GCS Forum: My Basil Is Turning Light Green.. Almost Yellow - GCS Forum

• 2 Pages +

My Basil Is Turning Light Green.. Almost Yellow What am I doing wrong..?

#1 User is offline   newtogardening 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 27 February 2009 - 07:54 AM

Hi all,

After being able to keep off those pesky white flies at bay... my basil plant is growing well and taller..

But.. but... I feel that they are turning lighter by the day, definitely not the nice green colour when I bought them from Cold Storage.. I have fertilized and watered.. and they do get some indirect sunlight through my polycarbonate awning...

They are very light green now.. almost yellow.

Is something wrong..?

#2 User is offline   petunialee 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 27 February 2009 - 08:21 AM

Basil likes full sun. Indirect sunlight not enough, I think. If it's grower taller and the spaces between the different levels of leaves is very far, then it is growing etiolated... that signals that it is reaching for the sun. Can you give it at least 4 hours of direct sun?

Basils do well with lotsa pruning. Cut and eat. Cut and eat. Basil grows bushy and you get yummy leaves.

newtogardening, on Feb 27 2009, 07:54 AM, said:

Hi all,

After being able to keep off those pesky white flies at bay... my basil plant is growing well and taller..

But.. but... I feel that they are turning lighter by the day, definitely not the nice green colour when I bought them from Cold Storage.. I have fertilized and watered.. and they do get some indirect sunlight through my polycarbonate awning...

Is something wrong..?

#3 User is offline   skyfiery 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Photography. Nature. Horseback-riding. Nature. Spirituality. Esoteric beliefs. Philosophy. Astronomy. Canines. Lupines. Golden eagles. Native American and Celtic cultures.

Posted 27 February 2009 - 09:50 AM

newtogardening, on Feb 27 2009, 07:54 AM, said:

Hi all,

Is something wrong..?

Some basils get easily-burnt in full sun, but they still require a few hours of it each day. Bright shade for the rest of the time should be okay, I think.

Sky

#4 User is offline   newtogardening 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 28 February 2009 - 09:37 PM

Hi both, again... thanks much

Hi both, again... thanks much

#5 User is offline   newtogardening 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 28 February 2009 - 09:57 PM

aiyoh.. sorry for the double post... yes I think both of u r right.. too little sun - they r growing almost sideways.. I have lots of sun in my balcony. Will find a good spot for them! :)/> Thanks much both. My basils are indebted to you.. haha! :)/>

#6 User is offline   skyfiery 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Photography. Nature. Horseback-riding. Nature. Spirituality. Esoteric beliefs. Philosophy. Astronomy. Canines. Lupines. Golden eagles. Native American and Celtic cultures.

Posted 28 February 2009 - 10:09 PM

newtogardening, on Feb 28 2009, 09:57 PM, said:

aiyoh.. sorry for the double post... yes I think both of u r right.. too little sun - they r growing almost sideways.. I have lots of sun in my balcony. Will find a good spot for them! :)/> Thanks much both. My basils are indebted to you.. haha! :)/>

You're welcome. Keep us updated on how they fare, okay? :)/>

Sky

#7 User is offline   Pequod 

• PipPip

Posted 02 April 2009 - 11:02 AM

I've been growing sweet basil. I've looked this up in the Internet and found that some sites describe sweet basil as daun kesum or daun kesom, which is also called laksa leaf. Is laksa leaf really sweet basil?

#8 User is offline   Pequod 

• PipPip

Posted 02 April 2009 - 11:34 PM

Pequod, on Apr 2 2009, 11:02 AM, said:

I've been growing sweet basil. I've looked this up in the Internet and found that some sites describe sweet basil as daun kesum or daun kesom, which is also called laksa leaf. Is laksa leaf really sweet basil?

I will answer that question myself. I was at one of the nurseries this afternoon and happened to see some herb plants for sale. Among them were some sweet basil, thai basil and laksa leaf. No, laksa leaf is a different plant from sweet basil. What then is daun kesum?

#9 User is offline   rummi 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 03 April 2009 - 07:08 AM

Pequod, on Apr 2 2009, 11:34 PM, said:

I will answer that question myself. I was at one of the nurseries this afternoon and happened to see some herb plants for sale. Among them were some sweet basil, thai basil and laksa leaf. No, laksa leaf is a different plant from sweet basil. What then is daun kesum?

daun kesum is peranakan (malay?) word for laksa leaves.

laksa leaves r vietnameses mint. nothing to do with basils.

#10 User is offline   swtan2 

• PipPip

Posted 21 April 2009 - 05:11 PM

Hi, I am new to planting herbs, would appreciate if someone can answer my question regarding my thai basil. I once owned a pot of thai basil, after keeping it for months, the leaves started to turn light green to yellowish, and the new leaves came out in smaller sizes... I have consulted friends and was told that basil plant will die off after flowering. So i waited for the flower to dry off and collected the seed and now I have suceesfully grown new basil from the seeds, but I am always in doubt that does basil really dies off after flowering? or the yellow leaves could be due to not enough nutrients? can someone please help? I dont want to end up with dying basil plants anymore. Thanks.

#11 User is offline   scatterseed 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 21 April 2009 - 05:25 PM

swtan2, on Apr 21 2009, 05:11 PM, said:

Hi, I am new to planting herbs, would appreciate if someone can answer my question regarding my thai basil. I once owned a pot of thai basil, after keeping it for months, the leaves started to turn light green to yellowish, and the new leaves came out in smaller sizes... I have consulted friends and was told that basil plant will die off after flowering. So i waited for the flower to dry off and collected the seed and now I have suceesfully grown new basil from the seeds, but I am always in doubt that does basil really dies off after flowering? or the yellow leaves could be due to not enough nutrients? can someone please help? I dont want to end up with dying basil plants anymore. Thanks.

Thai basils are the easiest to grow of all the basils. It is indigenous to this part of the world. To prolong the life of basil plants, pinch or cut away the flower heads unless you want to collect the seeds. That way, it will live for longer. Mine has been with me for almost 2 years!
It could also be true that it is nutrient difficient especially if the plant is in a pot. Root bound plants have shorter lifespans. Repotting will shock them and they will shed more leaves. Planting them in the ground is best.
Good luck.

SS

#12 User is offline   Karen79 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 21 April 2009 - 05:40 PM

if allow to flower, the taste n smell of the leaves will be less intense as more energy will be directed to the flowering.

another issue will be the stems would turn woody once flowered.

for the leaves turning yellow as wat petunialee advised - give more sun.

hope tis helps.

cheers,
karen

#13 User is offline   swtan2 

• PipPip

Posted 23 April 2009 - 01:50 PM

Hi All,

Thanks for all the precious advices. Will take good care of my new thai basil, hopefully it will last longer this time. Just bought a rosemary and lemon balm, hopefully they will be fine too. Thanks!

#14 User is offline   kayureput 

• Pip

Posted 25 April 2009 - 12:12 AM

rummi, on Apr 3 2009, 07:08 AM, said:

daun kesum is peranakan (malay?) word for laksa leaves.

laksa leaves r vietnameses mint. nothing to do with basils.

Hi There,

I think the local version of basil is thai basil and they are called Daun Selasih........

Very easy to grow, but need lots of sun.

#15 User is offline   skyfiery 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 25 April 2009 - 12:16 AM

swtan2, on Apr 23 2009, 01:50 PM, said:

Hi All,

Thanks for all the precious advices. Will take good care of my new thai basil, hopefully it will last longer this time. Just bought a rosemary and lemon balm, hopefully they will be fine too. Thanks!

Hi, I'll suggest you change your rosemary's soil into one you mix on your own. Make it as well-draining as you can. This way, there is less chances of waterlogging and all.

Sky

#16 User is offline   newtogardening 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 29 April 2009 - 08:22 PM

Hi Sky,

Actually, I'm a bit uncertain about what well draining soil means.. I noticed some people use peat, verm** (how do you spell this haha..) and some nurseries even sell like coconut husks..

What soil mix would be good for herbs like rosemary and basils and other herbs.. ? Do they differ from plant to plant much? I use only 2 types of soil.. one with more compost for my plants that almost very die (money plant) and a light soil mix I got from Kovan nursery for my African violets, herbs and all other plants.. :-s

I'm wondering how to improve on things for my next batch of herbs..

#17 User is offline   petunialee 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 29 April 2009 - 09:09 PM

newtogardening, on Apr 29 2009, 08:22 PM, said:

Hi Sky,

Actually, I'm a bit uncertain about what well draining soil means.. I noticed some people use peat, verm** (how do you spell this haha..) and some nurseries even sell like coconut husks..

What soil mix would be good for herbs like rosemary and basils and other herbs.. ? Do they differ from plant to plant much? I use only 2 types of soil.. one with more compost for my plants that almost very die (money plant) and a light soil mix I got from Kovan nursery for my African violets, herbs and all other plants.. :-s

I sent you PM on this.

#18 User is offline   petunialee 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 29 April 2009 - 09:18 PM

newtogardening, on Apr 29 2009, 08:22 PM, said:

Hi Sky,

I have three components for my herbs' soil mix. TREF compost, clayey burnt soil and perlite.

Mediterranean herbs like rosemary, thyme, marjoram, sage do well in 50% TREF compost and 50% perlite. Tropical herbs like basil, mint etc do great in 2 parts TREF compost and one part clayey burnt soil.

Both types like whole day sun.

If it rains, don't water Mediterranean herbs at all. With 8 hours sun, I water mine every 2 days. On cloudy days, maybe once every 4 days. Most people say don't fertilise or they won't smell as good. I don't care. I fertilise every now and then so I get fat leaves and bushy growth. I eat what I prune so the more I eat, the more bushy.

Basils and mints love lotsa water, so twice a day also can, especially if very hot. These love rich soil so must fertilise regularly. Check soil for soil mealies and under the leaves for mealybugs.

#19 User is offline   skyfiery 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 29 April 2009 - 11:17 PM

PetuniaLee has given you quite good advice, newtogardening. Just to add on a little, from a more HDB perspective.

For myself, how I measure well-draining is by how long water takes to seep out of the pot when I water my plants. Usually, a time lag of about one to two seconds for me is considered pretty well-draining if I have a deep pot; for smaller pots (like the famous black square pots) my time for them is less than one second. After that, I'll do a soil check to see if it's compacted, or see if anything is the matter.

I don't like the feel of perlite, so I use potting mix and vermiculite liberally, and do a soil change every year or so. Yups.

Oh, I get only between four to six hours of afternoon sun.

Sky

#20 User is offline   patriciaong 

• PipPip

Posted 30 April 2009 - 06:01 PM

Young leaves grown in a cluster at the top of my young basil plant. Is there anything wrong with my plant? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users