GCS Forum: Herbs that aid in reducing blood glucose level diabetes/thyroid? - GCS Forum

• 2 Pages +

Herbs that aid in reducing blood glucose level diabetes/thyroid?

#1 User is offline   evayang 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 22 August 2008 - 01:27 PM

Hi

Would like to enquire if there are any herbs that could aid in reducing blood glucose level for people with diabetes?

Or any other plants that for thyroid?

Thank you.

#2 User is offline   markc 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 22 August 2008 - 01:34 PM

View Postevayang82, on Aug 22 2008, 01:27 PM, said:

Hi

Would like to enquire if there are any herbs that could aid in reducing blood glucose level for people with diabetes?

Thank you.

Mmmmm Cinnamon?

#3 User is offline   evayang 

• Pip

Posted 22 August 2008 - 01:45 PM

mark,

Thanks for your reply. :)/> nice to know you too

fresh cinnamon? or those that are in powder form or something?

i actually had done some online search and came across information such as tumeric powder that relief diabetes symptoms,
lecaus leaves and curry leaves too.

However, not very sure if it really works, yet to try it.

This post has been edited by evayang82: 22 August 2008 - 01:48 PM

#4 User is offline   skyfiery 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Photography. Nature. Horseback-riding. Nature. Spirituality. Esoteric beliefs. Philosophy. Astronomy. Canines. Lupines. Golden eagles. Native American and Celtic cultures.

Posted 22 August 2008 - 01:57 PM

View Postevayang82, on Aug 22 2008, 01:45 PM, said:

mark,

i actually had done some online search and came across information such as tumeric powder that relief diabetes symptoms,

Hm...not sure if gynostemma works. Or stevia, which is a sugar substitute without the sugar.

HL, you know quite a bit about this right?

Sky

#5 User is offline   shamrock 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 22 August 2008 - 05:10 PM

View Postevayang82, on Aug 22 2008, 01:27 PM, said:

Hi

Thank you.

you may want to try andrographis paniculata for diabetes - steep 3-4 leaves in a cup of hot water. did you read the discussion on miracle berry/fruit - not a cure for diabetic patients but will be much appreciated by them i think.

#6 User is offline   markc 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 22 August 2008 - 06:27 PM

View Postevayang82, on Aug 22 2008, 01:45 PM, said:

mark,

Don't know. I was looking for cinnamon extract and can't find it here in singapore. Online information show that it can help reduce sugar level in blood stream. But some mention that it is best to boil the cinnamon stick yourself instead. As the desirable medicine is water soluble while some other undesirable chemical is soluble only in alcohol.

Cinnamon powder available in the market are just ground cinnamon stick. Which is also not recommended by some webpage. Something about buildup of these powder in body that might cause unknown effect.

Do let me know if you manage to find Cinnamon extract liquid. I need to get some too.

#7 User is offline   spheredome 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 22 August 2008 - 07:06 PM

Cinnamon is widely published in web and news paper. Mind and Body journal stated to buy cinnamon stick and put them into hot cup water and drink like normal water.
Cinnamon sticks is easily avail from supermarket dried good section. But those that has been cleaned.

The above is with disclaimer. Diabetes need constant monitoring be in place regardless of remedies.

#8 User is offline   Shireen 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 22 August 2008 - 09:49 PM

While I really agree with spheredome, some traditional remedies are probably harmless and may help. One I have heard of is bittergourd, especially the small one. The other is noni fruit.

#9 User is offline   ^five 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 22 August 2008 - 09:57 PM

View PostShireen, on Aug 22 2008, 09:49 PM, said:

While I really agree with spheredome, some traditional remedies are probably harmless and may help. One I have heard of is bittergourd, especially the small one. The other is noni fruit.

Hi, i heard of bittergourd too. But big or small (size) doesn't matter. :flowers:/> You can use it to make in to soup and drink it (it tastes superd if you boiled it with pork ribs and add lots of onion), or if the person does not mind, make them into juice and drink it. :)/>

Hi Shireen - what is noni fruit? How to eat it? TIA.

#10 User is offline   ^five 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 22 August 2008 - 10:00 PM

View Postspheredome, on Aug 22 2008, 07:06 PM, said:

Cinnamon sticks is easily avail from supermarket dried good section. But those that has been cleaned.

Hi speredome - what do you mean 'those that had been cleaned'? :huh:/> I mean, they're just sold in packets as cinnamon sticks - what cleaned and not cleaned?? What about maybe before you use them u scald them with hot water first? But then will the 'properties' be then reduced????

Anyone can advise?

#11 User is offline   Herb Lover 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 23 August 2008 - 12:44 AM

Thought I should share this with you folks....

Read this in wiki ( so dunno how true) ...about most of the 'cinnamon' sticks that we see in Singapore are actually not real cinnamon sticks but cassia sticks. :)/>

Cassia, or Bastard Cinnamon contains coumarin so it is best to use it in moderation. :)/>

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cassia

HL

#12 User is offline   Herb Lover 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 23 August 2008 - 01:22 AM

View Postmarkc, on Aug 22 2008, 06:27 PM, said:

Don't know. I was looking for cinnamon extract and can't find it here in singapore. Online information show that it can help reduce sugar level in blood stream. But some mention that it is best to boil the cinnamon stick yourself instead. As the desirable medicine is water soluble while some other undesirable chemical is soluble only in alcohol.

Cinnamon powder available in the market are just ground cinnamon stick. Which is also not recommended by some webpage. Something about buildup of these powder in body that might cause unknown effect.

Do let me know if you manage to find Cinnamon extract liquid. I need to get some too.

Folks,

Just to share with you what I know about cinnamon in general. The ones we see in the market nowadays are not really cinnamon but rather cassia (a.k.a Bastard Cinnamon). This is the closest substitute to cinnamon but need to caution the extensive use of cassia as it contains coumarin which is bad for health.

This wiki link might be able to help you distinguish between the two.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinnamon

Hope it helps!

HL

#13 User is offline   Herb Lover 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 23 August 2008 - 01:33 AM

View Postskyfiery, on Aug 22 2008, 01:57 PM, said:

Hm...not sure if gynostemma works. Or stevia, which is a sugar substitute without the sugar.

HL, you know quite a bit about this right?

Sky

erm.....I'm not really an authority on gynostemma lah...coz whatever I know about gynostemma is from either the brochures (from Oh Chin Huat) or from the internet.

The thing is there are lotsa websites claiming that gynostemma (a.k.a JiaoGuLan) can lower blood sugar level, regulate blood pressure and many other wonderful effects. One also has to take these claims with a pinch of salt as they come from websites selling gynostemma tea/extracts. :)/>

I personally like the taste of the gynostemma and I've so far recommended a few forummers to try it, including Sky and Karen. :)/>

As for Stevia and Miracle Berry, they do not help in reducing blood sugar level (as far as I know) but rather they give diabetes sufferers the opportunity to taste sweet things without incurring the unhealthy side effects of normal sugar intake.

There are some who claim that the leaf infusion of the mulberry plant helps in lower blood sugar level. I've even bought a packet myself from Thailand a couple of years ago. That is something you can try at almost zero cost as we have many forummers with this plant. :)/>

Hope that helps. :)/>

HL

#14 User is offline   spheredome 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 23 August 2008 - 02:12 PM

I was referring to those nicely cut and packed found in NTUC. They looked very clean. There are cinnamon powder too for spices.

Running over hot water will do just fine. Out of curiousity after reading Mind & Body, it tried one stick with hot water, tasteless except for the weak smell.

View Post^five, on Aug 22 2008, 10:00 PM, said:

Hi speredome - what do you mean 'those that had been cleaned'? :huh:/> I mean, they're just sold in packets as cinnamon sticks - what cleaned and not cleaned?? What about maybe before you use them u scald them with hot water first? But then will the 'properties' be then reduced????

Anyone can advise?

#15 User is offline   evayang 

• Pip

Posted 23 August 2008 - 04:00 PM

Thanks shamrock and HL for your input.

Shamrock,

any idea of the chinese name for andrographis paniculata?
andrographis paniculata seems a possible try for supplement along with diabetes tablets.

about the discussion of miracle berry/fruits at?

HL,

you really know much about these herbs.
great thanks for the links. :)/>

Markc/HL,

heard about cinnamon, which is as per say... those being sold in the market might not be that of cinnamon but rather cassia.
and that those of pure cinnamon are rather ex.
will keep a look out on the liquid extract,mark. ;)/>

#16 User is offline   evayang 

• Pip

Posted 23 August 2008 - 04:00 PM

Btw, you guys got idea how to do away with this double thread?
Have msg the administrator.
shall we move to discussing at the other thread?

Sincere apology to the double thread and confusion.

#17 User is offline   wilson 

• Founder
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Root Admin
  • Interests:Back to edibles...

Posted 23 August 2008 - 04:03 PM

Hi All,

I have merged the two topics into one. Hence do continue with the discussion in this single topic now.

Wilson

#18 User is offline   evayang 

• Pip

Posted 23 August 2008 - 04:04 PM

thanks wilson :D/>

#19 User is offline   shamrock 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 23 August 2008 - 06:04 PM

View Postevayang82, on Aug 23 2008, 04:00 PM, said:

Thanks shamrock and HL for your input.

Shamrock,

any idea of the chinese name for andrographis paniculata?
andrographis paniculata seems a possible try for supplement along with diabetes tablets.

about the discussion of miracle berry/fruits at?

HL,

you really know much about these herbs.
great thanks for the links. :)/>

Markc/HL,

heard about cinnamon, which is as per say... those being sold in the market might not be that of cinnamon but rather cassia.
and that those of pure cinnamon are rather ex.
will keep a look out on the liquid extract,mark. ;)/>

hi evayang82,

there is a discussion on miracle fruit here:
http://www.greenculturesg.com/forum/index....showtopic=11835

some people call andrographis paniculata 'sare cho' (literally translated into 'snake grass'). it's quite common so i think some forumers will be able to help you out there.

i hope some of our suggestions will be helpful.

#20 User is offline   Shireen 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 23 August 2008 - 10:54 PM

View Post^five, on Aug 22 2008, 09:57 PM, said:

Hi Shireen - what is noni fruit? How to eat it? TIA.

The noni fruit looks like a mini pineapple which has been peeled. It is green when young and turns white as it ripens. It grows on a tree and the leaves are also occasionally used in Asian cooking as a wrap. It enjoyed great popularity a few years back when Tahitian noni or Hawaiian noni juice was sold by MLMs at exorbitant prices as a sort of cure-all but some of the enthusiasm has died down though I saw a shop near Tanjong Pagar MRT station that still sells it. It is a fairly common tree, actually. There are two near my home. A month ago I was climbing a ladder to pick a whole basketful for a friend who had recently been diagnosed with diabetes. Basically, she took the ripe fruit and juiced it. Then, she cooked that together with the juice of some apples (to make it more palatable). She said the whole house stank and her son complained. :unsure:/> Then she drank a little every day - by holding her nose and gulping it down really fast. She hasn't asked me for another basketful yet.

I have heard that it is eaten in a salad in Indonesia when it isn't too ripe. It doesn't smell until it is ripe. Then, it is white and squishy.

View PostHerb Lover, on Aug 23 2008, 12:44 AM, said:

Thought I should share this with you folks....

Read this in wiki ( so dunno how true) ...about most of the 'cinnamon' sticks that we see in Singapore are actually not real cinnamon sticks but cassia sticks. :)/>

Cassia, or Bastard Cinnamon contains coumarin so it is best to use it in moderation. :)/>

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cassia

HL

Yes, it is very hard to get real cinammon. If you look at real cinammon, you will know it is the real thing if the curls are paperthin, fine and tightly rolled. Cassia is thicker and the spiral will just be one or two turns. The smell of real cinammon is wonderful.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users