GCS Forum: Tiny White Bugs - GCS Forum

Page 1 of 1

Tiny White Bugs what are they?

#1 User is offline   Xmen2 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 13 January 2009 - 11:21 AM

I bought a basil plant from a nursery shop a few weeks ago. Recently, I notice there are some very tiny white color bugs on the leaves of the basil, they are so tiny that you need to get really close to the leaves in order to see them, and they move quite slowly.

May I know are those bugs good or bad? And how to I get rid of them (if they are bad)? :unsure:/>

#2 User is offline   skyfiery 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Photography. Nature. Horseback-riding. Nature. Spirituality. Esoteric beliefs. Philosophy. Astronomy. Canines. Lupines. Golden eagles. Native American and Celtic cultures.

Posted 13 January 2009 - 11:39 AM

View PostXmen2, on Jan 13 2009, 11:21 AM, said:

I bought a basil plant from a nursery shop a few weeks ago. Recently, I notice there are some very tiny white color bugs on the leaves of the basil, they are so tiny that you need to get really close to the leaves in order to see them, and they move quite slowly.

May I know are those bugs good or bad? And how to I get rid of them (if they are bad)? :unsure:/>

Hey Xmen2, do you have any pictures of the bugs?

Offhand, I can only think of two common kinds which are white - mealies, and white flies.

Mealies rarely move, and white flies move around quite fast. So either also sounds a bit strange to me.

If it's either, it's not good news, and you should get rid of them ASAP.

Sky

#3 User is offline   crazyjellie 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 13 January 2009 - 11:47 AM

could it be aphids?

#4 User is offline   Xmen2 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 13 January 2009 - 10:28 PM

sorry, i am still new to all these bugs staff ... how does aphids look like? ... I tried to take photo of the bugs, but they are too small to be seen in the photo, the size is about 1/10th of a piece of rice ... anyway, how should i deal with them?

I do not want to use insect killer which may contain toxic chemicals as my wife will use the basil leaves for cooking, any suggestion?

#5 User is offline   minghong86 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 13 January 2009 - 10:32 PM

Buy organic pesticide. They are available in plant nurseries. After spraying them, there is a certain period u cant use the leaves. Read the label to c the time lag

#6 User is offline   skyfiery 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Photography. Nature. Horseback-riding. Nature. Spirituality. Esoteric beliefs. Philosophy. Astronomy. Canines. Lupines. Golden eagles. Native American and Celtic cultures.

Posted 13 January 2009 - 10:50 PM

You can also try to mix dishwashing liquid with vegetable oil with water and use a a spray.

Or mash garlic, chilli (anything spicy) in water and boil it, then use the water to spray on the bugs. Put the boiled water in the fridge, or else it'd decompose and smell.

Sky

#7 User is offline   pino 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 14 January 2009 - 09:22 AM

Hi Xmen2

how can we live w/o wikipedia.
pls kindly click on the following link.
hope can give you some ideas.

good luck.

regards
pino

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mealybug

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whitefly

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aphid

#8 User is offline   Xmen2 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 14 January 2009 - 09:47 PM

Thank you ... based on the description in wiki, and some pictures i found by googling, i think the bugs on my basil leaves are mealybug :wacko:/>

just now mentioned the pesticide suggested here to my wife, but she doesn't like the idea of using dishwashing liquid, she said it contain chemicals ... may i know can i boil lemon grass leaves in water, and use that as a pesticide to get rid of mealybug? :huh:/>

#9 User is offline   Xmen2 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 17 January 2009 - 09:34 PM

spent the whole afternoon catching the mealy bugs on my basil plant, i don't have a good camera to take close shots of those bugs, but managed to find some pictures from another thread in this forum, they look exactly like the mealy bugs on my basil plant ...

Bottom view

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a110/spheredome/Part2/mealybug_close800x554.jpg

Side view, left is the head.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a110/spheredome/Part2/mealybug_side800x506.jpg

i caught about 20+ of them, when I squeeze them, they will burst and some yellow liquid leaking out :wacko:/>

there are some black stuff under the leaves, guess they are so called "honeydew" produced by the mealy bugs, i also found a lot of white stuff, are they the eggs of mealy bugs or their urine?

tomorrow will continue my bug hunting, and will try to use boiled lemon grass water to spray my basil ... :D/>

#10 User is offline   miico 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 18 January 2009 - 01:09 AM

so scary...

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users