GCS Forum: Danger Of Getting Infected By Mealy Bug - GCS Forum

Page 1 of 1

Danger Of Getting Infected By Mealy Bug

#1 User is offline   Pomeranian 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 31 March 2009 - 04:20 PM

Today I realized that my money plant in the office has been infected by some mealy bugs. I spotted the mealy bug and saw some white powder kind of thing on the leaves. Since my ionanthas are placed near to the money plant, I am very wary of it. However, I didn’t spot any of them. I’m not sure whether mealy bugs are capable hiding inside the leaves. So far, I never spot any mealy bugs crawling out from the leaves or left any trace of evidence on the leaves. What is the best thing to do? Can I soak my ionantha to drown the mealy bugs which are hiding inside the leaves if so?

#2 User is offline   Mejo 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 31 March 2009 - 06:31 PM

Yes, ionanthas can be infected by mealy bugs. They like to be at the roots and also the base of leaves. If you can't tell whether they are there or not, to take precautions, you can just soak the ionantha into soapy detergent water. Water alone is not good enough. Detergent water can get into the spaces deep in the plant but plain water cannot. I usually mix about 1 teaspoon detergent to a liter of water or stronger. Soak for at least 20mins or so and then rinse thoroughly. You can soak in plain water again for an hour or so if you fear that the detergent is too strong. I use mama lemon.

#3 User is offline   Pat Welburn 

• PipPip
  • Interests:Well I have been retired for about seven years now and my time is taken up now growing Bromeliads, I saw one (a Guzmania) about 5 years ago and it blew me away, so I then set out to buy as many Guzmanias as I could. I then started collecting Aechmeas, then Vrieseas and now Neoregelias. You would be right if you said I was totally hooked on Bromeliads. Towards the end of April I head out to the Central Queensland gemfields and fossick for sapphires. I stay out there all winter and then come home at the end of September and then I,m back into my Broms again.<br />There are not enough hours in a day for me. I have added another interest and that is growing Adeniums, my daughter has a pink one and when it flowered my wife collected th seeds, I planted them and had a 100% success, I then sent to Thailand and got a few seeds of supposedly different colours and am in the middle of germinating those seeds now.<br />Ok thats enough about me.<br />Pat Welburn

Posted 31 March 2009 - 07:43 PM

View PostPomeranian, on Mar 31 2009, 04:20 PM, said:

Today I realized that my money plant in the office has been infected by some mealy bugs. I spotted the mealy bug and saw some white powder kind of thing on the leaves. Since my ionanthas are placed near to the money plant, I am very wary of it. However, I didn’t spot any of them. I’m not sure whether mealy bugs are capable hiding inside the leaves. So far, I never spot any mealy bugs crawling out from the leaves or left any trace of evidence on the leaves. What is the best thing to do? Can I soak my ionantha to drown the mealy bugs which are hiding inside the leaves if so?

Hi Patricia,
I found this article which may be of some use to you and your mearly bugs,:This not fungus. It is mealy bugs and their eggs. Spray or wash with soapy water and/or rubbing alcohol. Two or three treatments a week apart should take care of the problem. When mealy bugs get into tillandsia foliage they are very hard to see. You might want to examine all the plants to make sure they have not been affected.

#4 User is offline   Pomeranian 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 31 March 2009 - 08:34 PM

Thanks Mejo and Pat, I'll try to use the methods that you all are using. Better worry than to be sorry. :)/>

#5 User is offline   Abby Lim 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:All plants, Bonsai & cooking

Posted 31 March 2009 - 10:37 PM

View PostPomeranian, on Mar 31 2009, 08:34 PM, said:

Thanks Mejo and Pat, I'll try to use the methods that you all are using. Better worry than to be sorry. :)/>

Hi Patricia, how are your new darlings doing at your place, my 2 $8.50 fellow, one bloom already.

http://i430.photobucket.com/albums/qq29/abbylimab/IMG_3725.jpg
http://i430.photobucket.com/albums/qq29/abbylimab/IMG_3726.jpg

This one going to, last week some leave turn a bit more red, but his week become green again
http://i430.photobucket.com/albums/qq29/abbylimab/IMG_3727.jpg

This one live with my very old one on this driftwood
http://i430.photobucket.com/albums/qq29/abbylimab/IMG_3728.jpg
http://i430.photobucket.com/albums/qq29/abbylimab/IMG_3729.jpg
http://i430.photobucket.com/albums/qq29/abbylimab/IMG_3730.jpg

My old reborn again and again on this wood, the two bbs that drop off go to the other wood as they need a hole to hold them there.
http://i430.photobucket.com/albums/qq29/abbylimab/IMG_3731.jpg

Those special offer one live in the office, today just give them a good bath in my orchid growing fertilizer after the advice from moods, thanks moods, will see how they can improve.

#6 User is offline   Pomeranian 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 01 April 2009 - 08:08 AM

Hi Abby,

My new darlings still show no sign of blooming. :(/> :ranting2:/> Maybe all of them are 'hibernating'. :hysterical:/> Well, I'll learn to be more patience nowadays after growing tillandsias. ha...........

Joke apart, abby i have to go back home to access the pictures that you have posted. My office blocks certain picture files especially photobucket, so I can only see box with a cross.

#7 User is offline   spheredome 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 01 April 2009 - 08:47 AM

You can deal with the mealybugs of the moneyplant with white summer oil. Since it is odorless and safe, it won't disturb people working within the office.

Just buy one of those $1 pump bottle, pour the oil into the it and bring to office, from there you add water (oil must be well sufficient). Office mealybug multiplies very fast bec there is no other area to go to and it is cool (presumed aircon) from my observation. Oil works very well in office as it remains for 1 week+

Remember to spray the unopened leaves and stem roots, that where the babies are hiding.

View PostPomeranian, on Mar 31 2009, 04:20 PM, said:

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users