male and female together?

#7 User is offline   Wisteria 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 11 April 2009 - 09:35 AM

Chilli plants are self-pollinating. Pollen from the same flower will do. It's not necessary to transfer pollen from one flower to another flower unless in the rare instances that some flowers don't have pollen.

#8 User is offline   pot2wok 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 13 April 2009 - 10:14 AM

ah, learn something new everyday :)/> i did not know they self pollinate. now i need not take pollen from one flower and intro it to the next :)/> i noticed that when i did not hand pollinate, i get less fruits. so far, my method meant that almost all of the flowers fruit.

and boon-kun, thanks for ur advice on chem or organic fert. still feel better if i use organic fert for things i wanna makan, kiasu lah :P/>

#9 User is offline   Wisteria 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 13 April 2009 - 12:41 PM

My red chilli plant & the 1-metre tall sweet chilli plant have no problem setting fruits, thus hand-pollination isn't required.

My purple chilli plants used to have lots of flowers but fruit setting was poor. I inspected the flowers carefully & noticed that some flowers didn't have any pollen. I would then pollinate those flowers that have pollen using my finger and use a cotton bud to transfer pollen to those flowers without pollen.

This post has been edited by Wisteria: 13 April 2009 - 12:43 PM

#10 User is offline   smithrobbionson 

• Pip

Posted 24 November 2011 - 03:22 PM

You should give water. you use a good quality seed compost and keep them in a bright place.

Florist in Chile

#11 User is offline   johnson smith 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Gardening, Making this world green and beauty.

Posted 30 November 2011 - 12:01 AM

When flowers fall off without generating fruits, it clearly means pollination not done properly and need to do by hand with a q-tip or small paintbrush.

Make sure if you are planting any type of plants, pollination should be done properly as further activities are strongly depend on pollination part. When you plants producing flowers it means you are on right way to grow chillies as its source to produce fruits. Again concentrate on how best you are in pollination activity of respective chilly plant’s flowers. It works when several flowers get open, rub your finger around the center to pick up the pollen, and repeat a couple of times for all flowers. Pollen will move to the stamen and start producing fruits.

Read more solutions on related issues of flowers and fruit productions

This post has been edited by johnson smith: 30 November 2011 - 12:02 AM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users