• 2 Pages +

Alocasia

#1 User is offline   HortVet 

• Flowering & Foliage Plants Advisor
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:all sorts of plants

Posted 19 June 2005 - 12:09 PM

has been identified as Alocasia infinalis. This is a tissue cultured plant , TC-ed at YG nursery. I think we see a lot of YG plants in Singpaore as well- eg begonias etc. The pot has the letters "YG" written on it. Does anybody know more about this nursery?
Won't mind risking a rough and long journey to pick up plants like this!!!

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v336/HortVet/alocasiainfinalis.jpg[/img]

#2 User is offline   prana 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Reading, Holistic Health, Gamelan, Languages and Culture, Composting, Vermicomposting, Nature and Natural History, Biodiversity, Soil Food Web, Beneficial fungi and microbes, Food Forest, Permaculture, Heirlooms Edibles and Conservation, Greens and Salads, Fruits, Chickens, Goats, Urban Farming

Posted 20 June 2005 - 08:26 PM

Hi Hortvet,

Whose plant is this? Look nice...Is it yours? Im into alocasias too... :flowers:/>

Where is YC nursery? What do they have? if you going, i would like to join you :drink:

#3 User is offline   HortVet 

• PipPipPip

Posted 20 June 2005 - 08:34 PM

prana said:

Hi Hortvet,

Whose plant is this? Look nice...Is it yours? Im into alocasias too... :flowers:/>  

Where is YC nursery? What do they have? if you going, i would like to join you  :drink:

yeah, I bought this pot. It's YG, and I don't know where it is , maybe KL or Cameron?? Does anybody know? I've seen their plants in Far East.
Outing anyone?? :cool:

#4 User is offline   HortVet 

• PipPipPip

Posted 07 July 2005 - 07:55 PM

went to Far East Queensway branch and there wasn't an alocasia in sight!!
had to go to the joan rd stretch and got them- 2 infinalis (not sure of spelling), 2 melo and 1 chaii. Got them at Goodwood; Far east has good condition melo still, the ones at Goodwood were a bit etiolated, but anywayz...
Re-potted all of them, a few had anaks coming up..
Removed all that peat and sphagnum moss- root growth was good in all plants and no signs of disease, although the Alocasia chaii had a lot of black spots on the stem and undersides of leaves. I couldn't rub it off, so not scales. Fungus I suppose? The plant looked healthy enough, so I bought it.

#5 User is offline   prana 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Reading, Holistic Health, Gamelan, Languages and Culture, Composting, Vermicomposting, Nature and Natural History, Biodiversity, Soil Food Web, Beneficial fungi and microbes, Food Forest, Permaculture, Heirlooms Edibles and Conservation, Greens and Salads, Fruits, Chickens, Goats, Urban Farming

Posted 16 July 2005 - 02:02 PM

I think i got the alocasia bug... :sick: :sick:

Anyone knows of any good books on alocasias? Im so confused among alocasia, colocasia and xanthasoma. Alot of nurseries like to label alocasia-looking plants as alocasia. I have searched the web but not much help. I search Amazon and the closest book there is, is "Aroids" by Deni Bown. Anyone got this book? Any comments?

Was looking at this book index pages and saw Alocasia singaporensis. Hmm...i assume a native of Singapore? And another website mentioning Alocasia denudata to be from Singapore too. Anyone seen these plants before?

#6 User is offline   islaverde 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:tree ferns, orchids, mosses, fragrant plants, anthuriums, alocasias, xanthosomas, monsteras, philodendrons, tropical america flora, heliconias, gingers, calatheas, creepers, forest ecology

Posted 16 July 2005 - 02:35 PM

Are you interested to take care of a Xanthosoma sagittofolium baby? This is not the Xanthosoma robustum or Xanthosoma malfafa you find in the swampy areas in Singapore. This one is from its native neotropics.

#7 User is offline   prana 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 22 July 2005 - 03:42 AM

Hi

Anyone can help me identify any of the plants in this url:
Noids alocasia

My Alocasia infernalis:

Side view
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b79/pestanah/Ainfernalis1b.jpg

Top view
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b79/pestanah/Ainfernalis1a.jpg

A very handsome plant from Borneo but dont know why not many fans.

#8 User is offline   islaverde 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:tree ferns, orchids, mosses, fragrant plants, anthuriums, alocasias, xanthosomas, monsteras, philodendrons, tropical america flora, heliconias, gingers, calatheas, creepers, forest ecology

Posted 22 July 2005 - 09:14 AM

NOID 4,5,6 all Alocasia macrorhizza.

NOID with the white veinis should be Alocasia "Frysdek" or something like that.

NOID with the purple color under leaves should be Alocasia plumbae or a primary hybrid.

#9 User is offline   prana 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 22 July 2005 - 05:04 PM

Hi islaverde

thx for id-ing the noids for me..
Hmm is noid 4 a purple petiole variety of alo. macrorhizza which u have mentioned b4?

#10 User is offline   islaverde 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 17 August 2005 - 01:09 PM

Another nice Alocasia (to tempt prana)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v254/motane/237cf2c4.jpg

#11 User is offline   prana 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 17 August 2005 - 02:31 PM

islaverde!!! wahhhh....wats the name? is it urs? pretty...pretty... :flowers:/> :hammer:

YG is at Cameron highlands? wow...hmm...i hope i order plant directly from them......

#12 User is offline   pino 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 02 February 2006 - 03:11 PM

Im so confused among alocasia, colocasia and xanthasoma. Alot of nurseries like to label alocasia-looking plants as alocasia.

Don't think these people know much about Alocasia or Colocasia or even Xanthasoma.

If I am not mistaken, leaf of alocasia always pointing up while leaf of colocasia always pointing downward. As for Xanthasoma, the leaf point upward as well, but if u drop a few drops of water on it, they will turn into water ball. As for alocasia, it will just get wet.

Well, I am not a expert on it. But this is wat I observe from my Alocasia (have a few types), 1 colocasia & 1 xanthsoma.

#13 User is offline   prana 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 03 February 2006 - 01:57 AM

Im not too sure myself with the differences between them. I believe Islaverde is an expert in this. I do agree with u that many nurseries really dont know what they are selling which is a pity. What i do know is that alocasia are mostly from South East Asia and xanthasoma from the Americas...i think......heeeee

I would prefer to get alocasias from Malesiana since i think the owner really know what he is selling. They have quite a collection of alocasias. But ordering plants from overseas is a real gamble coz u nvr know whether the plant is healthy in the 1st place or whether it can survive the journey.

#14 User is offline   islaverde 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 03 February 2006 - 08:54 AM

prana said:

What i do know is that alocasia are mostly from South East Asia and xanthasoma from the Americas...i think......heeeee

see, prana also expert.

#15 User is offline   pino 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 03 February 2006 - 09:11 AM

I wonder why the new leaves can become smaller then the old leaves?
Are they getting older or need more "supplement"??

#16 User is offline   prana 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 03 February 2006 - 02:59 PM

oh yeah ...i have similar problem with some of my alocasias. My A melo have shorter petioles but larger leaf on the newer leaves whereas my A reginula is have smaller leaf and shorter petiole.

Im guessing it could be the plant is too big for the pot or not enough nutrients. I think alocasias like rich soil. I find that they can also grow better if the light source comes from the top. Otherwise, they will grow one sided.

#17 User is offline   pino 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 08 February 2006 - 11:11 PM

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/winewinewest...scd.jpg&.src=ph

my xanthasoma got this big pot from one of the nursery.

#18 User is offline   islaverde 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 09 February 2006 - 09:32 AM

pino: this xanthosoma is the common local one. Not very tall. Xanthosoma sagittofolium on the other hand can grow up to 7-8 feet and has leaves up to 1 metre long. But don't think you can find it here.

#19 User is offline   prana 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 09 February 2006 - 10:08 AM

isla...i thot u have this Xan. sagittofolium?

#20 User is offline   pino 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 09 February 2006 - 10:27 AM

Impress about the height. U think it will grow that tall if it is being plant on a pot??? :jawdrop:

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users