GCS Forum: My Fittonia - GCS Forum

• 3 Pages +

My Fittonia

#41 User is offline   Chawanmushi 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Trying to get green things to grow at Chawan's Landing!

Posted 28 April 2009 - 12:59 AM

View PostSerene, on Apr 27 2009, 04:29 PM, said:

present my DIY terrarium, not bad right ?

http://i476.photobucket.com/albums/rr126/slim013130/SANY2450.jpg

It's a nice set up!

#42 User is offline   meong 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 28 April 2009 - 08:29 AM

View PostSerene, on Apr 27 2009, 05:59 PM, said:

present my DIY terrarium, not bad right ?

http://i476.photobucket.com/albums/rr126/slim013130/SANY2450.jpg

Hi Serene, that is a nice set up. Care to share the maintenance and upkeeping.

#43 User is offline   Serene 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Episcias, sinningias, achimenes ,orchids and edibles

Posted 28 April 2009 - 09:17 AM

View Postmaggie, on Apr 27 2009, 11:10 PM, said:

wow, serene, it looks very expensive and classy. great JOB! you have very creative hands! how much is the damage for this pretty thing?

how often do you intend to water it? maybe can mist daily right?

Only pay abt $10 for the plants and stones, fish tank kept in store room for long after no fish. plan to water it once at week.

#44 User is offline   meong 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 07 April 2011 - 08:53 PM

Big clump of fittonia. not sure if want to cut it.
http://i358.photobucket.com/albums/oo27/meonghc/DSC_2814.jpg

http://i358.photobucket.com/albums/oo27/meonghc/DSC_2815.jpg

#45 User is offline   vsblur 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 28 May 2011 - 06:41 PM

Wow Meong!
Your fitts are so georgeous!! Ive been reading this thread for a while n love your pixs. Ive tried to grow them as well but all of them seem to fail & give up on me. The 2 green veins on white & red leaves all have lost their leaves. and are only left with stems. Ive bagged it and trying desperately to revive it. ive recently bought another 2 which are the white and red pointy leaves one(not sure the names) last week. Just cldnt resist! I'm just afraid to repot them coz they might die on me again!!! :(/> All my previous pots I've repotted them into peat moss and some perlite. Looks like its not too well draining?

Could you advise how you managed to grow them? I've read your soil conditions, but how often do you fertilise them & water them. I've tried watering them daily & realised they get soggy and seem to weaken. Do you mist them or really water the soil thoroughly??
Thanks.

#46 User is offline   Il Pirata 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Low Maintenance plants which do well in a very limited space on a HDB corridor that receives seasonal sunlight

Posted 28 May 2011 - 07:35 PM

View Postvsblur, on 28 May 2011 - 06:41 PM, said:

Wow Meong!
Your fitts are so georgeous!! Ive been reading this thread for a while n love your pixs. Ive tried to grow them as well but all of them seem to fail & give up on me. The 2 green veins on white & red leaves all have lost their leaves. and are only left with stems. Ive bagged it and trying desperately to revive it. ive recently bought another 2 which are the white and red pointy leaves one(not sure the names) last week. Just cldnt resist! I'm just afraid to repot them coz they might die on me again!!! :(/> All my previous pots I've repotted them into peat moss and some perlite. Looks like its not too well draining?

Could you advise how you managed to grow them? I've read your soil conditions, but how often do you fertilise them & water them. I've tried watering them daily & realised they get soggy and seem to weaken. Do you mist them or really water the soil thoroughly??
Thanks.

vsblur - I've the same problem as you. Its due to lack of humidity. They don't like very wet soil, but they need high hhumidity all day long.

#47 User is offline   dinosaurr 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 11 June 2011 - 12:11 PM

View PostIl Pirata, on 28 May 2011 - 07:35 PM, said:

vsblur - I've the same problem as you. Its due to lack of humidity. They don't like very wet soil, but they need high hhumidity all day long.

Hey Il Pirata,

Try growing it with water underneath- i change the tray of water every day to deter mozzies. The other trick i saw shawnchen post about- was to put the pot on a piece of old carpet and water - so the carpet retains the mositure and keeps the humidity, but the pot drains excess water. I've not tried the 2nd method but it sounds do-able.
Here's my setup
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5228/5820231982_48aef45f2b.jpg

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users