Page 1 of 1

Any Palm Tree Fanatics Out There? I grow them from seeds

#1 User is offline   adrianlau 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Potted trees from seeds, Aquarium fish

Posted 20 March 2009 - 11:48 PM

I started my first batch of Christmas palms from seeds collected during my honeymoon in Phuket. When they grow too big, I gave them to my relatives who live in landed property, but I still have one 7 ft tall Christmas palm out in my balcony now.

So far I've also grown Fox-tail palm (seeds collected from Batam) and other unidentified palms from Bali. I had Alexander Palm for a while but all died because they don't take well to drought (read as: I neglected watering them). Recently my interest is revived again and I'm trying to sprout Bismark (blue leaves) and Champagne Bottle seeds mail- ordered from USA.

I'm going to experiment with recycling 10 kg rice sacks into planter bags to grow palm trees, but still trying to figure out what is the cheapest growing medium for them.

Perhaps other fanatics can share your experience and lobang of palm seeds spotting in Sg.

#2 User is offline   Abby Lim 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:All plants, Bonsai & cooking

Posted 21 March 2009 - 12:01 AM

View Postadrianlau, on Mar 20 2009, 11:48 PM, said:

I started my first batch of Christmas palms from seeds collected during my honeymoon in Phuket. When they grow too big, I gave them to my relatives who live in landed property, but I still have one 7 ft tall Christmas palm out in my balcony now.

So far I've also grown Fox-tail palm (seeds collected from Batam) and other unidentified palms from Bali. I had Alexander Palm for a while but all died because they don't take well to drought (read as: I neglected watering them). Recently my interest is revived again and I'm trying to sprout Bismark (blue leaves) and Champagne Bottle seeds mail- ordered from USA.

I'm going to experiment with recycling 10 kg rice sacks into planter bags to grow palm trees, but still trying to figure out what is the cheapest growing medium for them.

Perhaps other fanatics can share your experience and lobang of palm seeds spotting in Sg.

My plam bear a lot of friuts and become my pest, I have to remove them like weeds, tons of them, I even have to go to 2nd level balcony to chop the flower bubs off b4 they fruits, otherwise those birds eat and let go a the same time, red patch on my hoya, shuimei, epis leaves............ hate them!

Who want palm seedings, just come to me, red palm, green palm and sorry, yellow palm no seeds no flower, good one.

#3 User is offline   adrianlau 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 21 March 2009 - 05:05 PM

Since I'm staying near to Bt Merah....

Are your red and green palm those clumping types or single trunk? When is a convenient time to help you remove the seeds?

#4 User is offline   islaverde 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:tree ferns, orchids, mosses, fragrant plants, anthuriums, alocasias, xanthosomas, monsteras, philodendrons, tropical america flora, heliconias, gingers, calatheas, creepers, forest ecology

Posted 21 March 2009 - 05:24 PM

yes I love fan palms; esp Licualas. Looking for Licuala longipes.
growing from seeds take a very very long time though.

#5 User is offline   Abby Lim 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 21 March 2009 - 06:48 PM

View Postadrianlau, on Mar 21 2009, 05:05 PM, said:

Since I'm staying near to Bt Merah....

Are your red and green palm those clumping types or single trunk? When is a convenient time to help you remove the seeds?

Oh those weeds are @ Stevens Road, my work place, I will be going back to office tmr afternoon, would you like to join me there to hunt for the seedings there about 4pm?

We have trim off their offshoot, but still have a clump, we have chop down 5 single trunk palm as they are too big and too old.

#6 User is offline   eltonmarkjimenez 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:I love collecting rare and exotic plants but I mostly love making hybrids out of them. I am interested in seeing what they will look like when they grow especially Anthuriums.<br /><br />I mostly sell my plants but I also like to trade them for specific plants that I think I dont have in volume or are not in my collection.<br /><br />

Posted 21 March 2009 - 09:33 PM

Well I love to collect all kind of palms. I especially love Mapu... Bismark and Champagne are not that the tricky if they are about 1 foot tall.... the cheapest meduim we use here(Philippines) are rice hull... to transfer our foot long palms. Any other medium except moisture gathering mediums are fine... byt the way Bismark and other palms takes too long too sprout... I usually soak them about 2 weeks in water or water with any rooting hormone to speed-up the process. Hope this will help.

#7 User is offline   adrianlau 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 21 March 2009 - 09:50 PM

I guess Sg don't produce rice so we don't have rice hull. Never seen it in nurseries before. Anyone knows if it is available here?

#8 User is offline   adrianlau 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 21 March 2009 - 09:52 PM

View PostAbby Lim, on Mar 21 2009, 06:48 PM, said:

Oh those weeds are @ Stevens Road, my work place, I will be going back to office tmr afternoon, would you like to join me there to hunt for the seedings there about 4pm?

We have trim off their offshoot, but still have a clump, we have chop down 5 single trunk palm as they are too big and too old.

Tomorrow not a good time. Any possibility of going Stevens Road on weekdays after 6pm? I work at Orchard Rd.

#9 User is offline   Abby Lim 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 21 March 2009 - 10:06 PM

View Postadrianlau, on Mar 21 2009, 09:52 PM, said:

Tomorrow not a good time. Any possibility of going Stevens Road on weekdays after 6pm? I work at Orchard Rd.

OK, will let you know if I can stay late.

#10 User is offline   aaatop 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Adenium, Yucca, Dracenea, Alocasia, Mulberry, Pandan, Pennywort,, Plumeria, Staghorns, Gloxinia, Episcia, Begonia, African Violet & Money Plants.

Posted 14 February 2011 - 08:53 AM

View PostAbby Lim, on 21 March 2009 - 10:06 PM, said:

OK, will let you know if I can stay late.

Its been a long time, hope this thread is not extinct.

Just currently interested in palms, collected some areca palm seeds (small 4-7mm granules) and was hoping to get some advice to germinate these small seeds. Also collect some "acorn" looking palm seeds, to soak themin water till it sprout?

Also looking for red palm seedings or seeds.... beautiful smart n neat palm.

#11 User is offline   kw3822 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Registered Merchant

Posted 14 February 2011 - 06:12 PM

View Posteltonmarkjimenez, on 21 March 2009 - 09:33 PM, said:

Well I love to collect all kind of palms. I especially love Mapu... Bismark and Champagne are not that the tricky if they are about 1 foot tall.... the cheapest meduim we use here(Philippines) are rice hull... to transfer our foot long palms. Any other medium except moisture gathering mediums are fine... byt the way Bismark and other palms takes too long too sprout... I usually soak them about 2 weeks in water or water with any rooting hormone to speed-up the process. Hope this will help.

i use hot water at 70 Deg C to saok them for < 24 hours that will have break down the seed coat.

as for medium i used coco peat but now i use a mixture of 70% coco peat and 30% coco chip.

#12 User is offline   kw3822 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Registered Merchant

Posted 14 February 2011 - 06:16 PM

View Postadrianlau, on 20 March 2009 - 11:48 PM, said:

other than the rice sack you can use a planter bag.
there are many sizes to chose from like 20cmx20cm to 1mx1m.

good for small to big plants. good point is when you want to plant the palm into the ground just put the whole bag into the dug out and bury it no need to remove.

as for watering it is best to use water timers or channel water from gutter or roof run off so that during rain the palm will get some water.

#13 User is offline   adrianlau 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 26 April 2011 - 10:54 PM

After several weeks of hunting, I finally collected a bag full of Bismarckia nobilis (silver) seeds (actually fruits). Hooray! They have dropped to the ground, strange that the ripe fruits do not turn red in colour.

In 2009, I ordered some of these seeds from USA, 2 sprouted, but both died during transplanting to pot. I found out that their roots are sensitive, don't like to be disturbed.

I've one green one (from a locally collected seed) growing quite well in a medium-sized dragon urn pot for a few years already.

With my new seeds, I plan to remove the pulp, which is quite hard because they have tough skin. Then soak them in water for 2 days with daily water change. Dust them with sodium bicarbonate/baking soda as a fungicide. Because their roots will grow deep, will plant them individually into planter bags (10-12 inches deep) or 2 litre soft-drinks bottle. Then wait patiently.

#14 User is offline   Platybrom 

• Pip

Posted 11 November 2013 - 12:30 AM

View Postadrianlau, on 20 March 2009 - 11:48 PM, said:

Hi,

I have just harvested fresh Cycad Pectinata seeds from my plant. Do you want to buy some to try growing them? Do pm me at platybrom@gmail.com if you are interested.

Regards,
Platybrom

This post has been edited by Platybrom: 11 November 2013 - 12:39 AM

#15 User is offline   Platybrom 

• Pip

Posted 11 November 2013 - 12:38 AM

-null-

This post has been edited by Platybrom: 11 November 2013 - 12:41 AM

#16 User is offline   siaogu 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 12 November 2013 - 01:22 AM

Hey,

I have a few different types of Livistona seeds here with me.

Regards
Vincent

#17 User is offline   cym. ensifolium 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 11 February 2015 - 03:38 PM

Does anyone know where I can buy dypsis cabadae or dypsis lanceolata young plants or seeds?

Thank you.

Eugene

Does anyone know where I can buy dypsis cabadae or dypsis lanceolata young plants or seeds?

Thank you.

Eugene

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users