GCS Forum: How To Get Seeds From Hibiscus? - GCS Forum

Page 1 of 1

How To Get Seeds From Hibiscus?

#1 User is offline   chinmo 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 19 March 2009 - 04:01 PM

Hi guys! am newbie to world of hibiscus! from what i always know is that hibiscus grow from cuttings.... have nver seen hibiscus seed before.... so.... how to make the hibiscus grow seeds? :blush:/>

Chinmo-Thanks guys in advance

#2 User is offline   Wisteria 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 19 March 2009 - 04:08 PM

You can pollinate the flower by hand & then wait for a few days to see if a seedpod will begin to develop. Some hibiscus cultivars are sterile though.

#3 User is offline   Hibcrazy 

• PipPip

Posted 22 March 2009 - 11:13 PM

Hi Wisteria

You can watch videos on Hibiscus pollination , seed pods care , seed planting , hibiscus care and hibiscus grafting at the IHS website. Below is the link . Good luck !

http://www.internati...cussociety.org/

Hibcrazy.

#4 User is offline   Wisteria 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 23 March 2009 - 10:17 AM

Hi Hibcrazy
I have successfully pollinated my hibiscus & I'm currently growing new ones from seeds harvested from my plants.

Hi chinmo
Post#3 is meant for you.

#5 User is offline   chinmo 

• PipPip

Posted 23 March 2009 - 10:48 PM

Wisteria, on Mar 23 2009, 10:17 AM, said:

Hi Hibcrazy
I have successfully pollinated my hibiscus & I'm currently growing new ones from seeds harvested from my plants.

Hi chinmo
Post#3 is meant for you.

Thanks wisteria! may ask if i polinnate 2 flowers from same plants...will i get seeeds? or do i nid to cross polinate? :bangin:/>

#6 User is offline   Wisteria 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 24 March 2009 - 09:30 AM

Hi chinmo

I have 3 types of hibiscus:
(1) variegated hibiscus --> this one is sterile, self-pollinating or cross-pollinating also won't have seedpods.
(2) mini pink hibiscus --> this cultivar appears to be sterile too.
(3) dinner plate hibiscus --> as only one flower blooms each time, I pollinate it with its own pollen & seedpod will successfully develop.

There are many different types of hibiscus:
Hibiscus acetosella (false roselle)
Hibiscus mutabilis
Hibiscus rosa-sinensis (most of those we have at home are from this category, including my variegated & mini hibiscus)
Hibiscus moscheutos (dinner plate hibiscus, hardy hibiscus)
Hibiscus sabdariffa (roselle --> self pollinating, edible calyces)
Hibiscus schizopetalus (Japanese lantern, Chinese lantern)
Hibiscus syriacus
Hibiscus tiliaceus

Within Hibiscus rosa-sinensis (tropical hibiscus), there are different cultivars available. It would be helpful if you know which types of hibiscus exactly you currently have so that you can search for information on them.

Why don't you post the pictures of your hibiscus plants? Others who have the same types as yours will then be able to tell you if those cultivars are sterile or can be self-pollinated or need to be cross-pollinated.

This post has been edited by Wisteria: 24 March 2009 - 09:52 AM

#7 User is offline   jerome 

• PipPip

Posted 15 April 2009 - 09:21 PM

chinmo, on Mar 19 2009, 12:01 AM, said:

Hi guys! am newbie to world of hibiscus! from what i always know is that hibiscus grow from cuttings.... have nver seen hibiscus seed before.... so.... how to make the hibiscus grow seeds? :blush:/>

Chinmo-Thanks guys in advance

DEAR CHINMO

YOU HAVE TO TRANSFER THE POLLENS TO THE STIGMA TO PRODUCEDS SEEDS MAKE SURE THE POLLENS AND STIGMA ARE FRESH

#8 User is offline   jerome 

• PipPip

Posted 16 April 2009 - 08:03 AM

Wisteria, on Mar 19 2009, 12:08 AM, said:

You can pollinate the flower by hand & then wait for a few days to see if a seedpod will begin to develop. Some hibiscus cultivars are sterile though.

#9 User is offline   jerome 

• PipPip

Posted 16 April 2009 - 08:05 AM

Hello what do you mean sterile through

#10 User is offline   shamrock 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 16 April 2009 - 08:12 AM

jerome, on Apr 16 2009, 08:05 AM, said:

Hello what do you mean sterile through

sterile plants/flowers do not set seeds.

#11 User is offline   Wisteria 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 16 April 2009 - 09:52 AM

Hi Jerome

I see that you have posted the same questions in several "Hibiscus" threads. I believe you actually know how to hand-pollinate the flowers but somehow your plants are unable to set seed.

Like I mentioned in my earlier posting in this thread, first of all you need to identify the exact types of hibiscus plants that you have. Then you need to check if your plants are sterile cultivars or those that can easily be pollinated. You also need to know if the various non-sterile types require self-pollination or cross-pollination. There's no point wasting time hand-pollinating sterile varieties because they would never set seed. You are better off propagating those varieties by stem cuttings.

For your information, I hand-pollinate my dinner plate hibiscus in the early morning before 9am.

#12 User is offline   steven 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 17 April 2009 - 01:38 AM

Wisteria,

May I trouble you to shed some info on my hibiscus? ID if possible and whether sterile or not...

Thanks.

http://www.greenculturesg.com/forum/index....showtopic=13924

#13 User is offline   Wisteria 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 17 April 2009 - 09:45 AM

Hi steven

Yours is Hibiscus rosa-sinensis (tropical hibiscus). You need to try hand-pollinating it to know whether it's sterile or not. I don't have the same cultivar as yours, so I can't comment on that.

If you have 2 plants with different coloured flowers, you can experiment as follows:
- pollinate your red hibiscus flower using its own pollen
- pollinate your red hibiscus flower using pollen from another flower on the same plant
- pollinate your red hibiscus flower using pollen from the flower on the other plant (if you want hybrids) or vice versa

See which method will result in seedpods. If all methods fail to produce seedpods, then you can conclude that this particular red cultivar is sterile.

Happy experimenting!

#14 User is offline   steven 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 17 April 2009 - 10:01 AM

Thank you Wisteria.

#15 User is offline   treeman 

• PipPip

Posted 18 April 2009 - 01:08 AM

Hi all,

I had tried a lot of times to pollinate my very first 9-month-old hibiscus but to no avail. I had tried using the cotton bud method and etc. What went wrong?

I don't know what's the exact ID for this tropical hibiscus... please identify.... Thank you!

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3583/3356196120_065640de05.jpg

This post has been edited by treeman: 18 April 2009 - 01:11 AM

#16 User is offline   Wisteria 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 18 April 2009 - 10:50 AM

Hi treeman

It was by trial & error that I realised that my variegated hibiscus is a sterile variety. Further research subsequently also confirmed that variegated hibiscus indeed would not set seed.

The cotton bud method would work provided your hibiscus cultivar is the non-sterile type. Try hand-pollinating before 9am on a non-rainy day.

If you refer to this link, under the hybridizing section, it is mentioned that "Pollen should be golden yellow and light and fluffy. Some cultivars are reluctant mamas and some pollen is not potent." Do bear this in mind even if you aren't doing hybridizing but just trying to pollinate the flowers on your single plant.

This post has been edited by Wisteria: 18 April 2009 - 10:55 AM

#17 User is offline   tropicana 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 07 September 2009 - 10:33 PM

I have a red hibiscus. It looks like the flower labeled red & white , single in the following topic. I've tried pollinating it but it's sterile I think. I have another plant which is yellow with orange stripes. The seed pods also drop off. Why are they sterile? They aren't hybrids as far as i can tell. So disappointing. :(/>

http://www.greenculturesg.com/forum/index....showtopic=14428

#18 User is offline   Wisteria 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 08 September 2009 - 11:38 AM

My latest tropical hibiscus -'Florida Sunset'- is also sterile, just like my variegated hibiscus & mini-pink hibiscus.
Hence if you want to collect seeds, grow other types of hibiscus like me.

Dinner plate hibiscus will set seed if you hand-pollinate the flowers.
Sunset hibiscus (Abelmoschus manihot) will set seed if they are pollinated by bees.

Check out my sales thread if anyone is keen to grow these 2 types of uncommon hibiscus.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users