GCS Forum: Acerola Cherry - GCS Forum

Jump to content

Page 1 of 1

Acerola Cherry

#1 User is offline   looiht 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 133
  • Joined: 04-June 08
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Penang, Malaysia
  • Interests:Plants and martial arts

Posted 06 July 2008 - 02:17 AM

Have a look at my Acerola Cherry. There are 2 varieties, a sweet variety and a sour variety. One cherry of the sour variety has more vitamin C than an orange or any of the other fruits. I have the sour variety. The sweet variety is grown in California.

My Acerola Cherry
http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk156/looiht/IMG_0041.jpg

Another View of my Acerola Cherry
http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk156/looiht/IMG_0042.jpg
0

#2 User is offline   Mamat 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 3033
  • Joined: 30-December 04
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:West Singapore
  • Interests:Plants, Cats, Fish

Posted 13 July 2008 - 09:35 AM

nice cherries

I cant get mine to flower and fruit again
It only did that once.. nice purple/pink flowers.. I ges have o keep trimming the plant to get a nice tough plant..
0

#3 User is offline   pandora 

  • Member
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 11
  • Joined: 22-July 08

Posted 30 July 2008 - 11:29 AM

View Postlooiht, on Jul 6 2008, 02:17 AM, said:

Have a look at my Acerola Cherry. There are 2 varieties, a sweet variety and a sour variety. One cherry of the sour variety has more vitamin C than an orange or any of the other fruits. I have the sour variety. The sweet variety is grown in California.

My Acerola Cherry
http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk156/looiht/IMG_0041.jpg

Another View of my Acerola Cherry
http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk156/looiht/IMG_0042.jpg



I found this plant at my my mom's neighbour's garden. I picked up some of the cherries on the ground and tasted them. It's really sour. There are abt 3 seeds in the cheery..rather flat seeds. Question is...can I plant them from seeds? If yes, what is the rate of growth and possibility of fruiting? Is there another faster and better way of planting?? How do I control growth if planted on ground cos my mom's neighbour's plant seem to grow uncontrollably.
0

#4 User is offline   looiht 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 133
  • Joined: 04-June 08
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Penang, Malaysia
  • Interests:Plants and martial arts

Posted 09 August 2008 - 02:08 AM

Acerola cherries are sour. There is also a sweet variety grown in Mexico and California.

They will also grow from seeds. Those grown from seeds will take a few years to fruit. It is easy enough to marcott (air layering) them. They will root in about 4 weeks. Marcotted plants will fruit in less than a year.

Acerola cherry trees will only grow to a height of about 10 feet, quite a small tree. The tree is really beautiful when it is full of red cherries.

This post has been edited by looiht: 09 August 2008 - 10:13 PM

0

#5 User is offline   steven 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 280
  • Joined: 11-December 07
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Upper Thomson

Posted 26 August 2008 - 01:27 AM

Thank you looiht for all yr postings and pictures! i really enjoy reading them as i m a real fan of fruit trees/plants.
0

#6 User is offline   legarleon 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 119
  • Joined: 27-August 08
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:puchong

Posted 29 September 2008 - 11:35 PM

View Postlooiht, on Aug 9 2008, 02:08 AM, said:

Acerola cherries are sour. There is also a sweet variety grown in Mexico and California.

They will also grow from seeds. Those grown from seeds will take a few years to fruit. It is easy enough to marcott (air layering) them. They will root in about 4 weeks. Marcotted plants will fruit in less than a year.

Acerola cherry trees will only grow to a height of about 10 feet, quite a small tree. The tree is really beautiful when it is full of red cherries.



Uncle Looiht:

How big is your planting area, it seems you are planting a variety of fruit trees.

TW FOONG
0

#7 User is offline   looiht 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 133
  • Joined: 04-June 08
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Penang, Malaysia
  • Interests:Plants and martial arts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 07:40 PM

View Postlegarleon, on Sep 29 2008, 11:35 PM, said:

Uncle Looiht:

How big is your planting area, it seems you are planting a variety of fruit trees.

TW FOONG

My house occupies an area of over 8,000 sq.ft. I have a very big garden.
0

#8 User is offline   shamrock 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 5183
  • Joined: 16-December 04

Posted 30 September 2008 - 08:40 PM

View Postlooiht, on Sep 30 2008, 07:40 PM, said:

My house occupies an area of over 8,000 sq.ft. I have a very big garden.



wowser, looiht!

i'm glad you love gardening cos i think it's such a shame when people have huge gardens and let them go to waste.

This post has been edited by shamrock: 30 September 2008 - 08:41 PM

0

Share this topic:


Page 1 of 1

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users