GCS Forum: Hybrid Btw Bromeliad And Tillandsa?what Is This Unusual And Interesting Bromeliad? - GCS Forum

Page 1 of 1

Hybrid Btw Bromeliad And Tillandsa?what Is This Unusual And Interesting Bromeliad?

#1 User is offline   Pomeranian 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 30 March 2009 - 08:34 PM

I posted this bromeliads on behalf of Pat as he is not sure how to post picture here:

http://i530.photobucket.com/albums/dd341/c...se20Pompom1.jpg

This bromeliad looks like hybrid btw bromeliad and tillandsia. The base look like bromeliad and the crown look like tillandsia. Anyone know the Id for this bromeliad ?

Pat said that he couldn't find much info for this strange looking bromeliad?

This post has been edited by Pomeranian: 30 March 2009 - 08:40 PM

#2 User is offline   kel1ng 

• Advance Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 30 March 2009 - 08:57 PM

It looks like a pineapple plant to me.......:D/>

#3 User is offline   LobsterX 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Cycling, Swimmming, Cooking, Eating, Growing Nepenthes and Tillandsias

Posted 30 March 2009 - 10:22 PM

All tillandsias are Bromelaids but not all bromelaids are tillandsia.

so when u say a hydrid between a bromelaid and a tillandsia, you are basically saying a bromelaid crossed with another bromelaid.

yes. pineapple plant is a bromelaid

#4 User is offline   Mejo 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 30 March 2009 - 11:32 PM

Bromeliad are separated into many different genera and one of them is tillandsia. However, I don't think you can make a hybrid across genera. That is, you cannot cross a tillandsia with an earth star nor with a pineapple because while all three are bromeliad, they are from different genera. Among tillandsia, there are the xeric type (air/needing little moisture) and terrestial type (ground). Most tillandsia are epiphytic, meaning they grow on another plant. The plant that is in the picture may or may not be a tillandsia or could be a terrestial type. Many other bromeliads pupped from the flower stalk so you can't use that as the defining characteristic for tillandsia. Most tillandsia are epiphytic and xeric though and most other genera of bromeliads are not.

This post has been edited by Mejo: 30 March 2009 - 11:33 PM

#5 User is offline   Pomeranian 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 31 March 2009 - 08:06 AM

View PostLobsterX, on Mar 30 2009, 10:22 PM, said:

All tillandsias are Bromelaids but not all bromelaids are tillandsia.

so when u say a hydrid between a bromelaid and a tillandsia, you are basically saying a bromelaid crossed with another bromelaid.

yes. pineapple plant is a bromelaid

Yup, that was when I meant. I can't figure what is the species for this type of bromeliad. Based on what Mejo said, different genera not possible to cross breed with another genera in the family. I suspect that it is just another species of bromeliad though I'm still thinking of different genera between lion and tiger but still they cross breed and produced liger and tigon. :rolleyes:/>

#6 User is offline   LobsterX 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Cycling, Swimmming, Cooking, Eating, Growing Nepenthes and Tillandsias

Posted 31 March 2009 - 11:26 AM

View PostPomeranian, on Mar 31 2009, 08:06 AM, said:

Based on what Mejo said, different genera not possible to cross breed with another genera in the family. I suspect that it is just another species of bromeliad though I'm still thinking of different genera between lion and tiger but still they cross breed and produced liger and tigon. :rolleyes:/>

Not true. different genera bromeliads do cross pollenate by artificial means.... that's why we have the following.

Bigenerics - Geoff Lawn

1. xAechopsis
2. xAnagelia
3. xAnamea
4. xAndrolaechmea
5. xBillmea
6. xBillnelia
7. xCanmea
8. xCryptananas
9. xCryptbergia
10. xCryptmea
11. xDeuterocairnia
12. xDyckcohnia
13. xGuzvriesea
14. xHohenelia
15. xHohenmea
16. xNeobergia
17. xNeobergiopsis
18. xNeomea
19. xNeophytum
20. xNeorockia
21. xNeostropsis
22. xNeotanthus
23. xNidumea
24. xNiduregelia
25. xOrthomea
26. xPortemea
27. xPuckia
28. xPucohnia
29. xQuesistrum
30. xQuesmea
31. xQuesregelia
32. xUrsumea
33. xVriecantarea
34. xVrierauhia
35. xVrieslandsia

all can be found at http://www.fcbs.org/

This is not an advertisment for FCBS. I repeat... this is not an advertisment! :ranting2:/>

#7 User is offline   Pat Welburn 

• PipPip
  • Interests:Well I have been retired for about seven years now and my time is taken up now growing Bromeliads, I saw one (a Guzmania) about 5 years ago and it blew me away, so I then set out to buy as many Guzmanias as I could. I then started collecting Aechmeas, then Vrieseas and now Neoregelias. You would be right if you said I was totally hooked on Bromeliads. Towards the end of April I head out to the Central Queensland gemfields and fossick for sapphires. I stay out there all winter and then come home at the end of September and then I,m back into my Broms again.<br />There are not enough hours in a day for me. I have added another interest and that is growing Adeniums, my daughter has a pink one and when it flowered my wife collected th seeds, I planted them and had a 100% success, I then sent to Thailand and got a few seeds of supposedly different colours and am in the middle of germinating those seeds now.<br />Ok thats enough about me.<br />Pat Welburn

Posted 31 March 2009 - 07:49 PM

View Postkel1ng, on Mar 30 2009, 08:57 PM, said:

It looks like a pineapple plant to me.......:D/>

Yes you are right, I found out the the Brom which is what it is came from a pineapple grower in Northern Queensland, he decided to sell them and called them a Paradise PomPom Bromeliad. I purchased it on Ebay and haven,t received it yet but it should arrive this week.
Pat

#8 User is offline   Mejo 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 01 April 2009 - 03:16 AM

Lobster,

From FCBS,

"To be expected, every bigeneric has been produced from 2 genera within 1 sub-family, never Bromelioideae crossed with Tillandsioideae or Pitcairnioideae (or combination thereof) "

Haha, so still no pineapple tilly for us.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users