• 27 Pages +
  • Last »

Wisteria's Garden

#21 User is offline   kelmund 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 15 November 2008 - 10:36 PM

foreign flowers mah ...anyway i also just gotten 4 o'clock. how its look like in sg har?

anyone with flower pict to show. anyway i agree with Wisteria that plant in real life = ugly in photo ugly plant becomes

ANGELS

btw sis how's the mouse gourd cutting doing? can grow or not?

This post has been edited by kelmund: 15 November 2008 - 11:24 PM

#22 User is offline   skyfiery 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Photography. Nature. Horseback-riding. Nature. Spirituality. Esoteric beliefs. Philosophy. Astronomy. Canines. Lupines. Golden eagles. Native American and Celtic cultures.

Posted 15 November 2008 - 10:43 PM

Very very nice flowers and plants, Wisteria. Would you be able to show us general pictures of how your garden looks like? :)/>

Sky

#23 User is offline   Wisteria 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 16 November 2008 - 10:36 AM

View Postkelmund, on Nov 15 2008, 10:36 PM, said:

how's the mouse gourd cutting doing? can grow or not?

The end above the "bent" section becomes limp & turns black while the other end is showing signs of rotting. No roots yet. Will monitor for another week. Most probably will have to grow the mouse gourd from seeds. Hope you have a good crop of lao shu gua soon.

This post has been edited by Wisteria: 16 November 2008 - 10:49 AM

#24 User is offline   prana 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Reading, Holistic Health, Gamelan, Languages and Culture, Composting, Vermicomposting, Nature and Natural History, Biodiversity, Soil Food Web, Beneficial fungi and microbes, Food Forest, Permaculture, Heirlooms Edibles and Conservation, Greens and Salads, Fruits, Chickens, Goats, Urban Farming

Posted 16 November 2008 - 12:17 PM

oh wow...what a nice place...love the rustic looking fences. Ur place have lots of potential

#25 User is offline   Wisteria 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 17 November 2008 - 10:19 AM

View Postprana, on Nov 16 2008, 12:17 PM, said:

Ur place have lots of potential

I'm still in the midst of growing several flowering plants from seeds & cuttings. Too much greenery at present with half the grounds covered by grass. I mainly grow the edibles in the backgarden so people who walk past my place won't be able to see the various vines hanging overhead or creeping all over the ground. kelmund has actually suggested I grow the large yunnan pumpkin in the front garden (see picture 1 posted yesterday). One problem of having creeping vines is that the gardeners can't cut the grass where the vines are.

During the most recent grasscutting session, the gardener cut off my pumpkin vines (there were developing fruits). I knew he did it on purpose because he was specifically told not to cut the grass surrounding the creeping vines. He even cut off part of my moon vine & bittergourd vines (these weren't even on the ground). I only managed to get a refund of $10 but I lost all the potential pumpkins I could harvest.

#26 User is offline   skyfiery 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Photography. Nature. Horseback-riding. Nature. Spirituality. Esoteric beliefs. Philosophy. Astronomy. Canines. Lupines. Golden eagles. Native American and Celtic cultures.

Posted 17 November 2008 - 10:42 AM

Very nice place, and really full of potential.

Do you stay to watch the people as they grasscut? I think you should. Then at least the job can be done and you'll be there to supervise things...

Sky

#27 User is offline   Kingfisher 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 17 November 2008 - 10:49 AM

You got lots of space for many plants.

#28 User is offline   Kingfisher 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 17 November 2008 - 10:53 AM

View PostNeverend, on Nov 15 2008, 10:04 PM, said:

Interesting, I realise some flowers bloom weirdly. My 4' O Clock doesn't bloom in the evening, but rather at night.

I don't know why it's called 4' O Clock flower but in Hokkien we call it "gor tiam hui" (5 O Clock flower).

#29 User is offline   Wisteria 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 17 November 2008 - 01:11 PM

View Postskyfiery, on Nov 17 2008, 10:42 AM, said:

Do you stay to watch the people as they grasscut? I think you should. Then at least the job can be done and you'll be there to supervise things...

Yes, we watch closely from a distance but not for every single minute. They will take at least 2 hours to cut the grass & clear everything. They don't like to be under close scrutiny. I have been growing pumpkins for the past 12 months. We always give them clear instructions not to cut the grass near the vines. They happily followed the instructions earlier on because it was so much less work for them since 5 pumpkin vines covered a lot of space. The gardener must be in a bad mood that day when he decided to cut extras besides grass. He even denied cutting off the pumpkin vines!

#30 User is offline   Wisteria 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 17 November 2008 - 05:24 PM

My cat is also a plant lover!
http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg262/amazon-blue/toffee2.jpg

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg262/amazon-blue/cat3.jpg

I'm growing Datura metel at the moment. My cat doesn't go near the seedlings. I will have to transplant the seedlings soon. Trying to find the best location to grow them.

To members who have cats at home & who grow daturas:
Is your cat attracted to daturas or repelled by daturas?
How do you ensure the poisonous plant doesn't pose a danger to your cat?
My cat roams freely in the garden.

#31 User is offline   crazyjellie 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 18 November 2008 - 10:01 PM

wow, you have so much space to play with
can consider letting out some space for us to grow our plants :P/>

#32 User is offline   Wisteria 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 19 November 2008 - 09:58 AM

Geri, you will have to dig the plot & amend the soil yourself. No fragile or temperate plants. Only very hardy, heat tolerant & pest resistant plants can survive the harsh conditions in my garden. This is the main reason why the plants in my garden are mainly the very common ones (like those grown along roadsides) which require low or no maintenance.

This post has been edited by Wisteria: 19 November 2008 - 09:59 AM

#33 User is offline   pino 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 19 November 2008 - 10:12 AM

not only your cat is a plant lover, i think your cat love plant with nice fragrance too... :P/>
(your cat is trying very hard to scent the fragrance from the den that unfortunatelly there isn't any :(/> )

#34 User is offline   hapi3366 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 19 November 2008 - 12:14 PM

View Postpino, on Nov 19 2008, 10:12 AM, said:

not only your cat is a plant lover, i think your cat love plant with nice fragrance too... :P/>
(your cat is trying very hard to scent the fragrance from the den that unfortunatelly there isn't any :(/> )

nope... think the cat is thinking a way to pluck the flower n present to it girlfriend... :hysterical:/>

#35 User is offline   Wisteria 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 19 November 2008 - 12:40 PM

Belinda, your eyes are really sharp! Just by looking at photos & you know my cat is male.
My cat has been sterilised, so it's not interested in female cats. In fact, during mating season, it will even run away from neighbourhood female stray cats that approached it.

I observe that a lot of cats like to be surrounded by plants. I always find neighbourhood kittens playing hide-and-seek or sleeping in my flowerbeds. One of my previous cats used to take his daily naps among the flowers.

#36 User is offline   hapi3366 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 19 November 2008 - 12:48 PM

haha :hysterical:/>
hasing a nice owner like you.. yr cats will hv wonderful playground and nap area... green n peace

This post has been edited by hapi3366: 19 November 2008 - 02:03 PM

#37 User is offline   anton 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:I luv design, art, fashion and photography. Planting beautiful and colourful flowers is my passion since childhood. I always fascinate them since before, I think Flowers are the most beautiful thing on earth (Even high end fashion is nothing compare with them he he).

Posted 20 November 2008 - 08:50 AM

wow...your garden is HUGE! i'm jealous.. :P/> he he he

#38 User is offline   Wisteria 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 20 November 2008 - 09:07 AM

Don't know exact area but more than 3000 sq ft for the garden. Maybe the garden looks bigger in photos.
I'm also jealous of other people who have beautiful landscaped gardens. Have been staying at current place for many years. Many plants come & go over the years. I'm growing some new plants to replace those that are nearing the end of their plant lives. I don't have as many choices as most of you because I can only grow plants that can take full-day direct sun in the open.

#39 User is offline   hapi3366 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 20 November 2008 - 09:18 AM

View PostWisteria, on Nov 20 2008, 09:07 AM, said:

Don't know exact area but more than 3000 sq ft for the garden. Maybe the garden looks bigger in photos.
I'm also jealous of other people who have beautiful landscaped gardens. Have been staying at current place for many years. Many plants come & go over the years. I'm growing some new plants to replace those that are nearing the end of their plant lives. I don't have as many choices as most of you because I can only grow plants that can take full-day direct sun in the open.

why not do a make shift shelter corner, go and buy the sun shade cloth and DIY yrself the rack.
haha if not maybe some members will kind enough to help you for the setup...
so u will have more to grow.. no more excuse with so big area hor...

#40 User is offline   Wisteria 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 20 November 2008 - 09:34 AM

View Posthapi3366, on Nov 20 2008, 09:18 AM, said:

why not do a make shift shelter corner, go and buy the sun shade cloth and DIY yrself the rack.
haha if not maybe some members will kind enough to help you for the setup...
so u will have more to grow.. no more excuse with so big area hor...

We have covered patio in front & at the back of the house. My seedlings & some of the more fragile plants are placed under shelter. Even then, day temperature is still above 30oC in the sheltered area.

Share this topic:

• 27 Pages +
  • Last »

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users