GCS Forum: How to germinate and grow Cow grass? - GCS Forum

Page 1 of 1

How to germinate and grow Cow grass?

#1 User is offline   steven 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 29 August 2008 - 04:40 PM

can anyone share how to germinate and grow cow grass? I just want to repair certain parts of my lawn or to make it more dense.

#2 User is offline   mm 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 29 August 2008 - 06:57 PM

I presume you're planning do this yourself, and not engage a garden contractor. You might have to call around the nurseries to see if they would sell cow grass.

If the patches are not large, and if other areas can spare it, then you could consider grass-grafting. Actually, there's no such word, but I'm extrapolating it from skin-grafting - which is to remove a patch from somewhere where it won't be missed too much, and transplant onto the area in need. If the conditions are right, they should spread out to fill the space very quickly.

But this is symptomatic treatment. It's best you figure out why the area in question needs patching in the first place. If the grass there is not growing well, then you need to improve the basic conditions - otherwise, it would be wasted effort. Perhaps the area doesn't have sufficient sun - in which case, there is very little you can do, unless the source of the blockage (tree, shelters, house) can be removed. Or it could be drainage issues, pests, unsuitable soil, or even too much foot traffic.

#3 User is offline   steven 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 30 August 2008 - 02:12 AM

Thanks mm for your reply.

Yes, I intend to do the repair myself as there are only certain ares which i need to address.

There are 2 or 3 small patches where it was beneath several large clay pots, of which I have removed. The grass had apparently dried up and looks almost dead now. It has not been able to spread for the last 2 months. I think i can use the grafting method here which you mentioned.

The more problematic area is under the huge Christmas tree ( think it is called the Chinese Juniper?). Here, the round shaded area is about 6 feet in diameter. As a result of the falling needle-like leaves all over and also quite a ot of weeds had taken root here, the grass has almost disappeared completely. My garden faces east and gets very good sun, except for this shaded area.

I would like to ask if it is a good idea to propagate cow grass here again. Pardon my ignorance, can cow grass be propagated from seeds? If can, then i would just simply sow them all over after clearing the weeds. I am just worried the falling needle-like leaves would eventually smother and kill the grass.

If not a good idea, then what can i do to make it better looking? Put pebbles?

#4 User is offline   AhSeng 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 03 September 2008 - 10:13 PM

according to some articles, casuarina tree's fallen needles got an allelopathy effect on other plants. otherwise it is not enough sun to support the grass.

cow grass can grow from seeds. AMK ntuc hypermart got a few packs of some kind of grass seeds at the gardening section, but i didn't see properly is what type of grass.

#5 User is offline   steven 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 04 September 2008 - 03:40 AM

AhSeng, on Sep 3 2008, 10:13 PM, said:

according to some articles, casuarina tree's fallen needles got an allelopathy effect on other plants. otherwise it is not enough sun to support the grass.

cow grass can grow from seeds. AMK ntuc hypermart got a few packs of some kind of grass seeds at the gardening section, but i didn't see properly is what type of grass.

Thanks, I learnt something new today. I just hope my Christmas tree (may be a Chinese Juniper or a Eastern Red Cedar) does not have much of an allelopathy effect on its surroundings.

Maybe I just buy a packet and try growing grass first.

#6 User is offline   digitalgate 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 13 October 2008 - 11:10 AM

i have lots of cow grass to get rid off.

#7 User is offline   steven 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 13 October 2008 - 06:29 PM

digitalgate, on Oct 13 2008, 11:10 AM, said:

i have lots of cow grass to get rid off.

Why? You changing turf?

#8 User is offline   digitalgate 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 13 October 2008 - 09:27 PM

i am getting carpet grass.

#9 User is offline   steven 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 13 October 2008 - 10:06 PM

Can anyone tell me what is bermuda grass? Is it closer to cow grass or carpet grass or pearl grass?

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users