GCS Forum: Pressure Cooker Vs Thermal Pot Vs Conventional Stove Cooking - GCS Forum

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Pressure Cooker Vs Thermal Pot Vs Conventional Stove Cooking

#21 User is offline   sasa 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Diving, Mountain climbing

Posted 26 March 2009 - 08:48 PM

Hey guys,

(felicia mentioned abt the thermal pot)

if cost is an issue, there's this product available from OG (i don noe anywhere else) tat requires no electricity / external heat. It looks like any normal thermal pot (those for bringing soups to hospitals) and all u need to do is to add a recently boiling stew / curry / soup / bean dish into it, cover it up and u can get home to a delicious cooked meal.

I hear this from a frd 2 yrs back but i really doubted it's usefulness until i saw another frd's mum using it recently. Say eg, green bean soup, just bring the beans, water, sugar to a boil then u transfer it to the pot. The bean will be cooked thoroughly and the best part is tat it stays hot even when u open the lid a few times.

I always cook black bean soup in my electric clay pot (alamak.. how do u call tat?) which takes me a day on high in order to enjoy a mean bowl of soft beans at the end of the day not to mention the few times tat i've got to add water to keep the water level in the pot! I also have a pressure cooker at home and i'm still concern with when can i open the lid as i've seen horror clips of pressure cooker exploding haha!!!

But the thermal pot doesn't comes in too big a size. Erm.. 5L??? and the price is ard $80 on promo if i'm not mistaken. Wonder if anyone of u have seen this b4 and can comment further. My frd's mum served us pipping hot curry tat she cook partially in the aftnoon despite the fact tat she has opened the pot at least 5 time to dish out the curry + checking etc.

sasa ;þ

This post has been edited by sasa: 26 March 2009 - 08:52 PM

#22 User is offline   jade 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 26 March 2009 - 11:01 PM

sasa, I believe the product you're talking about is the thermal pot which we've been discussing. Taka was having this bundle promo for Endo brand last week, either a "5 litre+ 2.5 litre" or a "6 litre + 1.8 litre" for only $100. Quite a good deal. I bought a 2.5 litre (good enough for stew, but too small for soup) for $49. So far I tried cooking red bean soup at night and in the morning I got hot dessert for breakfast! yummy... But do note that the amount of food in it has to be at least 50% full (best 80%) for better heat retention.

#23 User is offline   Monica 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 26 March 2009 - 11:30 PM

Carrefour & OG carry Endo 5L & 6L thermal pot too. U can check out the price there.

#24 User is offline   maggie 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 27 March 2009 - 02:46 AM

hi jade

after my fren serve piping hot shark's fin at CNY dinner despite cooking at noon, i am a convert already. for me, inner pot put on stove to boil for 2 hours. then transfer to thermal pot b4 your kids return home at 1130 and when you serve for dinner, it is still hot la...good to have soup done in morning timing...

#25 User is offline   jade 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 27 March 2009 - 07:08 AM

Maggie, that will definitely buy some time for me. But cooking for 2 hrs on the stove would mean I have to watch the fire for that 2 hrs (same as my old style). If I were to invest in one for soup, will probably do it the triple boiling method. Now I am boiling soup with my slow cooker. But because it is SLOW cooker, have to start everything in the morning till dinner time. Am wondering whether it is worth it for the electrical bill incurred. But I am convinced thermal pot is good for hot dessert and stew. Am thinking of trying peanut soup in that, coz peanut take a long time to soften till the state I want.

#26 User is offline   mato 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 27 March 2009 - 09:43 AM

Hi Jade peanut soup works too,nuts soft and tender.

#27 User is offline   rocky 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 27 March 2009 - 09:50 AM

View Postjade, on Mar 27 2009, 07:08 AM, said:

Maggie, that will definitely buy some time for me. But cooking for 2 hrs on the stove would mean I have to watch the fire for that 2 hrs (same as my old style). If I were to invest in one for soup, will probably do it the triple boiling method. Now I am boiling soup with my slow cooker. But because it is SLOW cooker, have to start everything in the morning till dinner time. Am wondering whether it is worth it for the electrical bill incurred. But I am convinced thermal pot is good for hot dessert and stew. Am thinking of trying peanut soup in that, coz peanut take a long time to soften till the state I want.

hi jade,

for the thermal pots, you can have any soup in it, actually if you do want to have it for dinner, u can cook it in the morning, jus bring the soup to boil, add whatever you need to, after boiling again, turn medium fire for another 10 to 15 min will do, that is what i do for my kids... today....

hi sasa,

this is the best method to save on Electricity and Time ofcos, as prepare time is less then 30min..... and the soup is nice n tasty good after you kept it in the thermal for 4 hour or more..... the chicken feet is soft, the soup is sweet.... :)/>

Cooked ABC soup in inner pot, bring it to boil....

http://i39.tinypic.com/21443d0.jpg

chicken's feet in pot that are still very HARD...

http://i41.tinypic.com/nve9f4.jpg

add salt and maggie chicken power to taste

http://i42.tinypic.com/wi8074.jpg

boil for another 10min... transfer into thermal pot (b4 transfer, Remember to remove all access oil and those bubble...)

http://i39.tinypic.com/2e2mqa9.jpg

close up the thermal pot, DONE..... keep it for at least 4 hours for better taste and have soft chicken's feet

http://i44.tinypic.com/k1ovgm.jpg

sorry i cant wait till 4 hour later to show you all the end product today as am rushing off for work.....

happi cooking....

rocky

#28 User is offline   k0k0 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 27 March 2009 - 04:57 PM

View Postjade, on Mar 27 2009, 07:08 AM, said:

No need to boil 2 hours. Here is what I do:
1. In the morning, I'll boil the soup for on the stove for about 20-30 mins
2. In the meantime, I'll eat breakfast and do whatever is necessary
3. Before I go off to work, I transfer the inner pot to the vacuum outer pot
4. When I reach home, I take it out, boil for another 10-15 mins before putting it back into the outer pot while I prepare other dishes

I think the soup come out just nice leh. The trick is not too add too much water, maybe 1 extra small bowl for boiling purposes.

#29 User is offline   sasa 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Diving, Mountain climbing

Posted 27 March 2009 - 06:19 PM

Sorry guys!

no pix also don noe wat i'm reading.. paiseh paiseh.

My frd's mum told me no need to cook for so long. As long as the liquid id boiling, can transfer straight to the flask to continue cooking. Seems to me like a 15min feat but then I have not tried it out for myself so any good lobang? I wana go buy 1 asap so tat i can test it out on my bean cuisine. haha!!

Rocky, pending ur finished product!!

sasa ;þ

#30 User is offline   porkchop 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 27 March 2009 - 07:32 PM

I have both pressure cooker & thermal cooker & this is my take on them.

For me, it doesn't matter whether they've been cooked in a thermal or pressure cooker, because I always cook them beforehand, cool, then re-heat to a boil the next day or before consumption - they taste much better, more full-bodied. The only difference is time. If I'm in a rush or want to make heaps of soup/stock, I'll use a pressure cooker where I can get soup/stock within an hour or so, then make another batch of soup/stock (I make large amounts of stock to freeze in smaller portions so that I can have ready stock base for various soups & dishes). Thermal cooker is more for every day meals & I have all the ingredients beforehand to cook the night before.

I do soups in charcoal too, for special occasions like parties & large meal gatherings. I use those tanyu pots, & people like me don't bother with small pots. The larger the better - and I buy the largest there is. My pressure cooker is 6L, thermal cooker, 7L, and the tanyu pot is the largest that is available in stores - the one that has no handles. Why? Because (as mentioned) soups & stews can keep & they taste better with age, and after adding all the ingredients, there's not much soup to go round. I cook soups in charcoal for 3 days so that it's really full-bodied on the day of the party.

#31 User is offline   Abby Lim 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:All plants, Bonsai & cooking

Posted 27 March 2009 - 07:59 PM

View Postporkchop, on Mar 27 2009, 07:32 PM, said:

I have both pressure cooker & thermal cooker & this is my take on them.

For me, it doesn't matter whether they've been cooked in a thermal or pressure cooker, because I always cook them beforehand, cool, then re-heat to a boil the next day or before consumption - they taste much better, more full-bodied. The only difference is time. If I'm in a rush or want to make heaps of soup/stock, I'll use a pressure cooker where I can get soup/stock within an hour or so, then make another batch of soup/stock (I make large amounts of stock to freeze in smaller portions so that I can have ready stock base for various soups & dishes). Thermal cooker is more for every day meals & I have all the ingredients beforehand to cook the night before.

I do soups in charcoal too, for special occasions like parties & large meal gatherings. I use those tanyu pots, & people like me don't bother with small pots. The larger the better - and I buy the largest there is. My pressure cooker is 6L, thermal cooker, 7L, and the tanyu pot is the largest that is available in stores - the one that has no handles. Why? Because (as mentioned) soups & stews can keep & they taste better with age, and after adding all the ingredients, there's not much soup to go round. I cook soups in charcoal for 3 days so that it's really full-bodied on the day of the party.

Porkchop,

We are on the same key, but now most of the week I only can cook on weekend, when I need to rush out the whole day, I cook everything in my Tanyu in the morning, the two girls ( my daugther and my ward from HK) can help themselves to heat up and dig whatever they like from the pot.

#32 User is offline   rocky 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 27 March 2009 - 11:29 PM

View Postsasa, on Mar 27 2009, 06:19 PM, said:

Sorry guys!

no pix also don noe wat i'm reading.. paiseh paiseh.

My frd's mum told me no need to cook for so long. As long as the liquid id boiling, can transfer straight to the flask to continue cooking. Seems to me like a 15min feat but then I have not tried it out for myself so any good lobang? I wana go buy 1 asap so tat i can test it out on my bean cuisine. haha!!

Rocky, pending ur finished product!!

sasa ;þ

aiyo sasa, finished product had "finished", landed in my stomach liao lor.... so sorry leh..... next time la, will be cooking on monday as weekend will be in JB, will not cook, promise monday i will take the finish product for you hor.... :)/>

btw, the whole process is more then 15min hor, bring the soup to boil and boil for another 10 to 15min, or else chicken feet or peanut wont be soft enuf... and furthermore, if transfer when the liquid first boil, the taste will not be nice, jus spend another 10 to 15min you will have difference taste...

rocky

#33 User is offline   sumobaby 

• PipPip

Posted 01 May 2009 - 07:58 PM

View Postscatterseed, on Mar 18 2009, 03:19 PM, said:

Jade,

I grew up on soups and stew. My mum is totally anal about cooking. Good soups are a must in my family. So, here's my 2 cents worth.

For Chinese soups, braising and stew, best method is a charcoal stove. I kid you not. The taste cannot compare with anything else. I know, I know.... most ppl can't use charcoal stove... so, the next best alternative is the slow cooker. It's made of clay, so, no risk of Al poisoning (go google and you will see that it's medically proven that it is a contributing factor to Alzheimer's). With slow cooker, also there's no risk to kids or pets getting burnt.

Pressure cooker. Don't like the taste of the soup. It is just not the same. I have one but used it only a couple of time a long time ago. It's now a white elephant sitting in my cabinet. Also, the hissing sound that it gives scares me off.

Thermal cooker. Got this as a gift but didn't like it because I can't control the heat and it does lose heat pretty fast. Ok to cook vegetable soup but to make traditional soup with herbs and to make 'mei chye kou rou', cannot lah.

Rice cooker is an option too but careful about the Aluminium pot. If using rice cooker, maybe can consider double boiling it Cantonese style in small clay pots if your family is small.

Good luck.

SS

Scatterseed ,Wow that's amazing !

I was wondering what is the difference among all the slow cookers & their features or rather the performance of these cookers.
I had a Pressure Cooker which is all brand new that I brought it back from Japan, and me too was really afraid of using them. haha.. The only cooker I am comfortable with for slow cooking (stew /soup) is still the slow cooker (a.k.a croak pot)? not sure if I got it right (",)
I do not know about the thermal cooker & the differences between cookers until I read your post :)/> (pardon me,hihi, still a bit backdated on that)

Thank you! Definitely helpful & great insights to it. Have a blessed day ~

Regards

#34 User is offline   eekia 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 21 July 2009 - 04:50 PM

Did anyone buy the thermal pot from shop n save?

Any comment ?

Rocky, anymore soup to show me here? Thanks for ur photo. Very clear of what to put inside the soup.

#35 User is offline   Stuartlaw 

• Pip

Posted 16 October 2017 - 01:03 PM

Very informative thread.

#36 User is offline   WormFanatics 

• Pip

Posted 14 January 2018 - 12:25 AM

Pressure cooker is interesting but when it doesnt get used all the time then its a heaeache to store it.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users