• 4 Pages +
  • Last »

Vitex Trifolia - mosquito repellent plant makes news

#1 User is offline   shamrock 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 22 February 2009 - 08:46 PM

vitex trifolia is used as a mosquito repellent in samoa. this same herb has also been making waves recently in indonesia for sharply bringing down the cases of dengue in a village.

vitex trifolia is easily planted using cuttings. it can also be propagated through seeds, but this is reportedly difficult.

here are pictures of the plant as posted in toptropicals.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v496/shamrockv/GCS/vitextrifolia.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v496/shamrockv/GCS/vitextrifolia1.jpg

vitex trifolia in the news:
... We are also promoting a ‘new spirit’ ideology – it’s about going green and preserving our heritage. One of the ways we are doing that is by growing and using the liligundhi tree [Vitex trifolia L] to reduce mosquitoes and dengue,” says Dana, who was awarded by Bali’s PSN, the government mosquito eradication unit, for his success in the fight against mosquito and dengue levels in his community.
... His solution is simple – grow liligundhi in a pot if you live in an apartment or in the garden if you have the space.
http://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2009/02...tional-way.html
similar article in The Star http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=...1&sec=focus

another article:
Balinese people in Sanur are claiming major success in planting a mosquito repelling plant around their houses. The plant is Liligundi (Vitex Trifolia) and it is also being used to make repelling incense. It is said that since a program started to plant Liligundi dengue cases in Sanur have fallen by up to 80%. http://www.mrfixitba.../article29.html

This post has been edited by shamrock: 22 February 2009 - 08:51 PM

#2 User is offline   Herb Lover 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 22 February 2009 - 08:58 PM

View Postshamrock, on Feb 22 2009, 08:46 PM, said:

vitex trifolia is used as a mosquito repellent in samoa. this same herb has also been making waves recently in indonesia for sharply bringing down the cases of dengue in a village.

vitex trifolia is easily planted using cuttings. it can also be propagated through seeds, but this is reportedly difficult.

here are pictures of the plant as posted in toptropicals.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v496/shamrockv/GCS/vitextrifolia.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v496/shamrockv/GCS/vitextrifolia1.jpg

vitex trifolia in the news:
... We are also promoting a 'new spirit' ideology – it's about going green and preserving our heritage. One of the ways we are doing that is by growing and using the liligundhi tree [Vitex trifolia L] to reduce mosquitoes and dengue," says Dana, who was awarded by Bali's PSN, the government mosquito eradication unit, for his success in the fight against mosquito and dengue levels in his community.
... His solution is simple – grow liligundhi in a pot if you live in an apartment or in the garden if you have the space.
http://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2009/02...tional-way.html
similar article in The Star http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=...1&sec=focus

another article:
Balinese people in Sanur are claiming major success in planting a mosquito repelling plant around their houses. The plant is Liligundi (Vitex Trifolia) and it is also being used to make repelling incense. It is said that since a program started to plant Liligundi dengue cases in Sanur have fallen by up to 80%. http://www.mrfixitba.../article29.html

Hi Shamrock,

I use mine more for the fragrance. Smelling the crushed leaves or berries makes me feel very relaxed:P No wonder it is used in SPAs too! :)/>

For anti-mozzie purposes, I take it that we need to burn the leaves to repel mozzies? Planting it alons is not enough to repel those blood suckers right?

Am trying out another plant called Zodia now. Apparently it can repel mozzies within a 3ft radius.

Cheers!

HL

#3 User is offline   shamrock 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 22 February 2009 - 09:19 PM

View PostHerb Lover, on Feb 22 2009, 08:58 PM, said:

Hi Shamrock,

I use mine more for the fragrance. Smelling the crushed leaves or berries makes me feel very relaxed:P No wonder it is used in SPAs too! :)/>

For anti-mozzie purposes, I take it that we need to burn the leaves to repel mozzies? Planting it alons is not enough to repel those blood suckers right?

Am trying out another plant called Zodia now. Apparently it can repel mozzies within a 3ft radius.

Cheers!

HL

would probably be better to burn it, HL. but he says should plant if you have the space so i guess one can never have too many! :)/>

#4 User is offline   pcw 

• PipPip

Posted 22 February 2009 - 09:29 PM

Oh, may i know where can i get this plant then?

#5 User is offline   shamrock 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 22 February 2009 - 09:36 PM

View Postpcw, on Feb 22 2009, 09:29 PM, said:

from someone who has the plant? i have but i am in malaysia.

ah, it seems WF has lots.

This post has been edited by shamrock: 22 February 2009 - 09:38 PM

#6 User is offline   pot2wok 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 22 February 2009 - 09:37 PM

View PostHerb Lover, on Feb 22 2009, 08:58 PM, said:

Cheers!

HL

hi hl, can post updates of your experience with zodia? i can't burn plants at my place or i'll have the security guards scrambling to put out the fire :hysterical:/> if the zodia does not need to be burnt or have the leaves crushed to repel mozzies, i'm interested. i don't have much of a mozzie problem, but better be safe than sorry.

can post pics of the plant and advise where u bought it?

tia

#7 User is offline   nature lover 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 22 February 2009 - 09:38 PM

I have made tea using the vitex leaves. I guess I used too many leaves : the smell was very strong.
I have known people who take the fresh leaves: just chew them and swallow(supposed to be good for people suffering from diabetes)

Now I will try to drink the tea again and hopefully the mozzies will stay away from me.

#8 User is offline   nature lover 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 22 February 2009 - 09:41 PM

View Postpcw, on Feb 22 2009, 09:29 PM, said:

I threw away a lot of cuttings and leaves only last Saturday but I can still give u a cutting. Pse pm me. Where are u located?

#9 User is offline   Herb Lover 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 22 February 2009 - 09:43 PM

View Postpot2wok, on Feb 22 2009, 09:37 PM, said:

hi hl, can post updates of your experience with zodia? i can't burn plants at my place or i'll have the security guards scrambling to put out the fire :hysterical:/> if the zodia does not need to be burnt or have the leaves crushed to repel mozzies, i'm interested. i don't have much of a mozzie problem, but better be safe than sorry.

can post pics of the plant and advise where u bought it?

tia

Okie...will let you know in a months time or earlier as mine is still a seedling. :P/> It is a gift from a friend but I think WF has it too. :)/>

Cheers!

HL

#10 User is offline   newtogardening 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 13 March 2009 - 02:31 PM

oh goodness.. looking at this thread makes me want to go to World Farm - never been there. hm.. the staff there knowledgeable or does someone have a more common name for this plant?

#11 User is offline   Herb Lover 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 13 March 2009 - 06:29 PM

View Postnewtogardening, on Mar 13 2009, 02:31 PM, said:

oh goodness.. looking at this thread makes me want to go to World Farm - never been there. hm.. the staff there knowledgeable or does someone have a more common name for this plant?

Which one? The Vitex Trifolia (Arabian Lilac) or the Zodia? You might want to check with Adrian of WF if you want to look for Zodia. Or you can pop over to AMK nursery to have a good look at the Zodia too. AMK has lots and the folks there knows what a zodia looks like! :)/>

Cheers!

HL

#12 User is offline   skyfiery 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Photography. Nature. Horseback-riding. Nature. Spirituality. Esoteric beliefs. Philosophy. Astronomy. Canines. Lupines. Golden eagles. Native American and Celtic cultures.

Posted 13 March 2009 - 11:11 PM

View Postnewtogardening, on Mar 13 2009, 02:31 PM, said:

Hey newtogardening,

The vitex trifolia and vitex rotundifolia (I think it's this, at least) at World Farm are all over 2 meters tall. So unless you can house those, best to talk to Mr. Lee for advice. :)/> There's a third kind which both Mr. Lee and I can't remember the name, but they have only one pot left and are not selling.

Sky

#13 User is offline   Chawanmushi 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Trying to get green things to grow at Chawan's Landing!

Posted 22 March 2009 - 11:04 AM

May I know what kind of conditions does this plant require to grow well. Bright sunlight? Bright area ? Shaded area?

#14 User is offline   skyfiery 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Photography. Nature. Horseback-riding. Nature. Spirituality. Esoteric beliefs. Philosophy. Astronomy. Canines. Lupines. Golden eagles. Native American and Celtic cultures.

Posted 22 March 2009 - 11:11 AM

View PostChawanmushi, on Mar 22 2009, 11:04 AM, said:

May I know what kind of conditions does this plant require to grow well. Bright sunlight? Bright area ? Shaded area?

Heys C.,

The trifolia and rotundifolia over at WF are given full sun conditions and they're trees. Around 2m in height.

I'm growing from cuttings and it seems that about 4 to 6 hours of direct sunlight and/or bright shade is good enough for them.

Sky

#15 User is offline   shamrock 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 22 March 2009 - 11:14 AM

View Postskyfiery, on Mar 22 2009, 11:11 AM, said:

Heys C.,

The trifolia and rotundifolia over at WF are given full sun conditions and they're trees. Around 2m in height.

I'm growing from cuttings and it seems that about 4 to 6 hours of direct sunlight and/or bright shade is good enough for them.

Sky

you can control the height and prune it constantly so it remains a shrub. but yes, it can be big if left to grow naturally in the ground.

#16 User is offline   Chawanmushi 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Trying to get green things to grow at Chawan's Landing!

Posted 23 March 2009 - 01:54 PM

Skyfiery and shamrock ....thanks for your reply :-)

#17 User is offline   skyfiery 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 14 May 2009 - 04:43 PM

Updates on my vitex trifolia from WF.

Barely a few months after rooting the cuttings, my vitex trifolia has grown really tall and lush, putting out larger leaves, and currently also putting out flowers.

It’s a plant that is easy to root through stem cuttings. Of course, one can always encourage rooting by peeling off its outer bark about one inch from the bottom of the cutting and applying rooting hormone.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2070/3530757834_419a8c5f7e.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3551/3530756520_85313cee3b.jpg

Sky

#18 User is offline   Skechid 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Anything that's easy to grow and doesn't require CRAZY amounts of sun, water, care and can take a lil neglect. *ahem*

Posted 14 May 2009 - 05:02 PM

What are the conditions required for this plant? And does anyone have a cutting to share?

#19 User is offline   skyfiery 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 14 May 2009 - 05:10 PM

View PostSkechid, on May 14 2009, 05:02 PM, said:

What are the conditions required for this plant? And does anyone have a cutting to share?

I simply give mine ample water and it gets about four to six hours of sun a day.

If you like I think I can prune and pass you a couple of cuttings or something.

Sky

#20 User is offline   shamrock 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 14 May 2009 - 05:25 PM

great going, sky. it looks good! mine needs a prune.

i helped myself to a few cuttings when i came across a rambling VT bush by the roadside the other day. :)/>

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • Last »

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users